The state of europe in 2016: German president: "The people are the problem."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It's almost amusing how some of those readers' comments are (think "irony"), but it's a completely mixed bag over there.

But noting your Gandhi-inspired sig line,

Do you agree with one person's response, who mentioned Gandhi:

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

This presidents comments speak volumes: The rulers are annoyed by the fact that they have to answer to the people.

4. FieldingMellish, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

FieldingMellish Suspended

These elites are the equivalent of going to a house party and the host is a braggart know-it-all that dominates the conversation and cuts off any contributing conversation with barely concealed intolerance and with a hint of derision.

5. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Wait a second, how is this even controversial?

It is a well known fact that people generally are walking, talking bags of manure - and the people more so.

6. cube macrumors G5

7. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Just what Europe needs , a german politician saying people are the problem.

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Of course they are. They don't understand and accept - for instance - the latest and greatest manifestation of Merkelism providing a "plausible solution" to European migrant crisis. /s

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

To a German president at another point in time, it was the Jews that were the problem.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Actually not so different from the average redneck in my part of the country who insists that any law with which he takes personal issue is unconstitutional, period. Forget gun laws, I'm talking stuff like stop signs at rural intersections, and prohibition of burning plastic trash in a 50-gallon drum. My trash, my drum, my match, so **** off.

Face it, we're in an era where everyone is pretty much in transmit-only mode, and so always right and therefore a winner. Such a disappointment when reality intrudes, which... sigh... it does all day long most days.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Not even close. Good try. :)

The redneck is not the president of a constituency that he feels oh-so superior to.

... Unless the redneck is the president of the local monster truck club.

14. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Elitist to the People," Everything would be so much better if you would stop fighting us and just do what we say do."

Kind of smacks of a dictatorship or an old monarchy, but really they want to ran things via an unelected committee, like the Communists use to without the social benefits of the Communist State.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The German president is gibbering in terror as he well should. The pitchforks are sharp and the torches ready. The elites will serve as Guys for the glorious revolution.

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The same attitude lives in the US, where the politicians don't understand why they can't just to whatever they think is right, f the people...

17. Cox Orange, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Well, judge on your own about the WHOLE part/context and the translation, what we have here.

For those who understand German, watch from 10:23 onwards.

TRANSLATION
    reporter:
    "is there something you would say to the Brits?"
    Gauck: "[laughs], I would like to, but I refrain. I let them decide freely. [smiles]. Well, concerning Europe; today I would make a different speech - last time [2014] I set up banners "Europe, Europe ever closer, more and more together", today I would say "let us go to work, there is something we have to heal, have to make better, were we have to disuss with each other again, that the individual people*, [full stop] - the elites are not the problem, the people* are the problem, we have to seek talks with them. "Are you really fridghtened that you can't be Poles or British anymore? So, is it so, that one is taking away your national identity from you? No"."
    reporter: "Now, if people have this fear, do we need more Europe or less just right now, then?"
    Gauck: "Well, to defend the idea of a united Europe, it is absolutely necessary to take the hestitant poeple with us; and therefore one can take a pause in the accellerating speed - I wouldn't [however] put the achievements down - I would discuss with them. Think of Portugal in the west and Poland in the east, what advantages the membership has brought to them, economically and politically, what growing and stabelising processes have taken place. But this isn't enough for some, because they feel "oh we aren't allowed to be Brits or Poles anymore"."

* "people", he said "Bevölkerungen", which literally means "populations". There is also "Volk" (a people) and "Leute" (the people, a huge crowd of persons).

! You might also want to listen to the tone of his voice, no arrogance there.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

19. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

My link already had a translation.

Why do you post this again?

20. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Because my excerpt is a bit longer and therefore gives one a better chance of understanding the intention and the general "way" of the content.

Your title lets it sound as if he meant it in an arrogant way ("f. you, stupid people"), but I'll give you that this video that at least brings one small bit more, would give one the context and could allow one to understand it, but the "presentation" again is quite strange. ("counter jihad" and pretenciousness).

I think it is clear that he meant something like "the problem is not to conive the elite, the problem is to convince the people, we must seek discussion and take them with us". Wanting to discuss with someone and take someone with you doesn't sound like someone (Gauck) trys to coax "the people".
    I get the impression that your heard "f. these stupid people. How dare they have an opinion".
    (I don't think its well founded opinions, its fears.)

I agree he would have been better off, if he phrased it like "we failed to explain what the reason(ing) is behind what we are doing". (I know this sounds like a typical statement coming from a smug politician, but it is true.)

But then again, who of these people has the time - or will - to read long articles in newspapers or watch informative news, that would explain them why the EU does certain things or why they are necessary. Tabloid journalism isn't quiet the source...
    I don't blame those people that do an exhausting job and fall asleep on the couch just after thy got home from work. But it is critical, when there are people trying to exploit these people's ignorance which isn't even their fault.

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I lived in the Finger Lakes and don't see that! Plus drive into any American City and you will discover most drivers forgot to use blinkers when turning! :mad:

22. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

And you've repeated it again...

What Gauck said was blunt and not exactly subtle.

23. Cox Orange, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Short for you:

He didn't say "**** you people!" "we will force them",
    he said "we have to reach out to the people (not to the elite)".

The way you shortened it it sounds like "**** you people!".
    If you want the readers decide themselves, if he is a disgusted elitist, that arrogantly wants to get rid of the people or if he says that they (politicians) have to explain better and take people with them, give them the whole passage of his answer.
    Remember? You asked, why I posted the translation again. It brought much more than the link you provided; your's translated a one liner and even that not completely.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

If you're in Tompkins County like around Ithaca, maybe you don't see it. Try Newfield... or c'mon down to Delaware County sometime. Just last week while I waited on line in the DMV to renew an auto reggie, the guy in front of me laid this one on the long suffering clerk: "I mean I'm not sure it's even CONSTITUTIONAL to make us renew for two years at a time instead of just one. My truck might not even last that long."

But she took the complaint in stride: "Ya wanna register the thing, or not?"

Seriously, "not even CONSTITUTIONAL" has become a meme, probably thanks to the harping of talk radio.

So, on topic: Of course the German president is off base for suggesting "the elites are not the problem, the populations are the problem." But at least in the USA, somehow a lot of ordinary people have latched onto a wrong idea in deciding that whatever they find oppressive about their current situation relates to laws passed in violation of our Constitution!

25. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

That's not true.

He didn't say "we have to reach out to the people (not to the elite)".

He said literally "the elites are not the problem, the people are the problem" and that's exactly what he meant.