The system needs fixin'... Father to pay legal fees of protestors at sons funeral..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Mar 31, 2010.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I hate to say this, but if you sue someone and lose you should have to pay.

What the group does is disgusting, but it is free speech.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Right: The groups ability to exercise free speech
    2) Wrong: Their tactless way of doing it
    3) Right: Court vacating the settlement
    4) Right: Plaintiffs paying defendant's legal fees in setting of unsuccessful lawsuit

As 2 wrongs do not make a right, the hate group could do the decent thing to make amends by paying their own legal costs. However, I doubt decency is a characteristic they do not have, or they would have chosen a different venue at which to protest in the first place.

4. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Correct, but it should be fixed because freedom of speech was never intended to be exploited like this. The distance protestors need to be from a cemetary needs to be extended imo..
    How about no protesting during the service?

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It is absolutely disgusting what those "protesters" said and did during that soldier's funeral.

Disgusting.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whether right or wrong this is just sick. I feel badly for the father.

7. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Distance maybe and I say that with a lot of trepidation.

No protesting during the service is just wrong.

Look I get it, I abhor these actions, but what you're talking about is a really slippery slope.

We need to protect crazy peoples rights to spew garbage so that when we have a legitimate concern about something we still have the ability to stand up and say something.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's disgusting but I'm not surprised. All the Phelps family ever does is incite hatred in the name of free speech. It takes advantage of that right in the most despicable way. Really I think what they do borders on harassment and on a superficial level I wish something could be done to stop it/them. Though arguably that is a slippery slope. All anyone can and should really do is ignore their hatemongering. They feel vindicated when people get angry, if you deny them that, they may find it much less satisfying.

9. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

You can donate to help pay for the legal fees but ironically all that money ends up in Phelps pocket...

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is just sickening. Personally, I hope it makes it to the Supreme Court. Bill O'Reilly talked about this last night...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,590202,00.html

11. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

12. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

That is just sad. No one should have to deal with people like that while you are trying to get through the funeral of your son. A father should NEVER outlive his son.

I had a relative that was killed over there and I went to the funeral. Had these people shown up all hell would have broken lose. Free speech be damned; I would have ended up spending the night (plus some extra time more than likely) sitting in a jail cell, but it would have been entirely worth it. A funeral is no place for something like this.

13. pooky macrumors 6502

As much as I can't stand Bill, this is a classy move.

14. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

+1

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

+2

(and some other words to make sure my post doesn't get deleted)

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry, I don't agree. Westboro, while disgusting, has the right to freedom of speech. Bill O'Reilly, as usual, is on the wrong side of the issue, but good for him for paying it.

In the 80's, people tried to shut up gay people because they didn't like us. Just because we don't like something does not give us the right to gag the people saying it.

17. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I dont believe anyone is looking to "gag the people" here, just perhaps some respect while parents bury their children, gay, straight, black, white... whatever.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that anyone is arguing that Westboro doesn't have the right to say the disgusting things that they say. However, they should not be allowed to say them at a funeral.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There is no law that states people cannot protest at a funeral. I doubt such a law would stand if made, either. The court made the right decision.

Sorry, but I disagree. According to US law, they have every right.

Common decency says it's a horrible thing to do, but there is no law regarding common decency.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Don't you have to apply to the local govt. body to stage a protest in the first place?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes. I'm assuming they did. They've been doing this a long time.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This wasn't started as a free speech case, it was a case involving intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Cemetaries are not necessarily public property. Restricting speech is permissible if the time, place and manner of restriction is reasonable, and limiting this type of speech at a funeral would probably survive scrutiny. Unfortunately, no such law exists at this point.

+3 on the Bill O'Reilly paying the bill.

There is no reason that church couldn't say what it wanted to say without causing harm to families of soldiers.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Then I'd be looking strongly at the relationship between the church and local government to see who signed off their protest, because that's a absurdity.

The law on free speech is right in my eyes, as is the right of the father and general public to be disgusted and disenfranchised with the law's seemingly absurd result. There's an idiot in the middle somewhere who let it come to this however. His head should be the one to roll.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Oh god

They should let Bill pay for it, then keep it out of the news. These morons want exposure more than they want their legal bill footed by the poor father. So I think it would be better to not give it to them.

If no one can see the problem, does it really exist?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As far as I know, they cannot be on church property. They were most likely across the street on public property. I know that has been ruled on already. Trust me, these people, as crazy as they are, operate within the law. They aren't stupid regarding that.

We may not like it, but this is part of what living in a free country means. There is no right not to be offended.