The T-Mobile Update make the iPhones support their 3G/4G network now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jackwills, Apr 8, 2013.

1. jackwills macrumors regular

jackwills

I was using the T-Mobile $30 unlimited prepaid plan on my iPhone 5 last month but all I can get was Edge in my area I couldn't stand it so I finally switched
    I know in the reframed area people can get 4G
    All I wanna know is will that update make my iPhone 5 get 3G/4G in the same area (un-reframed area) now? Cause my area is definitely covered by T-Mobile's 3G network.
    Or this update isn't for this..?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It will still require the network to be refarmed to you support the faster speeds. If you didn't have 3G last month, you might want to try it again. Mine was enabled two months ago and worked great on my 4S and 3GS.

3. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

the update doesnt make you connect to anything

it all depends on whats in your area? my area isnt fully reframmed. I get edge at my house but if i go half a mile down the road i pick up 5mb download which is pretty much considered 4G

4. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Simple Answer:

You will get 3G if your area has been refarmed with 1900MHz HSPA+ network ONLY. If you are not in that area/zone you will not get 3G or 4G! You will get EDGE/2G....

T-Mobile released an update today for current iPhone owners, When in the 1900MHz Refarmed HSPA+ Area previously everyone would see "3G" but now will see "4G". It is not giving the iPhone access to any new network/faster speeds just a simple change in the status bar as T-Mobile wanted to play catch up and make everyone feel they are on "4G"....

AT&T has been doing this since launch of iPhone 4S...they had apple replace the "3G" logo with "4G" while the iPhone didnt get access to any faster network....

5. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

The carrier update tweaks some network settings, enabled visual voicemail, etc.

You will need a NEW iPhone that supports 1700 MHz if you want to ensure you can connect to the 3G and 4G/HSPA+ networks.

If your area has already been refarmed to support HSPA+ on 1900 MHz, you don't need a new iPhone. The GSM iPhone already supports 1900 MHz.

:p It's re-farmed. Not framed, frammed, etc.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It also enables LTE (of course you'll need to be in an area with LTE coverage).

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

In order to get reliable HSPA+ (aka faux 4G) you will need to buy the new GSM iPhone 5 that will be released this Friday.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

Haha it's probably autocorrect. When I type it with my iPhone it always changes itself to reframed.

9. cmm macrumors 6502a

How do I know what service my iPhone 3GS (or if I upgrade to the iPhone 5 being released this Friday) can get in my area?

10. jackwills thread starter macrumors regular

jackwills

Check that if your area is refarmed or not

11. cmm macrumors 6502a

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

airportal.de is an unofficial map that users can add locations where refarmed areas have been reported. I've heard (he-said-she-said heard) that at the end of April, T-Mobile will be releasing an official map of refarmed areas.