The silver ring around the outside of the iPhone 3G scratches very easy...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 12, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Seriously, its like the back of a iPod!

I have had the phone for about one or two days and its only been in my pocket with nothing else in there and I have scratches on the outer metal thing surrounding the iPhone!

2. daisuke07 macrumors regular

3. 226896 Guest

Yea it isn't great on mine either. They're hardly noticable, but still.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

My chrome scratched even with a case on it--its unavoidable if you use your phone like a normal person. I bet the chrome gets retired after a few revisions.

5. diggator macrumors member

diggator

Ditto - becareful of the cases, they help scratch also...

6. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I'm right with you. I've had mine for 5 days and there is some scratching on the silver bezel. Initially I was upset about it but what are you going to do? All my iPods scratched over the years and I got over it...

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Those aren't scratches. They're scuffs. They give the metal a nice, paterned look, similar to brushed aluminum.

Many things are made from similar materials as it's a nice look that feels "real" as opposed to glossy, cartoony perfection.

The iPhone doesn't come that way, but lets the process occur naturally. So yes, your phone looks different the first month than it will the rest of its life, but the fact is that it's getting MORE beautiful with time as the scuffs improve its apperance.

That's the problem with computer people. You all live your life with exact pixels and bright icons and the straight lines of an OS. Everything's a 1 or a 0 and that's that. I think many of us have lost the ability to appreciate the beauty of the real world and the objects that reside in it. Scuffed, brushed, or grained metals are all beautiful and full of character. It's sad that these atributes are now seen as "flaws."

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

My 3g has been naked since I bought I bought it a few months ago, and the back is a little scuffed, the chrome also, but the screen is flawless. You're never gonna keep anything 100% pristine, but for me, as long as the screen is unmarked, then all is good.

9. navigates macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue. I even researched ebay for a replacement and went ahead and got the performance plan. I'm sure in about a year or so I'll have some issue with this phone and will get it replaced and restart the clock for a new bezel.

I believe there is a place the sells brushed bezels for 3g. That would be a good alternative.

10. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Dont get me wrong, I am willing to live with it, I have just switched to the 3G from a first gen iPod touch I owned for a little over a year... Without a case! Just imagine the back of that! :eek:

I dont agree we should actually be happy our £360 phones are getting scuffs (which still look like scratches) after a day or two, but its just something we need to put up with.