The Tea Party doesn't seem to care about the consitution?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You mean to keep and bear arms? :confused: Not sure how that would have been relevant here.

Looks like the group had a permit to use that space as they saw fit, and the cameraman was uninvited. He was asked nicely to shoot video from the sidewalk, and he refused.

Not sure what the law says in a case like this, but if I had secured a permit to use a space for an event, I wouldn't want uninvited people around, either.

I'm also curious why we believe this was a "Tea Party" event?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Article says it was public property. And if they weren't tea partners they sounded like them.

A better question is, if they think their views are so right, why are they trying to hide them from the public?

Those are some seriously weird people.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Because they have rationalized the fact that their beliefs are so unpopular to mean that most media outlets are part of some kind of left-wing conspiracy.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure what the rules are for permits on public property in Phoenix, but I believe they are allowed to limit who can access the area during the event.

It was hosted by the Greater Phoenix Tea Party Patriots as part of the "We are America Tour" which seeks to stop the comprehensive immigration reform bill since they believe the bill is amnesty—hence their website remember1986.com.

And, I think the women speaking in the video is Gabriela Saucedo Mercer, who lost in her bid to unseat Ariz. Rep. Grijalva during the 2012 elections. Her campaign was heavily financed by local tea party activists in southern Ariz.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A kind of Streisand effect here. Had the tea party patriots just ignored Gilman, at best he'd have a cut-down video showing the event, but because they decided to get hostile, now he gets to be offended and has a better story than the tea party's nativist hostility to immigration reform.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Guilty conscience and fear of embarrassment at it's finest. Why are they so afraid to have anyone but their own video tape? For people who suppose to have no shame of their beliefs, they sure are guarded.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As Woody Allen put it, "crypto-fascists airhead zombies." While I love a good fusillade at the Tea Party or its various apparatchiks, your critique misses some important realities that the tea party addresses. The tea party is the result of frustrated people who were mugged by the 2007 economic collapse and who have created a blameful hybrid of populism, conservatism, and nativism.

Calling the party a pantry of names doesn't acknowledge the reality that the initial tea party's frustrations were nearly in lockstep with the later Occupy movement, nor does it acknowledge how the movement ended up hijacked by the same neo-cons who had mugged them in the first place.

That should be a warning for anyone.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Closed as a formality because the original poster can no longer participate. If others would like to see the conversation continue, please report this post and the mods can open it up again. Thanks.

EDIT: And I had to remove most of the comments. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.