The strange case of my wireless internet and 27" iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iamcharlie, Mar 20, 2010.

1. iamcharlie macrumors newbie

This is a really confusing and frustrating problem. I've looked through the forums and found similar problems, but none that are quite this.. weird. I bought a 27" iMac about two months ago, and recently it's been having trouble connecting to the internet via airport. Sometimes it has no trouble, other times, no matter how many times I put in my WEP password and hit connect, it just gives me the 'connection timeout error'.

Basically, our whole household was having internet troubles about a month ago, but they mysteriously stopped for everyone else except me after a week or two. My housemates all have PC's, and are able to connect fine now. I also have a MacBook as well, which also has no trouble picking up the wireless. One of the weird quirks about this problem is that if my MacBook is connected and moved to sit RIGHT NEXT to my iMac, I can often get the iMac to connect. And if it drops the connection, I can refresh a page on the MacBook and suddenly the internet works again on my iMac. And I also discovered that if I move my iMac to the right about 30cms, it sometimes connects. This suggests that maybe I'm out of range for my wireless, but how am I able to connect at other times when the iMac in it's normal place?

Anyway, I've ruled out a fault with the wireless itself, because, as I mentioned, every other computer can connect fine. I've also tried going into the system prefs and renewing the DHCP lease, which *sometimes* works, but usually doesn't.

It has been connecting fine for about 2 days, but tonight it started acting up again. It's connected now, but it's pretty sporadic and keeps dropping the connection.

Any ideas? In case you need to know, it's one of the new 27" iMacs, the usual duo core not the quad core. 4gb memory, etc. I don't know what brand the wireless is but I could find out, if anyone thinks it will help.

Cheers,
    Charlotte

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Why don't you try moving your wireless router slightly or rearrange the antennas if they are external.

3. iamcharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried moving it around but it didn't seem to have any effect :/