The social benefit of being concise( keeping it pithy ).

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Sep 13, 2017.

?

Do you tend to think more about what is said, when less is said?

1. I tend to read concise posts, and listen more to concise speakers.

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. I like long winded, nuanced speech.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I tend to believe that expressing you point in a few words as possible is generally the best approach. While some topics are nuanced, it's best to let others think through the nuance of things themselves.

Whether you are engaged in a conversation or giving a speech, people like to feel you are engaging them, not preaching to them, or giving them a lecture. I tend to start to read, or listen to someone when they are being long winded or nuanced, but if they can't make some entertaining or concise points, I'll stop listening or reading.

Not everything boils down to 128 characters or less, but only use the words necessary to get your point across, and don't try to hit too many points.

Just my take on it.

2. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I like a comfortable middle but will lean towards short and sweet. My wife tends to over talk and over explain things. Saying the same point over and over. Probably cause she's a teacher and has to do that in the classroom but she looses my attention when that happens to me. On forums, yeah, short and sweet. All the way. And from the poll results, I see 100% of people agree with me. (I won't even add four more paragraphs to see if anyone gets the irony)

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I live in a world of bullet points so I'll admit to skimming over a good portion of @Scepticalscribe and @LizKat posts if the thread topic is banal.

4. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Why so black and white?

Personally I like both kinds of posts.

5. the8thark, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I agree 100%.

Longer vs Shorter is totally missing the point. It's obvious the OP dislikes longer speech and that's ok. The real issue here is high quality vs low quality speech. Good longer speeches do not over explain anything. Certain things can not be explained with a couple of short bullet points. However some things can be.

The skill here is to recognise what needs shorter speech and what needs longer speech and doing both so things are not over or under explained.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

If you can alter your poll, add a both choice. For myself, the answer is it depends on several factors. I agree that sometimes a wall of text will not reach all readers. I'm guilty of a couple of those type posts and I try to break them up into smaller separated paragraphs. When reading other's long posts, it depends on the writing style and if I'm grabbed up front, then I'll continue reading.

7. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's not really how long it is, it's how concise it is, I'll read and like a long post, or listen to a long speech, but don't blather.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think it depends on the subject and content. Some long reads are worth it, some short posts are worthless.

9. Scepticalscribe, Sep 13, 2017

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

If you skim @LizKat's posts, (I'll pass over your remarks on mine, because I am a European, and we live in, revel in and revere the world of the grey area and the green murky depths of nuance) you are missing out on one of the most eloquent, sympathetic, intelligent, and insightful posters to comment on affairs in the US.

I read her posts closely because I want to know why things have happened, why some things - such as cultural (and political) attitudes that appal me - have come to be the way they are, and her posts attempt to intelligently - and fairly - address these questions in a thoughtful and highly readable manner.

Besides, while the questions 'who, what, where, when' can often be addressed and answered in bullet points, the answers to 'how, and why' usually require a lot more thought and compel nuance.

And, whatever about brevity, posts that scream "Hillary is Evil" or "Trump stinks" tell me nothing new, even if I concur with one while disagreeing with the other.

To the thread title: I would prefer to see "both" as an option, as both have a role in speech, writing and life, as the one does not exclude the other.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Both of you are insightful and I do appreciate that you both take time to post but this post is about as long as I'll read unless the topic requires detail and most of the topics in PRSI don't require detail.

11. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The how and why are often largely subjective information, that tells us a lot more about the person giving their opinions, than it does not lead us to any deeper truth.

The who, what, when, and where, are objective facts, the more objective facts that are used in conclusions, as to how or why, the less people need to state their opinions, because the conclusion speaks for itself.

12. Raid, Sep 13, 2017

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I like big posts and I cannot lie
    You other posters can't deny
    That when a user chimes in with an itty bitty mind
    And a wall of text in your eye
    You get tripped, want to reply all wry
    'Cause you know that post ain't fly
    The nonsense that they're sharing
    I have to tell 'em that they're failing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop caring
    Oh common I want to teach ya
    maybe just wanna beat'cha
    My friends tried to warn me
    but that post you wrote makes (me so angry)
    Ooh, did I get under ya skin
    You say you want to read a source?
    Well I link, and I link
    But you gotta read and think
    I've seen you 'round this forum
    So to hell with my decorum
    You're postin', trollin'
    Using words that you've stolen
    I'm tired of your rants and memes
    Sayin' ignorant, stupid things
    Takin' the average IQ and makin' it worse
    Your thoughts make me wanna curse
    So, posters (Yeah) posters (Yeah)
    Are you tired of all that junk? (Hell yeah)
    Tell 'em to Cut it (Cut it) Cut it (Cut it)
    Cut out that B.S stuff
    Post needs mod

... I'm sleep deprived today :D

13. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Indeed.

But life is not a binary choice; deeper understanding usually comes from studying nuance and mastering the concept that things are - or can be - complex.

14. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I don't deny, that most things are nuanced, but people should think for themselves, we are complex, however our choices don't have to be.

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

@DearthnVader and @Scepticalscribe Been following your discussion, and I just wanted to chime in with out all the quotes. There's a difference between nuance and anecdote, which is very similar to facts(or factors) and opinion. There is a point in statistical modeling where adding more facts/factors may make explanation of the observed easier, but weakens your ability to predict future outcomes accurately.

The one thing that I do know is that complex problems are rarely fixed by simple solutions. Our choices don't have to be complex, but should be wise enough not to contribute to another problem or deffer the problem at hand.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I read concise posts. I write long-winded posts. No contradiction in there whatsoever... :oops:

17. niploteksi macrumors regular

I think the short attention span of readers add to fact polarization.

There are far too much acceptance of different interpretation. Everything is not depending on the viewer. If I have six beer cans and describe that by writing the number "6", it doesn't matter which way you view the "6". It's never a "9", no matter which way you look at it.

The how and why are not dictated by subjective truth and alternative facts.

18. Scepticalscribe, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

But, six beer cans lined up on the table - or bar counter - are a fact, and only someone either blind, intoxicated, innumerate, or disingenuous will attempt to argue otherwise by suggesting that one read it as a 'nine'.

Saying that a nation state has failed to integrate its minorities may also be a fact, but it is the sort of fact that begs to be interrogated with 'hows', 'whys' and 'whenceforths'?

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Black and White with a sprinkle of curse words.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

There have been many times where I had a speech to give that one sentence managed to sum up, and others where two sentences turned into 5 paragraphs. I think the nature of the net is a cause as well, people who know you in life don't need your motivations, your reasoning spelled out. Sometimes you might make a statement online that needs clarification that isn't required in person.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Shorter is generally better, but content matters. If it's lengthy it needs to be a jewelry box 'cuz ain't no one got time to read a junk drawer.

People should write - not to say something, but because they have something to say.

Good writing is art, not something that rises by chance out of an endless string of parenthetical expressions and appositives, and plain ole lists. Stephen King said the worst thing to do is dress up the vocabulary looking for long and obscure words.

Write like MLK, whether long or short...each word carefully chosen to express an idea...nothing but precision.

And blah, blah, blah, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and in conclusion pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This reminds me of a quote I read somewhere (I'll have to paraphrase because I don't remember exact words or who said it)... "There's a difference between being busy and being a busy-body." I think this applies to online arguments too, on multiple topics (not just politics).

23. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I think the "wall of text" when posting to an online forum is exacerbated by the fact that a new paragraph can't be indented.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right. Sometimes we need to define what's beer, and explain the history of bartending, to get to a point where we can reliably argue about how many cans of beer are on the bar.

I resent that. I never look for long words.