The SSD of my dreams is here :D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PAPO, Oct 26, 2011.

1. PAPO macrumors 6502

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ocz_launches_blazing_fast_1tb_25-inch_ssds

slightly faster than the Vertex 3 and finally in 1TB, and it's looking surprisingly cheap (but still steep for most at 1k+ for the 1TB)

if it performs as promised I might finally be able to justify a grand on that SSD I've been wanting for AGES especially not that my 500GB is filling up with the 2.5k+ photos from my new DSLR :p

thoughts>

2. windowstomac macrumors regular

I'd love one....or more to the point, I'd love to have enough money to get one!

3. PAPO thread starter macrumors 6502

I have kind of had the money to get what I want for a while but couldn't justify it, but everything is falling into place; the cheapest PerGB price of any good SSD to date, 1TB so I know I'll have room to grow, and my current HDD only has 130GB of free space and dwindling fast, if not for all that together I wouldn't be able to justify it.

EDIT: sorry 125GB and dwindling :p

4. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I'd recommend an SSD for your boot drive and a 1TB drive in the ODD slot. I understand an SSD for applications, but getting a massive SSD just to store media files (like pictures) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

A 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD would be a lot cheaper and get the same result.

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Precisely.

Assuming $1.30/GB as projected by OCZ, that drive is going to start out at $1300 minimum - or more than the cost of a 13.3" Macbook Pro.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Error-free, extremely reliable and very fast archival system.
    Hard drives fail; SSDs are more reliable, making them more suited for archiving massive amounts of data. Only limiting factor is the cost.
    Would you rather do an Optibay installation of two 1TB hard drives and set up RAID 1 or just buy this SSD if money is no object?

7. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Platter drives are just as reliable as SSDs for all practical intents and purposes, unless you need to have thousands of drives all work flawlessly, without any of them suffering hardware failure.

For the time being, as well as for the foreseeable future, an SSD/HDD combo is the best tradeoff between speed, reliability and cost you'll ever lay your eyes on. In fact, if you balance the drives correctly you shouldn't ever notice a speed difference between an SSD/HDD combo and a full out 1 TB SSD.

8. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

SSDs are still new enough that nobody really knows what their true reliability is in the real world. Yes they are blazing fast but they also have issues that standard platter-based hard drives don't have (i.e., TRIM).

And, the cost-benefit ratio is definitely a factor - right now SSDs run approximately $1-$1.30/GB while standard HDs can be as low as $0.08-$0.10/GB.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

So?

I easily have the money to buy it, but I just find it stupid to spend so much money on it.

10. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I do some video work and editing in After Effects, recording off of a dSLR @ 1080p with file sizes in the gigabytes for only 5-10 minutes worth of video (uncompressed).

An SSD drive would be AMAZING to use for accessing and rendering.

Then theres also my images from the dSLR, which come out to sometimes 30mb per single photo. A library of 1000 shots in a single photoshoot is a pain in the ass to work with sometimes when doing batch processing or even simple image viewing (luckily i use Xee which has pre-caching).

My setup is a 120gb Intel 320 SSD for my OS X boot disk with applications and a 1TB Western Digital in the optical bay partitioned in two; 850gb for storage of projects, movies, music, etc. and 150gb for Windows 7.

I wouldnt mind the 1TB to be an SSD drive, would also mean less heat, less battery consumption, less noise, less weight (slightly) and faster speeds along with better reliability.

The cost does suck. Id prefer a slower SSD drive at a lower price if they made one at 1TB.

----------

TRIM is only an Apple problem because they dont like to incorporate standards that werent set out by Apple itself.

Its rather disgusting, really. Apple has been selling laptops with SSD drives for a number of years now and only recently have they added TRIM and ONLY to their own branded drives.

11. W1MRK macrumors 6502

There are some early adopters who live for releases like this and have to be first in line. Personally I will wait till they get the undisclosed kinks worked out and the price comes down. Way Down.

12. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

worth it

If it will help cut my time down in processing large batches of photos taken in Raw then I would buy it..

13. PAPO thread starter macrumors 6502

I just don't want to do the optibay mod, and tbh I like having an optical bay, but I never said I would buy one straight away, and anyway by the time I can get one here in Australia most of the problems should be sorted anyway