The subversion of the media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Oct 6, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There has ben a great deal of discussion here, concerning how the corporate medial outlets caved into pressure from the autocratic right-wing. The following is a link to an article by Leslie Griffith. It deals with Dan Rather's decision to regain his self-respect and come clean to the American people. Finally, the truth is coming forth from those 'in the know'. Would we have been better served by this kind of reporting before invading Iraq? Sure. But, we can use it to keep from repeating the same mistake in Iran.

I remember the pain in Rather's face as he was faced to acknowledge the complete failure of the fourth estate to uphold the principals of professional journalism. It was during an interview for Bill Moyers Journal, Buying The War. I am glad to see him take advantage of a second chance. Many others continue to sell themselves and their reputations.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, I got as much from the links at the top of that article (in yellow type) as I did from the article itself.

Not knowing much about it, I was under the impression that Dan Rather's lawsuit was a somewhat misguided attempt at saving face over his firing. But it appears he's a lot more concerned about using the suit as a forum to "putting on trial" how news organizations work in this country. Or don't.

The guy's got guts. Esssentially he is taking on the whole MSM.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think Dan Rather should spend his retirement looking for the computer with Microsoft Word that was transported back in time to generate that letter. He might find it on the same golf course that OJ looks for the real killer.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There was an article I was reading where the not-so-liberal-as-you'd-think Chris Matthews was talking about how this gov tried to silence stories and keep the media in check. Sadly, a surprisingly numerous amount of times, it worked. Something he said the Clintons never did once. Which is odd considering he once compared Bush to Atticus Finch, regularly disparages Dems, rarely questions GOP talking points, and once said something about the charming musk of Fred Thompson. But there it is.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Here's a different link to the same info I mentioned earlier:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/10/05/matthews-rails-against-ad_n_67307.html