Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of this new law?

• For it

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • Against it

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
What are your thoughts on this? For it, against it, or not sure? I personally love it, and would like to see it in every state. I'd especially like to see it in California, where hardly anyone seems to know the left lane is for passing and not cruising the same speed as everyone else. There's always some "slow poke" (I have a different name for them) driving in the left lane. Quite irritating.

http://www.wtvm.com/story/25929448/slow-poke-law

Good news for Georgia drivers who get frustrated with people driving slowly in the left lane; not so good news for the ones driving slowly.

Many drivers will now need to pay attention to avoid getting pulled over in the left lane, thanks to one of the new Georgia laws that just went into effect on July 1, 2014.

The new "Slow Poke" law, officially known as House Bill 459, is made to reduce tailgating, road rage and traffic congestion while improving traffic flow.

This new law requires slow drivers in the left lane on a Georgia highway, interstate or expressway to move to the right when a fast car approaches them from behind.

"The spirit of the new law is very simple," explained Al Barber with Barber's Driving School. "We want to reduce traffic congestion and other problems that cause collisions out there. The number one cause of collision in Georgia is people following too closely. And it's a domino effect when rear-ended collision happens. It causes problems for not just two vehicles, but multiple cars. I think the 'Slow Poke' law is a good law for the overall safety for the public."

The new traffic law also allows officers to give a ticket or warning to the slow drivers who disturb the flow of traffic by going too slow in the left lane.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Actually, many laws allow tickets for 'obstruction of traffic' which can include someone driving too slow. Although rarely ticketed, it IS against the law to drive too slow.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Will following too close also result in a ticket?

I've driven a bunch in the GA/AL area and these are some of the worst drivers I've ever driven near.

For the record, of course I move over for faster traveling cars.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The "Slow Poke" Law: Slow drivers in the left lane will now be ticketed in Ge...

Sounds great for a draconian state's revenue stream, and beefing up police discretionary power to harass citizens. Conservative dream come true, no surprise implemented in such a red state.

Ticket for driving the speed limit.
Double tickets for over the speed limit and in the left lane.

Pass someone in the left lane, push 7 over to go around. Not fast enough to bust you for speeding, but cop wants to anyway. He busts you for hogging left lane. Your word against his in court. Fast drivers gonna get bitten.

4-6 lane interstates are often marked max allowed speed of 55, most drivers even in middle lanes are doing 65-70. They are implementing a variable electronic sign on North perimeter that will vary down to 35mph.

State looking for all kinds of ways to ticket more, and ticket more severely.

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Good idea. I commute on a 2 lane parkway to work and I regularly encounter ass holes who think it's their job to regulate the speed of others.

I'd also recommend we ban Prius' from the left lane. :D

Sythas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Québec, Canada
I do think that Police force have the right already to give a ticket for people in the left lane who should not be there. Even if you go fast in the left lane you can be given a ticket if you stay there without any car in the right lane.

I think it's just to have more revenus by forcing the policeman to give more ticket for that, not to help the population.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Good idea. I commute on a 2 lane parkway to work and I regularly encounter ass holes who think it's their job to regulate the speed of others.

I'd also recommend we ban Prius' from the left lane. :D

tumblr_m11uy1CwFZ1r4n4yf.gif

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When I had a rental Prius, I was doing 80 down the highway. Granted, it took awhile to get to 80, but once I'm there, why should I be banned from the left lane? ;)

I rented a Prius once in Denver. I got about 20 miles from the rental location, turned around and went back for another car.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
If this were implemented in the UK, it would cause so many problems. For one, everyone in the right-most lane / passing lane (we drive on the opposite side of the road) speeds over the 70mph limit. If it's clear, then you get cars passing anywhere from 80 - 120 mph. As soon as they see a police car merging, or coming up behind them they'll slow down to 70mph as to not get a speeding ticket. In doing so, the third and second lanes will have cars doing 70mph, and the left-most doing around 55-60mph. The police can then ticket anyone in the right-most lane as they should be in the lane to their left.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a lose lose situation, as soon as the police merges with the motorway: you either get a ticket for going too fast (90% of people in the far most passing lane is speeding, whenever traffic permits), or a ticket for being in the wrong lane (after you slow down when you spot a police).

I've never once seen a person in the right lane going 70 when he/she can be in the middle lane. Most people are very willing to move over from the 3rd lane to the 2nd lane after they've finished overtaking, especially with an audi up your rear. The bigger problem here in the UK is people who stay in the middle lane even when there's no traffic on the left.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I think this will solve problems a lot, though it is a bit "unfair" in some aspects; I hope that they don't JUST target the slow people- maybe also pursue the aggressive drivers as well with a bit more conviction?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If this were implemented in the UK, it would cause so many problems. For one, everyone in the right-most lane / passing lane (we drive on the opposite side of the road) speeds over the 70mph limit. If it's clear, then you get cars passing anywhere from 80 - 120 mph. As soon as they see a police car merging, or coming up behind them they'll slow down to 70mph as to not get a speeding ticket. In doing so, the third and second lanes will have cars doing 70mph, and the left-most doing around 55-60mph. The police can then ticket anyone in the right-most lane as they should be in the lane to their left.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a lose lose situation, as soon as the police merges with the motorway: you either get a ticket for going too fast (90% of people in the far most passing lane is speeding, whenever traffic permits), or a ticket for being in the wrong lane (after you slow down when you spot a police).

I've never once seen a person in the right lane going 70 when he/she can be in the middle lane. Most people are very willing to move over from the 3rd lane to the 2nd lane after they've finished overtaking, especially with an audi up your rear. The bigger problem here in the UK is people who stay in the middle lane even when there's no traffic on the left.

Yes, same here.

All this law is, is a new revenue source for the state, more power for cops to harass citizens.

The locals know it. It's the fascist streak in our conservative party here shining through. GA is a red/conservative state.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Yes, same here.

All this law is, is a new revenue source for the state, more power for cops to harass citizens.

The locals know it. It's the fascist streak in our conservative party here shining through. GA is a red/conservative state.

You practically wrote the same thing twice. I get it, you don't like conservatives. It's not like conservatives are the only ones to pass a new ridiculous revenue source such as the California Mileage Tax Would Charge Drivers Based on Distance Driven.

Also, for the record, Washington passed this law first which is a blue state. Washington state cracking down on slow drivers in left

But, but, but, conservatives!

I'm merely commenting on the fact that I'm GLAD that "slow poke" drivers will finally learn a lesson for going slow in the left lane, or whenever there's an opening in the lane to the right.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
For it with exception.

I think slow pokes should be ticketed, but slow poke has to be defined.

To many times I see someone doing 90 being tailgated by another wanting to drive as fast as humanly possible when the speed limit is in fact 70.

I support this law, but more so I support safe driving. Slowpoke is !== someone speeding less than me but 20 above limit.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
We have a law like that here, but as usual, enforcement lasts a week. Most of the time when out of the city is good, but you get the usual jack ass camping in the left lane on a 4 lane highway with 2 cars insight. And of course the usual merge as quickly as possible to the far left lane and do the speed limit.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
This is simple driving etiquette. I don't really approve of making it a law, but it seems like the only way some drivers will learn. Stricter driver's licensing requirement would fix 90% of the problem on US roads.

I don't understand the average American drivers at all. First of all, most lack the adequate driving skills. Recovery from a skid, threshold braking, avoidance maneuvering (swerving safely), bad weather driving, trailer towing are all skills that the average American lack. Despite the short comings, most insist that 3-4 car length is sufficient room for emergency braking/evasion.:rolleyes: The ridiculous number of chain reaction crashes says otherwise.

The only real solution is stricter licensing requirements, like they have in Europe. On a trip to Europe, I actually felt safer driving around France and Germany than I do driving in the States. Safer despite the narrower roads and higher speed.:cool:

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
This is simple driving etiquette. I don't really approve of making it a law, but it seems like the only way some drivers will learn. Stricter driver's licensing requirement would fix 90% of the problem on US roads.

I don't understand the average American drivers at all. First of all, most lack the adequate driving skills. Recovery from a skid, threshold braking, avoidance maneuvering (swerving safely), bad weather driving, trailer towing are all skills that the average American lack. Despite the short comings, most insist that 3-4 car length is sufficient room for emergency braking/evasion.:rolleyes: The ridiculous number of chain reaction crashes says otherwise.

The only real solution is stricter licensing requirements, like they have in Europe. On a trip to Europe, I actually felt safer driving around France and Germany than I do driving in the States. Safer despite the narrower roads and higher speed.:cool:

Or have a computerized simulation of emergencies when you go to get your licence renewed. That has to be done every 4 years, right? I think that if they could develop a simulation in which your reaction to certain emergencies is judged on how safe of a driver you are, then the idiots that cause complete murder on the highways could be removed. And public transportation would be saved from the depths of bankruptcy.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
This is essentially a law in many states already, as noted by someone else. Many states have a "obstruction of traffic flow" that can be used for this purpose, though it's rarely used as such. On many highways in New York they have signs posted as "keep right except to pass", same thing.

If I'm doing 10 or more over and I'm in the middle of passing someone, or a line of cars with no safe place to pull in, you can tailgate me all you want and I won't move until it's safe to do so.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
We have a law like that here, but as usual, enforcement lasts a week. Most of the time when out of the city is good, but you get the usual jack ass camping in the left lane on a 4 lane highway with 2 cars insight. And of course the usual merge as quickly as possible to the far left lane and do the speed limit.

In all my travels and time spent on the road, I see it all the time. I will NEVER understand why people do that. It's like "can't survive unless in left lane!!!"

I completely agree.

Or have a computerized simulation of emergencies when you go to get your licence renewed. That has to be done every 4 years, right? I think that if they could develop a simulation in which your reaction to certain emergencies is judged on how safe of a driver you are, then the idiots that cause complete murder on the highways could be removed. And public transportation would be saved from the depths of bankruptcy.

In California yes, your license needs to be renewed every 4 years. I personally am licensed in Arizona which only needs to be renewed every 40 years. I'm sure some other states are like that as well. Also, I know the licenses in Germany last a long time, over 40 years I think.

Pretty much what Heehee and Mousse wrote, just lack of skills and lack of etiquette.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
In California yes, your license needs to be renewed every 4 years. I personally am licensed in Arizona which only needs to be renewed every 40 years. I'm sure some other states are like that as well. Also, I know the licenses in Germany last a long time, over 40 years I think.

Pretty much what Heehee and Mousse wrote, just lack of skills and lack of etiquette.

So you're telling me, when you get your license in AZ at 16 years old, you will will have the exact same card, with the same photo, until you're 56?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
the left lane should only be used for passing, It seems only some areas of the united states (the more rural to be specific) use it for that reason. It allows faster cars to pass and you rarely get stuck behind a "slow poke".

Its really annoying how around me the left lane is considered another lane, rather than a passing lane.

Antares

macrumors 68000
the left lane should only be used for passing, It seems only some areas of the united states (the more rural to be specific) use it for that reason. It allows faster cars to pass and you rarely get stuck behind a "slow poke".

Its really annoying how around me the left lane is considered another lane, rather than a passing lane.

That only works in our area when there is little traffic. Which is not often enough.

Also, what do you do if you are driving faster in the left lane than all of the people in the lanes to the right of you when a person comes up behind you, driving even faster than you are? Must you be forced to go into the slower, right lanes? Fastest person must always be catered to? Doesn't seem fair.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
So you're telling me, when you get your license in AZ at 16 years old, you will will have the exact same card, with the same photo, until you're 56?

Perhaps it's a little different when you're under 21. I was born in August 1989, my current Arizona license was issued in March 2014, and it expires my birthday 2054.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Also, what do you do if you are driving faster in the left lane than all of the people in the lanes to the right of you when a person comes up behind you, driving even faster than you are? Must you be forced to go into the slower, right lanes? Fastest person must always be catered to? Doesn't seem fair.

That's what I do on the Interstate. I cruise in the right lane until I hit slower traffic, then I jump to the left. Once I pass the slow moving traffic, I cruise in the right again. If someone even faster come from behind, I merge into the right and let the speedster pass. That way traffic doesn't build up.

I ain't the police. It's not my place to try and regulate traffic. If he's going too fast, the State Trooper will get him sooner or later. Too bad they can't shot 'em from a helicopter anymore.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.