The suicidal tendencies of my new MBP (wakes up from sleep while in my backpack).

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Dec 28, 2008.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

So I really fear that one day my backpack is going to start burning or melting, or at least that my Macbook Pro will die from over-heating because it fails to stay asleep when I store it away. I've experienced the same thing 3 times now where I set it to sleep (I make sure the fans come off after I either close the lid or manually select it to sleep), put it in my backpack, and open the pack 30 minutes later at home to find the laptops fans running like crazy, and the whole bottom surface is so hot (having been nicely insulated by the padding of the backpack) that I have to touch it with an oven glove to take it out. The fans then keep running at highest RPM (sounds like about 6000) for about 5-10 minutes, with the screen black. They then throttle down to keep running at rather high RPM (maybe 2000-3000) until I eventually have to force reboot, since the screen stays black and the keys/mousepad are not working even after 20 or so minutes.

My questions are:

1) why does this laptop not have a mechanism to go to auto sleep above a certain temperature, e.g. before it starts to burn material?

2) How do extreme heats affect the computers internals, i.e. should I anticipate that certain components won't last as long now that this has happened three times?

3) Do other users have the same problem and is Apple aware of it?

Thanks for any helpful ideas you may have.

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

if you have a bluetooth device, that could wake your mac up and cause it not to fall back asleep, in the bluetooth settings theres something about that.. if its not the case then maybe go to the apple store and ask why your macbook isn't staying asleep

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd say a defect and you should visit a local Apple Store to have it checked out.

4. himynameisjon macrumors newbie

himynameisjon

ya thats not normal i havent had that problem but if you can get it fixed for free take it to the store, if not, than guess what you have a mac book pro so it should only take 25 seconds to boot up and 10 seconds to boot down ( that is off course considering you have a decent video card and processer, and that you computer isnt bogged down with files, viruses, malware, software, ect)
    in the mean time just shut it down instead of putting it in sleep mode, problem solved

5. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

Turn off Bluetooth if it is on and see whether this happens again. If you use a Bluetooth device, go to the Bluetooth pane in Sys Prefs, click Advanced, and uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer". In the Keyboard and Mouse pane, click the Bluetooth tab and uncheck the same option.

There are no active viruses or malware out there that affect Mac OS X, and by extension could cause anything like this. Some device or app is causing the computer to wake up, not malware.

--mAc

6. himynameisjon macrumors newbie

himynameisjon

true true, i have heard of a couple cases of it always scanning for new bluetooth enabled devices and that would wake it up for shure

7. jdwingnut macrumors regular

I have ALWAYS TURNED MY MBP's and MB's OFFFF whenever taking it out or traveling with it, JUST FOR THIS VERY REASON.

Just my 2 cents here.

My logic is, that it's much easier to restart my Mac, than to have it crash the hard drive or run and overheat because I was being to lazy to turn it off and restart it once I got to where I was going.

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks all. I am using the bluetooth keyboard but don't ever touch it after the computer has gone to sleep. So this is ruled out as a possible reason.

However could it be that other people's bluetooth devices wake up my laptop, such as somebody's headset?

I have to leave the bluetooth waking on because as far as I know there's no other way to use the MBP with an external screen, with the MBP screen off. Is there a way I don't know of?

On a separate note, I still wonder why the computer doesn't shut down if it goes above a certain temperature? What's the point of heating up and trying to blow out the heat if it has no effect?

9. Mercellus macrumors regular

If the computer loses the bluetooth connection to any paired device it tends to wake the computer up.

10. gretafour macrumors regular

An annoying truth that I can attest to from personal experience! The setting for "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" has even changed on its own after an update or two, so make sure it's unchecked after updates.

Also, plugging in a USB device while the computer is closed & sleeping will wake it up without turning on the screen.

Good luck!

11. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It may be faulty or something is broken. Take it to an Apple store would be a wise choice..

12. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, I see. That's a bummer as I don't know how to wake it up from sleep without opening the lid then. It's always puzzled me that OS X doesn't allow to put the laptop's display to sleep in monitor preferences...

13. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I see, so I should have some USB device lying around just to wake it up? No big problem for me, but it does seem like Apple's software developers haven't thought about some very basic features...

14. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Doesn't it wake up when you plug the monitor in? I may be wrong because I avoid plugging in/unplugging my monitor while it's asleep, but I know that it won't go to sleep if I close the lid while the second monitor is plugged in. Very annoying! (I usually use both screens on).

Tangentially, mine used to wake up at 10 am every day (even changed to 11 am when it became daylight savings) or, the few times I shut it down, it would TURN ON at 10 am (woke me up with a bong once!). That led to a few hot bag incidents until I realised what was going on and set it to automatically go to sleep at 10:05 am. If you still haven't solved your problem, maybe you could set it to sleep 5 minutes after you leave the office so that if it wakes up, it goes back to sleep. Just a suggestion.

Also, the black screen and needing to power down part may just be from failing to wake from sleep properly/getting confused because the lid was closed. It happened to me a few times without the heat part.