The story of my free MacBook Pro and some upgrade questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Savage, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I have to share my little story/experience with the very awesome Apple people. This is one of the biggest surprises/coolest birthday presents I've ever gotten.

It all starts with a shower. And a careless 2007 white MacBook owner.

I got out of the shower, started watching some YouTube videos like I like to do, and got a drip of water from my hair in the keyboard. I finally got what I deserved for not being more careful about this. It messed up the keyboard (couldn't type S without getting D, W without getting E, etc.) and made it so the computer didn't think there was a battery attached (accidentally knock the power cord out and off it goes). Very annoying but otherwise the computer was still usable.

I finally brought it to the local Apple store to see about getting it fixed. The girl said it seems like it could be water damage but when she brought it into the back to open it up, she found no signs. She said the repair people might find water damage when it gets sent out. The flat-rate cost to repair it is $280 until they find water damage. Then it becomes about $800. She told me that she will send it out for the flat-rate price for me when I'm ready (and she'll put that in the system in the mean time (didn't have the money yet)). I went back a couple of weeks later to have some kid start telling me he sees water damage and it will absolutely cost $800. And that there isn't anything in the notes about what the girl promised me (by the way, my girlfriend and I made sure that no matter what happens, it will cost $280, and she kept insisting it will). It turns out the original girl that helped us got transferred to another store out of state. So, after speaking with the manager for a little, they agreed to send it out for the flat-rate price as promised. Thanks, Apple.

Here's where the unexpected starts to happen.

I got a call from the store yesterday that my computer has arrived back from repair. Cool. But then the (very, very nice) girl on the phone says they weren't able to fix it. Not cool. The next thing she says is that because they are not able to fix it, they are going to give me a brand new MacBook to replace it with. I assume they meant the regular white MacBook as that would have been the closest equivalent to what I had. However, I would not be allowed to take my beloved computer back nor would I be able to take anything off of it as they claim it is totaled due to water damage (weird... it technically worked fine before I sent it out. Luckily, I backed up my documents and pictures before I sent it out. Not my 8,000+ iTunes library, though.) While I would have preferred to have mine fixed over getting the new replacement, this isn't so bad, I thought. Then I remembered I had upgraded the memory to 4GB and put in a 750GB hard drive. I mentioned that to her and she said put me on hold for about 20 minutes while they discussed what they should do.

She apologizes about the wait and without hesitation or doubt, begins to tell me what their final decision was.

"In the interest of getting you a computer as quickly as possible, we're going to give you the $1,499.00 MacBook Pro and put a 500GB hard drive in it as it's the biggest we have. We can't give you back your old one, though. But if you want, we can send you your old hard drive. Will you be able to come pick it up tonight?"

I was in happy shock for the last 30 minutes of work after that. I got to the Apple store last night and all I had to do was sign my name on a couple of papers. They gave it to me brand new in the box with the hard drive installed. I still can't believe I'm writing this on it right now. They have made me feel good about myself and happy just when I needed it. Thank you, Apple. :)

I do have a couple of questions, too. Since I was basically forced to switch to a new and much better computer (that I've wanted forever) out of nowhere, I want to make it even better (well, eventually).

I'm looking to upgrade the memory to 8GB with this: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modu...9UKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291339944&sr=8-1
    and possibly the hard drive to 1TB with this: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291340180&sr=1-18.

Any feedback/suggestions/warnings about those upgrades?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Very nice, congrats on the apple experience these make me very happy i buy apple products =D, ummm i just installed the seagate momentous XT with much hesitation because i seen a lot of bad reviews but also a lot of good ones and it runs SO much faster then my stock 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD,

4. steiney macrumors 6502

My friend recently got upgraded from a 2007 MBP to a brand new top-of-the-line 15 inch. He kept taking it in to get some video card thing fixed, and it kept having the same problem, so on the third time, they gave him a new one. He's pretty psyched.

Those upgrades sound fine. If you want a little more speed, go with the Scorpio Black. It's 7200 RPM instead of 5400, and it has a larger cache. They're only a little more expensive.

I wish I had 1 TB in my computer. I'm really just too lazy to open up the computer and do all the switching. Also, I wish my 2007 MBP could support more than 3 GB of RAM. Eight would be nice.

Enjoy your new laptop!

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Wow. What was the name of that girl again? ;)

Those look fine. Seriously though, for most documents, unless you're rendering on the mbp, having it on the external won't be all that much slower. Get a 7200RPM drive and then you can get a much larger/cheaper per GB external and access when you need to and don't when you don't. :)

6. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

wow, my younger brother got a free 15" macbook pro a couple years ago, but it was because of some fluke billing mistake...

i hope something like that happens to me when i decide to purchase one in april, lol

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

9. belvdr macrumors 603

So you knew there was water damage but didn't report it as such. Nice guy.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just guessing, based on no prior experience here..... someone in the back dropped your old system and totalled it. At that point they can't give you back your old partially functioning system, so they have to give you a new one. The upgrade in systems tells me they went into the store manager's discretionary slush budget-line, instead needing to work with Corporate guidelines on replacements. If I'm right, then you could have been honest and told them about the water damage, and you would have still gotten a new system.

Karmic balance is off.... you got really lucky, do something nice today. A random act of kindness. It's doesn't have to balance in $$, just that somebody else's life gets better today. Donate some money to to a food-bank. The dollar value of a cash donation can be multiplied, whereas a food donation can't. :)

11. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

So was the YouTube video(s) you watched right after a shower good? Why the rush?

I had the same thought as snberk103, The keyboard was giving you a little trouble while still working but after they were done with it it was "totaled" so they may have messed it up themselves. I don't know how anyone works at the genius bar, lot of people lying when they go there.

12. wct097 macrumors 6502

Yea. That's not just them being nice. The broke your machine in some dramatic way.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

¬.¬

How do you know this guy doesn't volunteer at a soup kitchen every day without the hopes of getting an upgraded macbook pro?

14. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

For the record, they did know for sure that it was water damage. The manager that gave me the original flat-rate deal even told me to put my hair in a towel before I do that (jokingly). And I'm surprised you guys think they dropped it because my girlfriend said the same exact thing. When we asked the nice girl if that happened when I was signing for the new computer, she denied it and said they just can't fix it.

I agree about doing something nice back to someone else. The next time I have the opportunity to make a person's day/week/year, I'm taking it. :)

And thanks for that link for the cheaper memory!

15. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

are you sure it was only one drop of water that caused all your problems? I know water and electronics don't mix, but damn only one drop.. LOL

James