The shame of the ACD and the 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by koobcamuk, Sep 9, 2007.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I recently bought an ACD and love it. Looks amazing on my desk in all of it's apple glory.

However, I have just purchased an xbox 360 and hoped to plug it into my ACD. However, I am going to need to take back my 10 day old ACD and buy a Dell monitor (ugly but better in this case).

I am upset to be honest - I hoped there would be a cable out there that would allow me to do this properly.

Looks like I will get a 20" Dell widescreen monitor. Thought about the 24" but that raises the price bar once more... so I am not sure. Maybe with an educational discount it is possible...

Lame. Annoying that tha ACD don't have the ability to display the xbox 360 or that some clever person has come up with an affordable option.

:rolleyes:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The ACD is aimed at video, imaging and design pros and prosumers, not at those wanting to play games on it with consoles.

If this feature was so important to you, you should have checked its specs and ports first; this information is publically available and people here would have answered your questions for you before you rushed out and bought on an assumption. Let the buyer beware.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The ACD is great for what it is as Blue Velvet pointed out.

4. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Well, at the time of buying it was not 'so important' to me. I am literally posting just so that people know that the ACD is not going to work - without reading through all the arguments and discussions.

It really is a sweet display. It really is. I am debating getting an HDTV and keeping the monitor for my work. The dell is not what I want in my office really.

It's just a shame that I can't plug the 360 into this awesome display. That is why this is called 'the shame of the ACD and 360'. In my mind, the 360 should output so that the ACD can pick it up - does that make it sound nicer? Either way, it is just a shame that it doesn't work.

I knew the ports and the specs of the ACD and it didn't bother me - but since then I have decided to get a 360. I'll just have to think long and hard about what I want.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe you should have checked threads back to Dec 2005 when the 360 was launched. We early adopters already posted that the ACD does not work with the 360 unless you buy an expensive adapter/converter box.

So 20 months later after - it's a bit late to start the moan ;)

But rest assured - the Dell monitors work great via VGA, but be WARNED now. If you go for 24" and decide to hook up via component, be aware that it have VERY dissapointing results. Your best bet is still VGA or alternativly if you went for an Elite, HDMi - DVI cable.

Now get back to bioshock ;) :)

6. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

So, what do you recommend - just go for the 20" and spend the money on games? :rolleyes:

I am not complaining - just making a thread with an easy to find title as I still find people asking this question.

At any rate, I am getting some great advice off you guys... ;)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually if you can get the 20" cheap, then yeah I'd suggest you go for that instead and put the saving to games or maybe an ipod touch ;):D

I know your not complaining hence my ;) in the reply.

Of course it's more than probable the minute you get rid of the ACD, go buy a Dell, apple will silently upgrade all the ACD's to feature component or hdmi... :p After all the ACD's are really overdue an update.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Dell route is a good route. 360 and VGA = can't go far wrong! I'd love to get an ACD, a higher price and lack of inputs really turns me away :eek:

9. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That's true.

If this happens within 14 days then I will just take the dell back and get a new ACD. ;)

Yes, a dell 20" and an iPod touch sound nice indeed :rolleyes:

10. stagecustom macrumors regular

explain? my friend has that exact set up with a 24" and has no problems. isn't it true that VGA can only do 720p i have 19" widescreen LG monitor and vga looks amazing. :)

please explain the component.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

360 + Dell 2005FPW works awesome. However, I still bought a 30" ACD because I have a 42" TV if I want to play xbox.
    I think if you need a tv to play games and a monitor then it's time to take the ACD back.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Easy, nothing to do with resolution, but to do with the monitors image processing via component.

Simply put, the 2407FPW, has compared to a standard HDTV, terrible image processing over component.

On a normal HDTV, there is often little difference between Component & VGA or even HDMI, because of the quality of the image processing unit inside the TV.

On the 2407FPW though, there is a noticeable loss of quality when using the component input, especially if you compare it to VGA or DVI (hdmi-dvi) on the same unit.

The 2407FPW is a great monitor, but component input isn't it's strongest point.

13. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

If anyone's interested... I bought a 22" Samsung Syncmaster this morning. Was going to take the ACD back, but the I can't. After using the ACD I miss it already from my desk. I'll keep the syncmaster soley for the xbox and call it my own xmas present to myself. Won't be buying an ipod touch. :rolleyes:

The ACD colours and high DPI just sway me to it for work use.

I am sure games are going to look great on my 22" samsung. They better had! :D

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Enjoy :)

15. stagecustom macrumors regular

but i was to understand that vga can only be 720p via 360, THUS the component at 1080i must look better, no?
    I thought it didn't look bad for him, i think VGA looks amazing for me, hi def content is amazing on it. :)

16. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Thanks dude. I am just hoping now that 720p is going to look good. The res is the 1680 by 1050 as native, so can someone confirm that the XBOX graphics will look amazing? :)

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

No, just because it's 1080i doesn't mean it'll look any better. First, as already explained, the video processing that takes the component signal and turns it into something LCD can display apparently stinks (I say apparently because I don't have one). Second, the display itself is not interlaced, so sending it an interlace signal means it has to do the deinterlacing and there's a good chance it'll do it poorly - sending it a progressive signal from the start will be a better bet.

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The one real shame I find with the 360 is that it doesn't upscale in 16:10, so VGA tops out at 1368x768 before suddenly jumping to 1920x1200. However, there's a petition going round on the MS forums to get them to add it next update :)

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No. As long as your monitor supports it - VGA can output 1920x1080

20. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Ah, ok. So it'll look good - but will hopefully look better in the future? Sweet. :cool:

[​IMG]

5.1 for the xbox when it gets here. It'll go on the right next to the 22" samsung... ;)

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

How good it looks tends to fluctuate when not being run at a native res - for example, GoW looks surprisingly crisp on a friend's 19" LG, but Crackdown is a bit rougher round the edges than it is on my 4:3 17"

22. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Some dude posted here:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=375090&page=2

"Aravance dont bump a year old thread with incorrect information. All the current Apple displays are DVI-I and can be adapted to VGA. Only the old apple displays with the ADC connetors are DVI-D only"

So, does that mean it works??

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No, & there's no reason to double post ;)

The information he posted is incorrect.

24. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Sorry about the double posting, but I wanted to get this answered ASAP. Won't happen again! :D