The Telecoms Secret Lobbying Campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Sep 23, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Here is the prime example of the government covering up their crimes, with the help of the telecoms, and the government providing the telecoms full protection for doing their dirty work. It is also a great example of what happens when former elected/appointed officials go to work as lobbyists.

Lobbying, as practiced nowadays, is at the very foundation of what is wrong with government.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Such a law passed would certainly invite its own lawsuits. Of course, someone could try pressing the issue all the way up to the Supreme Court, but...well, you know.... :mad:

I don't wanna start the fascism argument all over again, but what do you want to call it when the government and corporations have the deck so stacked against the people that they can stifle their rights with such willful abandon?

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

That is what I was attempting to get across to another member recently. It was not sinking in.

The administration enlists private corporations to help break the law.

The corporations agree and send their former government employees (now lobbyists) to solicit laws to protect the corporations.

The administration has appointed federal judges, and Supreme Court justices based on their willingness to support their political positions.

The corporations provide political contributions to the Congress, assuring their cooperation.

The corporations apply pressure on the national media (advertising revenue) to ignore, or downplay their coverage.

Game, Set, Match. Everyone has an alibi, a place to point a finger, or the ability to deny. Afterall, who is going to squeal? We citizens MUST break through this friggin' cycle of deception. That means accountability. Right now, we are primarily focused on stopping this insane war, and preventing an even greater catastrophe; Iran. But after that, we cannot believe the battle has been won. We must clean-up the political process which allows these things to happen. And, we have not even began to address the issues with the environment.

There are enough environmental crimes, jointly shared by this administration and corporate America, to keep a special prosecutor busy for a lifetime. These losers need to be brought to justice. But, I am moving off-topic.

4. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

The thing that is going to truly be the death of this nation and most of the world is not the war in Iraq, domestic spying, the religious right, or the fading o our civil liberties. The biggest threat to this nation is what we are doing to our environment! We are killing and polluting the very place we live in.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Too true, I am afraid. Or, it will be if we survive the aftermath of our failed foreign policies. The people who brought us the war are the same one who have rolled back 40 years of environmental progress.

I first became 'aware' after reading The Greening Of America. That was in 1971. Regrettably, it took me until 1982 to begin working on environmental issues. I am a whitewater rafter, and my love for rivers encouraged me to protect them. I later became involved with many other environmental issues. My wife has even exceeded my environmental contributions.

One day, perhaps, I will post on how to make a difference for the environment. However, anyone can discover this for themselves. We had been making solid progress for many years. The Bush administration has virtually destroyed 40 years of hard-earned progress. I would like to ....
    He and all of his earth-rapists appointees belong in prison. I hope the new Democratic congress will start bring the former cabinet heads forth for trial. They have much to answer for.