The speaker grill on the bottom of your 6/6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I_am_a_loser, Jan 14, 2016.

1. I_am_a_loser, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

I_am_a_loser macrumors regular

How do you clean it? I keep my phone in my pants pocket 90% of the time and unavoidably little bits of debris and lint get caught in there, and while it doesn't really bug me, it sort of bugs me. The mesh on the earpiece looks good as new, however. Strange. They must be different materials. Maybe Apple should use whatever they used on the earpiece on the bottom grill for the next iPhone as the stuff on the bottom is a magnet. Anyways, how do you clean yours? I blew lightly in there but nothing happened and I don't wanna overdo it. Sticking something in there isn't an option as I don't want to cause any unnecessary issues. Any tips? What about that canned duster stuff? Too much pressure?

2. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

I've never seen this kind of build up on my phones anyway.
    There are brushes and camera accessories you get get to clean them out.

3. I_am_a_loser thread starter macrumors regular

It's not a lot of buildup. Thanks for the tip. I'll check into that.

4. 938092 Suspended

5. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

I personally wouldn't blow air into the phone, but perhaps a toothpick to pick the lint out?

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No compressed air as it could blow the debris into places you can not get too.

7. I_am_a_loser thread starter macrumors regular

Someone online suggested using a small soft brush like the one that comes with an electric razor, which I have an extra of actually. Gonna use that. Thanks again!

8. MarkX macrumors member

MarkX

9. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Uh Yea, not something I think anyone else would recommend.

10. I_am_a_loser thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not gonna stick anything pointy or sharp in there. I have a brush like the one below that I got with an electric shaver that I've never needed to use. I think it will fit the bill nicely when it comes time to clean the speaker grill out.

[​IMG]

11. MarkX macrumors member

MarkX

Why not?

The speakers are well recessed so if you're careful there is no risk.

12. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Yeah that would probably work really well. I have one of those brushes that came included with my philips shaver.

13. darrylcn macrumors regular

A small brush is how I clean mine as well, I turn on a shop vac and position it so anything loosened is pulled away from the phone. Keeps things nicely lint free just make sure the vacuum doesn't grab the phone.

14. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

To get lint out of the lightening port I use a pin. You'd think it would harm the inside because it's sharp, but my iPhone wouldn't charge due to the buildup and the genius just cleaned it out with a pin and it was fine! I do it every time I notice any difficulty plugging it in

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

The only thing is you probably don't want to use something metal to avoid any potential electric conductivity type of issues.

16. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Perhaps try vacuum?

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't experience this at all (lint or debris) in these holes or the lightning port.

However, my iPhone goes in my pocket upside down and screen facing out so both the lightning port and bottom holes are always facing up.

Makes it easier to answer too as I'm not having to fumble the phone around to the correct position when a call/notification comes in.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

I do the same (except with the screen facing in), but some dust and the like does settle and collect a bit there over time, and it seem like using a case/bumper the covers the bottom and basically just has cutouts might facilitate that accumulation in some ways.

19. MarkX macrumors member

MarkX

His post says an Apple Genius used a metal pin so how can there be any conductivity issues?

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, I'll say this much, just because an employee does (or says) something, it doesn't always mean it's right or at least the best thing to do. Using something metal in a place where electrical charge is involved isn't the best idea generally speaking (even if most of the time nothing might really happen), but even that aside, using something metal would also generally increase the potential to scratch or even in some way damage something. We can go as far as saying that even if it's not the worst idea or perhaps even a bad idea, there are better ones (something that is made of somewhat softer plastic, for example).