The strangest thing just happen... ¿?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProjectManager101, Jun 25, 2016.

1. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

I was typing a comment in a Youtube video. All of the sudden I was not able to type any more. I was hitting the keys but nothing. They keyboard was irresponsive. I tried to switch application and nothing, track pad nothing.

After 30 seconds in the text field an m started to show mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I pushed th power button and I was able to restart the mac by keeping it pushed. No force quit application worked, nothing. I have a MBP 2015 with 16GB of ram and 10.10.3

Any ideas?

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Things like that sometimes happen. If it doesn't come back, don't worry. Computers these days are very (and I mean "incredibly unbelievably insanely") complex machines.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like a crash of your browser or a slowdown on your internet connection.

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

I believe YouTube analyzes typing in real time. So if their servers are slammed (or your connection is flaky) the code reading your keystrokes is hung waiting for a response from the server. It can take 15-20 seconds or so for the connection to time out. That is probably when the mmmmm showed up then. Those were all the "m"s you typed while cussing at it and saying "what is going on?!!!! I bet if you were able to check the system's activity you would see that the browser was using most of the CPU cycles.

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

something might have crashed and caused the system to freeze up. it happens....

6. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I have noticed something similar to this happening in Safari pretty regularly. I will open a new tab and try to type something into the address bar and nothing happens. Force quitting and reopening Safari always fixes it for me though as I don't have the patience to see if it will fix itself.

There is a just a bug somewhere in Safari or OS X that is causing something to hang with keyboard inputs. Unless you have tried developing a modern application I don't think you can truly appreciate how complex they really are. They will get the bugs ironed out eventually.

The best thing you can do to help out is just report the bug to Apple with as much detail as possible as to what happened to trigger the bug.