The silly mute button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karlth, Aug 24, 2011.

1. karlth, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

karlth macrumors regular

You are at a funeral and have to silence your iPhone.

How can you do that without turning off the phone?

Well first you have to flip it to Mute which partly mutes the phone - some applications simply don't listen to the mute switch also alarms will sound. So what you'll also have to do is to open an application, as othewise you'd be adjusting the ringer volume which is already muted, and finally then lower the volume using the side buttons.

Why doesn't the Mute switch actually Mute the phone?

2. Schweitzer macrumors regular

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I've never come across any application that goes off when the mute switch is slipped to silent unless the user prompts the application to play a sound. Like a game. That's when you'll have to mute it entirely.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I like that alarms go off, because I use it for my alarm in the morning.

Through the night, I dont want to hear texts and emails coming in.

Also, you shouldn't be playing games at a funeral

5. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Alarms will still play when in mute, I like that feature as I use that at work for timers I need. I haven't run across any other apps that will though.

6. karlth thread starter macrumors regular

You wouldn't want an alarm, you forgot, to go off during a funeral. Many people use alarms as reminders.

Applications that ignore the mute button are not only games. Runkeeper, Jamie Oliver cooking, etc.

Which ever way you turn it, it is just silly that a mute button only mutes some applications.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Here's an idea: turn off notifications for those applications.

Problem solved.

8. karlth thread starter macrumors regular

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You're at a funeral. Who gives a ***** about whether or not an application can or cannot go off after the phone is muted?
    Have some respect for a few moments in your life and just turn the stupid piece of plastic off. Trust me, you won't die if its turned off.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

How would Audio be playing through the speakers unless you're directly interacting with it? Have some respect for the dead, man. Just turn it off.

Again, problem solved.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Perhaps at a funeral you should be paying attention to the service and have the iPhone OFF, or at least those applications shut down. If you feel you must open "Runkeeper, Jamie Oliver cooking, etc." you can hold the volume button all the way down.

OBTW, who the h*** is thinking about menu planning at a funeral? Unless it it "How To Serve Man."

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

+1

TextFree is one app that sounds despite the mute switch but I'm sure there have to be others.

13. karlth thread starter macrumors regular

Oh dear!! :p

The funeral was an EXAMPLE

It might be in your bed with your wife sleeping. It might be in a bus. It might be during a boring speech.

A mute button that only mutes most of the time is silly.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

this is probably my favourite feature of the iPhone... i like that i can mute my iPhone from calls/texts/emails for the night, yet have the alarm wake me up when i need to be up for work.

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

An entire thread about a button on a phone that works as its designed to is also "silly".

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Wha apps would go off apart from alarms? Turn off your alarm it's that easy

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just skip the funeral and send flowers
    Better yet, make a contribution to a charity in their name :cool:

18. karlth thread starter macrumors regular

As designed?

From the iPhone manual:

"In ring mode, iPhone plays all sounds. In silent mode, iPhone doesn’t ring or play alerts and other sound effects."

And now for the funny bit:

Important: Clock alarms, audio apps such as iPod, and many games still play sounds through the built-in speaker when iPhone is in silent mode.

So not really silent. Bad design.

19. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

then turn off your alarms while at the funeral and dont open any apps during the funeral, problem solved

20. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I understand what you mean. I had my alarm set thinking it would just vibrate like my b,ackberry did. No it rang at full volume as I was checking customers out in line. I will never use this as an alarm for when I get off again.

I've also accidentally opened apps in e middle of lectures that played noise upon opening. When I want my phone silent I want everything silent, even my alarms. My phone vibrating for minutes on e d on my wooden side table is enough to wake me.

21. mach macrumors regular

I was confused about this at first as well, but think of it this way. There are two volume levels you're controlling on the iPhone:

- "Ring" volume level, which applies to ringtones and SMS tones
    - "Sound" volume level, which applies to music, game sounds, etc.

If no music is playing, the volume rocker controls the "Ring" volume level. The mute switch turns this on or off.

This does not affect the "Sound" volume level (of music, for example). There are four ways to control this:

- Double-tap home button on Lock screen
    - Double-tap and swipe right twice in multitasking tray
    - Open iPod app
    - Volume rocker while music is playing

This would be why you still hear sounds even though the phone is muted—there are two independent volume levels to monitor. Hope that helps!

22. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

The dumb phone I have now has two mutes. an Alarm Only and a Silence All. There should be a preference or something, but when you mute something you expect it to be completely silent.

23. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Look OP, you're telling the wrong people.

We can't do anything but listen to you whine and as a side note, I've never experienced "silly" with the mute button

Here's a thought, contact the developers and tell them about your silly problem, maybe they can help you out

24. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Silly mute button, silly topic.

And in those situations, why would you use a phone(except on a bus)? If its on your bed with your wife, you should either be sleeping or reading or etc, if you want to play a game, why do you have to mute? Let your wife come and join if its possible. In a boring speech, dont play games, try paying attention and maybe some of the boring speeches could actually help you in your work.

25. karlth thread starter macrumors regular

And what books am I allowed to read?