The suffering of Cardinal Mahony

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Cardinal Roger Mahony, emeritus, LA Diocese is having a hard time of it – from his blog:
    In the past several days, I have experienced many examples of being humiliated. In recent days, I have been confronted in various places by very unhappy people. I could understand the depth of their anger and outrage--at me, at the Church, at about injustices that swirl around us.

Thanks to God's special grace, I simply stood there, asking God to bless and forgive them.

So, what is he being attacked for? The usual, I guess:

Told by two families that a visiting priest was suspected of molesting their children in 1988, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles did not immediately notify police. Instead, Cardinal Roger Mahony’s right-hand man alerted the priest – a heads-up that allowed him to flee the country for Mexico.

He remained in the priesthood there for another 21 years, allegedly continuing to molest. He has denied the accusations and remains a fugitive.

Newly released church documents show the behind-the-scenes machinations of top officials within the Los Angeles archdiocese making decisions on how to deal with pedophile priests, hindering police investigations and saying, in private, something completely different than what they said in public.

Mahony, one of the most powerful men in the Catholic Church in America at the time, received constant updates on molesting priests and sometimes gave orders on how to deal with cases, including once telling subordinates to deny a police request for a list of altar boys. In at least one case, minute details like retirement benefits were discussed for an admitted molester.

CNN

This man has been asked by the church to participate in the conclave to select the new pope. Which I suppose is par for the course. He has not actually been convicted of any crime, and it is not entirely clear that there is a law, of the day, that he literally violated.

This man, who seems to think his tribulations are like unto those of jesus, I suspect that to most of us, his words ring a hollow and broken tone,
    Over the coming days of our Lenten journey I hope to explore with all of you some deeper spiritual insights into what it really means to take up our cross daily and to follow Jesus--in rejection, in humiliation, and in personal attack.

I think it is time for Cardinal Mahony to pray for his own forgiveness, to his god and to his parishioners.

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I was raised Catholic and was actually deeply involved in the church in my teens (I didn't know any better at the time but who really does during those years?). My involvement brought me to places and gave me the opportunity to meet people that I would not have otherwise. Of course, with my involvement I also witnessed the dark aspects of the church and the people who run it.

I have had a few encounters with Cardinal Mahony during my time in the church. The first was at my confirmation, then at diocese and parish functions, and finally at a dinner function with him at his residence at the old cathedral. My impression of the man is that he has this veneer of a stiff "holier than thou" but obviously had something to hide, like any other religious official throughout history.

I think that titling the thread "The suffering of Cardinal Mahony" is a little misleading. It makes it sound like the man has suffered when he was the one who has brought suffering to the flock he's supposed to tender. He may not have been directly involved with inflicting pain to anyone but he sure did everything he could to keep this in the dark.

So what if he votes or not for the next pope, the church will continue to have these problems and all their skeletons will one day be revealed.

I'm glad to have had my eyes opened and managed to think my way out of the religion. No need for me to deal with this schism, dilemma of faith, or what ever it's called. And I do feel a little pity for Catholics who don't know any better and are facing an impasse with their ideology and the dirty politics of the religion. To them I say, let go the religion and find your own way with your personal belief. Agnosticism is far simpler than fooling yourself into thinking that an institution run by men and an ancient book have all the answers. When it comes to faith, sometimes the best answer is "I don't know".

3. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Meanwhile, in the UK...

Cardinal O'Brien - the most senior cleric in the UK and one of the most outspoken critics of gay marriage is all over the news again. (Recently he was awarded Bigot of the Year by Stonewall)

Well, he's just had to resign...

Perhaps the entire Catholic Church should quietly withdraw from public life and come back once it's resolved it's own issues?

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The Catholic Church is a perfect example of why people have such strong feelings against organized religion.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The sad part is he was asked to resign for hitting on other priests. Adult men. Yet the priests who molest and rape children are defended and allowed to stay within the church.

Disgusting!!!

6. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

I just want to say thanks for the awesome first-person account. Of course Mahony would act "holier than thou", it is what Jehovallah called on him to do.

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020