The "Started as Shaving and Somehow Turned into a Discussion on Evolution" threadlet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dilbert4life, Sep 19, 2008.

1. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

You say that only because it is a mantra that you "learned" from kindergarden on. It is not fact, and there is nothing that proves that it is.

You may have come from a hairy monkey, but not me. Oh, that brings up a good point, if we "used to be" monkey's covered by hair (according to your evolutionary THEORY), and are now humans with less hair, it would only follow your evolutionary belief that we will one day have no hair. Therefore, we should shave it all off now in order to speed the evolutionary process!

Shave to help evolution!!!

Hea, yeah right.:apple:

Sorry, I get a little excited sometimes.

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

4,000 years of circumcising their infant sons hasn't changed things for Jewish folks. The whole "Let's force evolution" thing is bunk..

Plucking out the middle of his unibrow hasn't made Peter Gallagher stop getting bushy eyebrows either...

3. dilbert4life thread starter macrumors regular

dilbert4life

Yeah, I agree. You would think, if evolution were real, that it would get the point and simply let the children be born circumcised. But obviously it can't because it doesn't work that way. Actually, it doesn't work at all.

I know, I know, off topic. Sue me.:apple:

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't accept it either fyi, but that's another thread altogether..

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm not going to sue you, but if you wanna debate Intelligent Design and Evolution, both about which you are woefully ignorant, start your own thread in the political forum. Otherwise, kindly stay on topic or this whole thread will be moved there.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Must every remark be a judgement of intelligence?

Once again, that's just an opinion: Yours and mine. Stop assuming I'm woefully ignorant just because you don't happen to believe the same thing I do.

Further, let's delete these last few posts and get back on topic.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

First of all, I wasn't talking to you.

And secondly, dilbert has offered no proof of either of his assertions and has insulted a few people's intelligence himself. I made no comment about his intelligence, merely his knowledge.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well...errr.... it certainly has! :)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Eek! And not for the the better IMO! :)

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

+1…
    Leave well alone I say.
    :eek:

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It seems to me an extraordinarily cruel entrance into the world. "Hey, welcome fella, tough ride eh. But wait, we're not done yet.. where's my knife.." Ouch.

If someone wants to make junior more junior, no problem; but it seems harsh to make that decision for someone else.

Whatever about 'merkins' and all that; THAT is something that's tough to replace!

12. 204467 macrumors 6502a

This...is...the Community Discussion! Aargh! *kicks you into a random hole*

Hey, I've only started two threads of questionable content before!

Doesn't it take you a while to shave that much? Plus, after a few days, aren't you just covered in stubble?

He's making fun of the religious belief that the earth was created 6000 years ago. At least, I thought he was.

13. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I HAVE to comment these:

100% agreed

You clearly don't understand evolution at all.

I'm sorry there is no such thing as "lets force evolution" unless you are talking about breeding, then theres more to it.

To clarify I am not making fun of anyone's believe or anything like that, but just trying to point out obvious ignorance.

14. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

It's funny that an evolution discussion is going on in a thread with a title such as this.

15. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I agree; let's stop doing this before a huge argument/flame war.

16. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'm just pickin' on ya. No offense taken I hope. :)

About your comment about flame wars: Point taken. Let me go get a Gaterade bath.. :D

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Of course those scenarios won't work. If you physically remove an undesirable trait in order to attract mates you are simply perpetuating the undesirable trait since the physical modification to remove it has done nothing to the genetic code that contains it. Hiding undesirable traits hinders evolution rather than helping it.

If we decided that foreskins and bushy eyebrows were undesirable and wanted to breed them out we should outlaw circumcision and eyebrow plucking so that mates can be chosen with less foreskin and no-unibrow so that the genetics that contain these traits are passed on while those unibrowed, turtlenecks slowly die out.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Because when someone rejects thousands of years of scientific evidence and advance they either (1) completely lack intelligence, (2) have an ulterior motivate (i.e. a belief in the supernatural), or (3) they have new, impartial, undeniable scientific proof of an alternative explanation. In this case it is most certainly option 3 so it's either option 1 or 2.

Science isn't just an opinion that is equal to other people's made up opinions. To paint it as such is disingenuous and dishonest. It's like saying an aviation mechanic's opinion on how to service an aircraft is as equal to your lay opinion. You may have a strong opinion on evolution, but that by no means gives your opinion validity at all.

You're more than welcome to your opinion, but you're going to have to back it up with some logic and evidence if you want anyone to take you seriously.

19. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

You've shot yourself in the foot there by completely and utterly failing to understand the basic principles of Natural Selection.

No wonder you don't believe in evolution- you don't actually get what it is.

Without meaning to be rude, you are ignorant of the complexities of evolution, it would appear.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Except for the several lines of scientific inquiry as discussed here.

You may have come from a hairy monkey, but not me. Oh, that brings up a good point, if we "used to be" monkey's covered by hair (according to your evolutionary THEORY), and are now humans with less hair, it would only follow your evolutionary belief that we will one day have no hair. Therefore, we should shave it all off now in order to speed the evolutionary process.[/QUOTE]

I don't what your shaving process entails, but mine doesn't require an actual change in my DNA. Using the same line of thought, a women (a brunette) who dies in her hair blond should have blond children or children with purple hair if she's into punk rock.

This is an oft repeated idea of late and in some things, especially those based around particular tastes, each opinion *can* have equal validity. You may think that Miley Cyrus is a musical genius, while I may believe that good music stopped being made in 1967. Each of these would be opinions and have equal weight (although if you'd never heard anything but Miley Cyrus or you were a music critic the value of your opinion to others might change).
    However, when it comes to biology, engineering, physics, and other fields opinions matter when they are backed by knowledge and experience. I would not hold my nephew's opinion of bridge building (with legos!) in the same regard (though I love my nephew) with someone who was a civil engineer and worked with a engineering firm. Each would have an opinion, but simply put, one matters and the other does not.

Some opinions are simply more valuable than others. And yours, which appears to lack some understanding of evolutionary theory, does not hold the same weight as another's.

21. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I really don't understand the aversion that most religious people have toward chimps. What's so wrong about them, really? What makes us so much better than them? :rolleyes: At least chimps aren't holy-war-ing themselves to extinction or viciously polluting their environment.

You may not like this, but in fact you share 98% of your genes with chimpanzees. We also share a single world with thousands of other equally precious lifeforms, and we're are destroying it relentlessly, in part because a bronze-age book says that it is ours for the taking (including all of its creatures).

We're not that special. We're not any more valid than chimps or other lifeforms. Get over it.

22. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Thank you! *applauds vigorously* The fact that some people don't do the right thing in regard to the earth simply because of something the Bible says really makes me mad. Science is science, keep religion away from people who are studying real, physical things that can be proven to exist. Oh, and if you don't like what I'm saying, you can of course argue; that's what a forum is for, is it not?

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well, no, because it's not beneficial. If it was benefitial then we might have micro-evolved out of it. But my tip of my todger still has its blanket so it must be of some use.

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Chimps are intelligent enough not to believe in God :).

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ironically the chimp brain has a way superior short time memory compared to the human