The Swiftboating Has Begun:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Aug 14, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

2. Queso macrumors G4

I think most of America is wise to this now. At least in two states :)

"There’s an old…saying in Tennessee…I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says Fool me once…Shame on…Shame on you…Fool me…Can’t get fooled again."

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I guess he did quite well with the first one. $$$$$$$

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The only thing missing is the nodding dog head raising inflection when he says 'can't get fooled again'.

Quality moment.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Kind of sucks that the left won't stoop to this level; but it's also reassuring at the same time. In a moral victory kind of way.

There's plenty of material out there for lefties willing to wallow in the mud. John McCain turned his back on MIA/POW groups in the '80s, and many have never forgiven him for it; and would be happy to spread vicious half-truths about his rumored canary-like behavior as a POW.

Plus I've heard that he cheated on his disabled wife with a much younger and prettier woman, which as we've all heard repeatedly over the past week, is a sin capable of knocking your presidential campaign out.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed. Google "McCain pow canary" and you get all sorts of interesting stuff...

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I disagree. It is either Karl Rove, or Kaiser Souzai.

10. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

My issue is how Obama responds to it. He cant just say "that's BS. its not worth my time to respond to it." like john kerry did, because that's how he lost. If he's not going to respond quickly and firmly then he is not qualified to be the nominee and the party needs to look at other options.
    we all know it is totally untrue that Obama is or ever was a Muslim and the guy that wrote the book was totally full of complete plop. however veracity is not the only issue here.

oh puh leaze. what evidence do you have to support that? this is the exact same author that wrote the book on kerry.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm thinking that was a joke. Lighten up, mon ami. ;)

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is a 41 page point-for-point rebuttal good enough for you? :rolleyes:

13. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

Like i said, it's not nearly enough to just release a statement saying or have a spokesman say "That's not true." If that's all Obama has in response, then we need to move on. We need a fighter, a doer and a champion in our corner.
    The worst part about this slime is that this slime is fictitious.
    Daily Kos says its a 41 page "smack down" as they call it, but if all you're doing is telling the truth, I dont see how that's a smack down. Simply setting the record straight is far insufficient.

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Moral victory be damned! I want an actual victory. :mad:

Actually, I want both, but you know...

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Some days I feel the same way.

That this new book is such obvious 'swiftboating' bothers me nearly as much as the fact that people are buying the book. The book's direction uses an interesting rhetorical gambit, if you think Obama might be a decent president you're obviously reacting to the "cult of personality."

Reminds me of the calls that Mac users are part of a 'cult' as well. Corsi's next book should be Apparatchik.

16. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

a moral victory isn't going to bring anybody home from iraq and its not going to fix our economy.

This is how you combat lies:
    ya gotta make a big deal about it
    its not enough to just rebut the lies because the rebuttal is not going to be as high profile as the initial lies. so even though you set the record straight, its still not enough. because the lies are still out there.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hmmm....how did I know that wouldn't meet your standards? :rolleyes:

Give it time, I don't even think the damn book has been released yet. Although frankly, I don't think anything Obama does would please you

18. djellison macrumors 68020

Insufficient for what?

Someone writes a book of lies about you. You have your people write a document that outlines and corrects them all.

That's all you can or should. Going after the guy doing it would just be reducing oneself to his level.

The real question is - why do people buy this crap?
    Doug

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It appears Corsi has been promoting his latest work of fiction on white supremacy radio.

It also appears Corsi is of the opinion that airplanes were not the cause of the collapse of the WTC towers.

Can anyone tell me why we should take this guy seriously?

Regarding Obama's pushback, I've heard that Obama plans to demand surrogate airtime opposite Corsi at every appearance. They plan to highlight Corsi's unconventional views to discredit him. And one major difference this time around is that there are no group of veterans willing to disgrace their service by backing up Corsi's lies.

And of course, this book will become a best seller (if not debut as a best seller) due to large lot purchases by monied conservative interests. And then, like all the other conservative hit job books, will be available for a penny in a few months. That system is easy to game, and conservatives have learned that you can get theliberalmedia talking about this book if it's a "best seller". Such a liberal media...

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A lot of you seem a trifle overconfident about the pubic turning up their noses at this book. But from the link, it appears this assassination piece will reach #1 on the NYT bestseller list. I mean, I know people don't read the way they used to, but that's still a big number.

A lot of them, maybe even most, will be losers who would've voted against Obama anyway. But there's a secondary effect, namely that those lip-movers will spread Corsi's lies via word of mouth, and fence-sitters will hear them, and some, some of them will believe him.

I'm thinking specifically about the kind of voter we talked about in a thread a couple of months back, the kind who said stupid things like, "I'm not sure if I can vote for Obama; his name doesn't sound American."

Obama will have to deal with this by calling Corsi out on it...by addressing him directly, over and over, and asking him why he put out a book of lies, and what his motivation for lying was. He should repeat this over and over and over until the media picks it up and Corsi becomes the one on the defensive.

So for once, miracle of miracles, I find myself in agreement with stevento about this...

...but you hadda go and ruin it, didn't you? :mad:

21. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

See below.

Correct, and the NYTimes wrote about that fact in one of the articles about it. It will also appear on the bestseller list with a dart, which will indicate that its status is due to bulk sales, not the traditional manner.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And due entirely to the right-wing smear machine gaming the system. They know theliberalmedia will use the "best seller" label as a way to allow them to talk about this book without implicating themselves in the smear.
    IOW, a best-selling book doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a best-read book.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ahhhhhh, noooowww I get it.

Ya learn something new every day. Unfortunately.

Still, even if they're gaming the system, even if they're not selling a gazillion books to real people, it sounds from what you said that they will still spread their lies, with the media being willing accomplices. In the end, they still do some damage.

I'm not even sure about Corsi not having people to back him up. If there's one thing I believe about the Republican smear machine, it's that it is endlessly inventive. I await the other shoe dropping, namely some phony person or group who will give Corsi "credibility". Maybe some scumbag who'll claim that he heard Obama and Jeremiah Wright shouting anti-white epithets at a church rally. Maybe something much worse.

The only thing we know for sure is that these people cannot win on their own merits, they can only win by playing on the prejudices and fears of the weakest-minded of us.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I may have said this before, but it bares repeating,

****, bring on November.

Please!!!!!

25. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

It'll top the Times best seller list this Sunday.

you cant just defend yourself in this arena. its like a boxing match. what if a boxer got in the ring and only blocked hits, didn't throw any? you can do a whole lot more than release a document detailing the truth. we've been through this before. john kerry lost because of it.