The Sony Hack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So by now everyone knows that Sony was hacked. Most likely by North Korea over the movie "The Interview". Now some ethical questions have arisen about the media reporting everything about Sony. Should there be a line drawn about what gets reported or do we have a right to know? I guess you could draw the same conclusions with the Snowden leaks. But in that case it has to do with our rights as Americans. Do we need to know a private business affairs no matter how juicy they are?

The second part is should we go after North Korea over this or put all the blame on Sony for not securing their systems better. And is this something we should be worried about happening more in the future.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Protecting the First Amendment is much more important than protecting Sony's corporate image. The media should have every right to report on it.

As for going after North Korea... their human rights abuses are a much bigger deal than this. It's worth dealing with that, not so much doing it over a hacked Japanese corporation who got caught badmouthing everyone in Hollywood.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

The media should have a right to profit off of stolen, private internal company documents?

4. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

I think this is akin to "Just because you have right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do..."

I don't think that anyone, at least anyone that I know, is denying that the media absolutely has 1st Amendment protection and can print whatever they feel is acceptable.

However, I would submit that all you are doing by printing these emails is helping "the enemy". That's what they want to happen. They want this company to crumble for making these movies. I feel as though this should be looked at as cyber terror and treated as such. The media should take a stand and say "We are not printing these internal stolen documents."

Much like when certain stories were not printed during WWII for fear of helping the enemy. Or more recently when most media outlets decided not to publish the nude celeb pictures that were hacked.

This sort of falls along those same lines....Do we really care what some Sony exec says about an A List Movie star? Not really...Or at least I don't...And I certainly don't think someone should be tarred and feathered by the media with stolen documents that would ultimately ruin her career and possibly her life...

Just my .02 cents...

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Has this been proven because the reports I've read and podcasts I've listened to think this isn't very likely.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Once they've been put in the public domain, they're fair game..... regardless of who put them there.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sony will cave any minute now and not release the movie on 12/25. Yet another win for the "terrorists".

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm no lawyer but I'd bet my two cents that I could find one willing to put that statement to the test in a civil case.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't really care about civil cases..... Once the info is out, its out....

Sony should be protecting their assets properly, they're clearly not.

The PSN network was hacked in 2011, they'd basically not encrypted any users data, and after this latest hack it seems they've not been encrypting their employees confidential info either.

----------

The idea that this is comparable to world war 2 is ridiculous....... WW2 was a struggle against physical and ideological 3rd Reich....... not about some company making money by pisstaking out of a third world country, or not being arsed to protect confidential information properly.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm not gonna lie. This hack made me REALY want to see that movie... A lot.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

You have to wonder whether they just got hacked by some randoms, and thought "wait we've got a film about DPRK coming out, lets blame it on the DPRK to raise its profile".

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I thought North Korea said they did it :confused:

13. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Instead of pontificating, drawing red lines or turning to golf, it seems that Hussein has gone into hiding.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

It called it righteous, but denied doing it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sony-pictures-hack-north-korea-calls-attack-a-righteous-deed-but-denies-involvement-9909945.html

To be fair its not communist style either, if they were really that pissed off they'd record a state sanctioned song with children from around the country glorifying the esteemed leader, and shower sony headquarters with leaflets, before parading some dated military grade nukes through the centre of pyongyang whilst kim jong il overlooks, chain smoking and drinking the finest whisky known to man....... not trouble themself with fandangled gizmos like the internet

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Hiding?

Isn't he set to have a press conference on Cuba in like 45 minutes?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Just like Walker did after 9/11 and Katrina.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Who's this hussein person that seems to be a bane of content on the boards?

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I for one would love to hear your thinking behind that post.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Especially the obsession with calling Obama by his middle name. Who does that?

20. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I do :)

21. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Thanks for the history lesson...:rolleyes:

I was simply saying that just like during those times there's nothing to gain by publishing these internal stolen documents other than "helping the enemy"...I was not trying to compare the severity or causes behind one to the other at all...I was simply saying the media could easily choose not to participate in the publishing of the documents...

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why not? We had eight years of "Dubya."

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Do we know who officially is responsible for the hack? Was saying North Korea a front?

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Carmike Theaters based out of Columbus, GA have decided that they will not screen the movies. Talk about giving the terrorists exactly what they want. So the next time someone doesn't like a movie's plot, they can threaten violence and the theaters will cave in and not run the movies?

25. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Wish that would work for some pop stars.:p