The Target boycott cost more than anyone expected

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 6, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/target-boycott-cost-more-anyone-141019006.html
    contrast with Chik-fil-A

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I still don't get what the fuss is about. I mean what's stopping these sexual predators from going into the women's restroom now? Is there some kind of potty patrol I'm not aware of?

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

or before it was so common you know as in not.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

6. Moyank24, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And I wonder how many of those people "boycotting" are sitting in their houses watching Fox News and Bill O'Reilly right now. Just bathing in hypocrisy.

The whole thing is dumb, and to be fair, Target isn't the only retailer whose sales are down. There are B&M chains shutting down left and right.

It would probably be helpful to look at specific numbers though, especially by region, and divisions - like were electronics down as well? Groceries? Toys?

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Anyone who has a basic understanding of commerce knows sales dip down hard post holidays. Affecting everything from groceries to ebooks to vehicle sales. This is reflected in industry metrics and those who run adsense or other networks on their site report lower income for the first 4-5 months of the year. Even real estate is effectively dead until spring.

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Meh, Americans always need a cause to feel validated.

10. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Angry Christians outnumber Angry LGBTBBQs. In a nutshell.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Meh. I don't think Target can rightly attribute this to the bathroom thing. All retail, especially high square-footage retail, is suffering this year. Online retail has been chipping away at them for a decade now.

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

So you think only Christians can be against men in women's restrooms and vise versa?

EDIT: I can say that I am shocked the Target in the town I live in is still open. Since they became political the parking lot is empty.

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Why do you consider men in women's restrooms and vice versa a problem?

14. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

It would also be interesting to see a breakdown by state or location.

Within 10 miles of me we have 3 targets, and all 3 are busy all the time. But I live in liberal California and we have no issues with the whole bathroom issue.

People are in there to urinate and defecate. Use a stall if you are seriously that worried about others.

15. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Easy. It is labeled "Men", and is therefore a restroom for a male, and the other is labeled "Women", and is therefore a restroom for a female. It even clarifies any confusion by actually putting a label on the door.

16. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

So let me ask since you are so set on staying to what is printed on the door.

If you get diarrhea and the Men's room is closed for cleaning... are you going to defecate yourself or use the Women's room?

17. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Rapist have been entering women's bathrooms for years. Predators don't care if the bathrooms are gender specific or unisex.

In Europe, unisex bathrooms are the norm and they have lower sexual violence rates than we do.

To think that unisex bathrooms is going to attract predators is ridiculous.

Then again these are the same people who voted for a Cheeto messiah.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I will find another men's restroom, or tell the person cleaning it is an emergency. It is not fair (and very selfish) for me to make other uncomfortable...especially if the women's room was occupied.

19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Not necessarily, just a different way of protesting or supporting causes. Whereas the left tends to be more vocal and have protests and rallies (which makes sense because they tend to be younger with more flexible work hours), the right tends to choose to shop more at places that support their ideals and less at places that don't.

A conservative who needed lunch may visit Chick-fil-A simply because of their stand or shop at Kohl's instead of Target. Simply a different way to protest or support a cause. Doesn't mean there are more or less of one than the other.

I know I had planned to take my wife to Lola for her birthday as a surprise. Then about a week before we were in a bookstore and she pointed at Michael Symon's book and mentioned that she would never spend another dime at his restaurants because of his comments about Trump. So I changed the reservation to Red and we had a great meal. I guess she could have gotten a sign and marched a picket line out front, but not the way we do it.

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Does that kind of logic not apply to both sides?

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So if they changed the labels, would that be ok?

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Forget cleaning. What if it is out of order and locked and there is no other restroom around? Do you go in women's restroom or mess yourself?

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Messing yourself may be cleaner than using the women's restroom....just saying.:D

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Ding ding ding, and there is the real reason, not sexual predators but because your uncomfortable around trans people. And that's fine, but just because your uncomfortable doesn't mean you get to discriminate against others. Don't you think a lot of white parents were uncomfortable letting black people into the same stalls with their when segregation ended? Heck, you could even have made the same argument that you made (it's so selfish of those black people to make others uncomfortable by using the same bathroom).

25. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think you read his original post completely wrong. It was not that he was uncomfortable, but instead didn't want to make others uncomfortable. I mean do women really want a fat guy who eats nothing but fast food taking a power dump and stinking up the place so bad no one can enter for 15 minutes. Any women really want to follow him into that stall?

And guys, how many of you would want to walk into a bathroom filed with girl teenagers knowing you need to drop a monster deuce?