Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
The 1.42 is now gone from Apple's on-line store (only the 1.25 is now listed in different configs from what I can tell). It was available for SHIPPING from the beginning of March until June 24th - LESS THAN 4 FULL MONTHS! Is this the shortest lived Macs or are there other contenders for that title?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, that's just weird. Why would they do that?

I wonder if there was a problem with them, or if they're overly concerned about the noise/heat levels......

But they are OS9 bootable - weren't the latest round of 1.42 not available for OS9?

D

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ok, that's just weird. Why would they do that?

I wonder if there was a problem with them, or if they're overly concerned about the noise/heat levels......

But they are OS9 bootable - weren't the latest round of 1.42 not available for OS9?

D

Well - no problems that I know of and my 1.42 is quieter than the first MDDs versions of 2002...

What's even weirder that with a ship date of late august or early sept. 2003 for the g5s, removing the 1.42 has actually lowered the most powerful machine one can buy directly from apple for the next two months. I suppose they want folks to be incentivised to go to the G5, but if someone needs a computer tomorrow that's not going to help. I know there's probably stock at Mac Mall and the like, but it seems a bizzare thing for Apple to do.

On the other hand, why not keep the 1.42 in there and just lower the price of the G4s?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
those chips will be used

i bet those chips will be used for upcoming imacs or emacs, or stocked away with motherboards for service and warranty inventories

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of Interesting that this is esentially bringing back the dual 1.25GHz MDD Rev. A PowerMac from August 2002, all the 2003 MDD machines (except for this version the OS 9 Legacy MDD) are gone.

Short life for the FW800 Rev B machine. :confused:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
my guess:

apple's marketing surveys indicated that once the g5 was announced, consumers would pay only so much for a new powermac. the only powermac apple could sell for a profit was the 1.25 (i.e. the cost of the 1.42 pmac was greater than that magical amount).

so the solution was simply to drop the 1.42 from the lineup and weather the storm until the g5 pmacs were available.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
AFAIK - the 1.42 is not sold by Moto, so Apple must be choice selecting CPUs and overclocking them.

Since moto does sell the 1.25 Apple doesn't have to pay any special attention (re spend additional cost to qualify them).

Maybe this is the reason why they are no more - they really shouldn't have been in the first place... and were a stop gap until the G5 could be unveiled?

They are still pretty nice machines.

My 2 yen.

-Wyrm

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Wyrm
AFAIK - the 1.42 is not sold by Moto, so Apple must be choice selecting CPUs and overclocking them.
People are so used to Motorola bashing they never read the specs. :rolleyes:

Motorola has been supplying the Rev 3.3 7455s to Apple for a quarter, this is before they made their public appearance this month.

Which is also why the 7457s will be inside Apple's before Motorola sells them to the market.

And why go to the expense of choice selecting processors if you're only going to overclock them 20MHz. :eek:

How silly.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by zimv20
apple's marketing surveys indicated that once the g5 was announced, consumers would pay only so much for a new powermac.

so the solution was simply to drop the 1.42 from the lineup and weather the storm until the g5 pmacs were available.

na, close but did you look at the prices? Top of the line dual 1.25 G4 is more than than the dual G5 - the thing they're banking on here is OS 9 compatiblity - thats how they're going to sell these.

Scary actually. Getting an older G4 for more than a new G5.....:eek:

D

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Originally posted by Sun Baked
People are so used to Motorola bashing they never read the specs. :rolleyes:

Motorola has been supplying the Rev 3.3 7455s to Apple for a quarter, this is before they made their public appearance this month.

Which is also why the 7457s will be inside Apple's before Motorola sells them to the market.

And why go to the expense of choice selecting processors if you're only going to overclock them 20MHz. :eek:

How silly.

Oooh - guess I'm wrong... Moto does have this part.

It's a real puzzle - and not the first time Apple has introduced something that will ship... eventually... sometime.... but not quite yet.

Maybe they only made a batch or so - I think they make them in huge lots of something like 60,000 units, so either make another batch with the chance that you'll be stuck with a ton of inventory, or let the channel run dry?

Yodobashi here in Tokyo still carries the 1.42: http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/i.jsp?oid=6930996
(same price as the 1.8Ghz G5 BTW)

I got it! This is Apple's way of rewarding the loyal channel - since you can only buy it from the channel and not from Apple... make sense? (problem is, who gets stuck with the unsold stuff come August 15?)

-Wyrm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.