The Tale of the Slave

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, May 21, 2011.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

An interesting philosophical question, sure to create interesting philosophical discussion: "The Tale of the Slave" from Robert Nozick

I'd be interested in hearing from the group at which point the slave in this story (imagine it is you) who's situation is steadily improving at every step, is no longer a slave.

2. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

From 2 to 3.

1 & 2 talk about a slave, 3..9 is about slaves

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

"Freedom without limits is just a word."

-Terry Pratchett

Everyone is a slave to one degree or another this cannot be changed or abolished. The goal is ensuring as much freedom as possible.

Libertarians thinks that means "getting the governments hands off as much as possible." But to me that means I'll be enslaved to corporate interests, as opposed to government interests, and I actually think the government has less interest in enslaving me than corporations do.

EDIT: And you do realize that this part of this clever story is totally senseless?

This is true of EVERYONE'S vote it only matters if your breaking the tie. Winning by 1 point is no different than winning by 1000 points. As long as one's vote counts in the eventuality of a tie than it matters just as much as everyone else's vote.

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

Let me know when you can live on Earth without being a "slave" or at least subject to someone/something else.

We do not have complete free will in the slightest bit.

Also, these examples are interesting, but really do not do a good job of relating to government's role.

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Well 3-9 is about slaves.

Ultimately if you are owned as property you are a chattel slave. There is a transition from the person being owned to the labour being owned.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Interesting that fivepoint posts something about some people being less slaves than others.

His POV should be quite transparent.

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Is this another one of those "tax is rape" threads?

I don't get it..

8. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Well, some people just don't get the difference between a democracy and an egocracy :rolleyes:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that the one where the eggs are in charge?

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Only if they're fried.