The South discriminates again. Store owner tells "sisters" which days they can shop.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

South France, that is, and a Muslim store owner.

http://www.france24.com/en/20150623...an-bordeaux-muslim-grocery-store?dlvrit=66745

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Did the shop owner seriously just compare steam baths to a grocery store?

3. Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

Yes, because sometimes things get a little steamy in the frozen food aisle, if you know what I'm sayin'. [nudge nudge wink wink say no more]

4. zin macrumors 6502

No different to the Christians in the U.S. refusing service due to somebody's sexual orientation.

Neither should be allowed. If the Muslim felt his business, operating under public law, was violating his deeply held beliefs, he should establish a non-profit religious establishment instead. Or shut down.

Edit: I re-read the OP and the business owner stated that this policy was "not meant to be compulsory". In which case I have no problem with it. He can request his customers do anything. If it's not a "rule" that he was enforcing then this thread is pointless.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

6. Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

I never understand the injection of Christianity into Muslim threads. Is the idea that if a parallel can be drawn between a Muslim action and a Christian action that somewhere the Archangel of Hypocrisy gets its wings? For those of us who are neither Christian nor Muslim, what is the point of drawing the parallel? Might as well compare and contrast the Muslim store owner with a baked potato.

Unless the (needless, insincere, apologist) comparison serves only stifle conversation about Islam. Which by any measure that seems to be the point.

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

What a lame and sad attempt to deflect the topic to "Christianity" based on a very poor "comparison". If you had read the article you would have come to the understanding that the "muslim" store owner by no means is refusing any service towards women or any other groups - as opposed to the kind of "Christian" pigs that attempt to deny service to people of any unwelcome sexual orientation outright :p ;) .

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Their stores - their rules.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If the actions taken are similar, then yes, you can draw a line quite easily. In this instance, it's people using their religious beliefs to determine who can and cannot be served.

It'd only be hypocritical if someone lambasted the Christians while excusing the Muslims for doing almost the exact same thing.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

I only like baked potatoes when they're non-kosher and non-halal. Specifically, covered with sour cream and bacon.

However, if I were to see a store owner covered with sour cream and bacon, I would probably avoid that store. I hope this hasn't served to stifle any conversation on the question of attire for store owners.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Nope. If you open a store to the public in a commercial district, you have to serve the public that comes through there.

And before someone inevitably does it, let me degrease the slippery slope and say that there are exceptions. If someone is breaking your stuff, causing a scene, and being an all around ***hole, you can kick them out of your store and blacklist them to your hearts content. But you can't refuse to serve a well behaved, potentially paying customer because you don't like the color of their skin or what set of genitalia they like having thrown in their face in the wee hours of the morning.

You wanna do that? Start a club. Mark it as a private organization, and make it members only. No one's stopping you from doing that.

12. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Depends on the owner ... sounds like a reason to shop there if you ask me. Can I add chives?

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Every time we buy and sell something, we enter a contract.
    Nobody should be forced to enter a contract.

It's different with the state and corporations.
    They are not people and they should be forced to server everyone equally.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If you open a bakery, it's an expected standard that someone should be able to walk into your store and buy a loaf of bread. When you sell that loaf of bread, you're not entering into a binding contract. You're making a transaction of goods with a couple of legal caveats.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am not really sure about the US, but where I live this is considered a complete legal contract.
    In fact, children under a certain age are theoretically not able to buy stuff here, because they cannot consent to the contract.

16. zin macrumors 6502

The point is that they're both religions? The Christian store owner discriminating because of sexual orientation and the Muslim store owner discriminating because of sex. When I re-read the post, it was clear the Muslim was not enforcing any kind of rule. It was not compulsory. I made that clear in my edit.

If, however, it was a rule, then there'd be no difference between the two. Using religion as an excuse to discriminate.

Which part of that do you disagree with? If you like I'm sure I could make some comparisons to other religions, too. I chose Christianity because most people would be aware of the news articles about discrimination in North America.

If you had read my post, you'd notice that I posted an edit saying I noticed the rule wasn't compulsory, in which case the thread serves no purpose. There'd be no difference if it was a rule, however.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Then Germany has made things way overcomplicated. Unless you're selling an ongoing service, a transaction of goods is simply that. The only concern is that your product is being sold as advertised. Warranty of Merchantability and all that.

18. dec. Suspended

dec.

...which is completely irrelevant for my personal evaluation of them being "'Christian' pigs". :)

(besides the fact that your "statement" obviously is false, in general)

I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek ;) .

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

A store owner can tell any customer to take a hike. The free market system, as it always has, will see to it if the store does okay or if the store loses business.

20. dec. Suspended

dec.

I'm not sure if your little cake baking "Christian" cultist "Melissa" will agree...

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You've shot your own argument in the foot.

Businesses are incorporated. That basically is by nature of them being a business. So according to you, they are forced to serve everyone equally.

So your argument of 'his store; his rules' has been completely shot down - by you.

BL.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't think he's done this maliciously, but I think his wording has just landed him in a spot of hot water.

It doesn't sound like him or his wife are bothered about mixing genders, but possibly some of his customers are bothered, so he put up a noticed saying when they can get served by a male or a female shopkeeper...... I don't see anything wrong with that.

But of course the french with their weird mix of holding people to account for being unjust, mixed with their underlying hatred of anything they don't consider french seemed to have turned this into a story, which unsurprisingly has been jumped on by people who don't even live in france, to fuel an anti islam rhetoric.

Can I go and live on Mars yet?

23. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I think it's always a "but the U.S. does it too" syndrome

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

For time immemorial, the general public decides the fate of a business by voting with their feet and their wallet. Peeved homosexuals and their scum sucking lawyers are a recent phenomenon.

25. samiwas, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015

samiwas macrumors 65816

Country of France. France's rules.

Yeah, those crazy people wanting the same treatment as others.