The Ten Commandments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kastenbrust, May 4, 2009.

1. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Certain extremist Christian sects, especially ones such as the Catholic sect have always made me wonder, surely hanging pictures of Jesus, making models of him and hanging them on crosses, etc etc are blasphemy in the eyes of God.
    Let me explain:

The Ten Commandments:

1. You shall not make for yourself an idol

(Widely interpreted as, dont make idols of false Gods, or God himself.)

Now Since Jesus IS God

"I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

Surely making idols of him goes against the main, and the first of the Ten Commandments?!?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

blasphemy would be saying they are cannibals always talking about consuming the body of their savior on weekends.

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think this debate has been done to death already throughout history. See the iconoclast debate.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hypocrisy in religion? No way! Who would've ever thought there could be such a thing?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As long as there is wine (Klingon blood wine is acceptable) then I'm there.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I usually bring my own glass, I prefer Manichevitz

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, it says so. Why do people make idols is up to each one. We are given a guide book, we choose to follow it or not.

No, its not hypocrisy, rather than willful negligence.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

An idol is something you worship. If you 'make' something your idol, be it physical (money, property) or status (position, fame) you make something greater than God in your own eyes. Having something in a higher place in your heart/mind than God is the warning of the first commandment.

Something I found on the web.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00AlMa

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

aka Hypocrisy

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, Lord protect us from well-meaning fools.

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm glad all of you feel qualified to participate in a theological debate without any understanding (or at least you haven't shown any) of the theological issue in question. But that's right, you don't have to debate intelligently on this forum so long as the subject is religion bashing. I guess I forgot. :rolleyes:

These intellectually lazy, insulting posts would not be tolerated on any other subject (as long as we're talking about hypocrisy).

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

tocuhe?:p

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

the OP should have posted the entire text. I think it sheds more light on the subject.

I'm not catholic, so I'm unaware of what transpires between the statue and the person

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not aiming at you, but, somehow, some catholics how bash out other religions, yet, omit to mention they fail following this rule.

Again, no offense intended.

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

thats exactly why i dont have a crusifix statue thingy. I dont worship it, i worship god. all that is to me is just an artist's interpretation of the crucifixion.

16. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Again, you don't even bother to understand the theology behind Catholic thought, but feel comfortable criticizing them. To a Catholic, Catholics definitely obey this "rule."

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

I seriously can't believe people waste their lives with garbage like this. Who the hell cares? :rolleyes:

If God was real, he'd be pissed at you for doing so little good for your fellow humans. Get out there and live life, be happy, help others, love everyone.

18. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

And yet that is the true essence of Christianity.;)

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Right, because debating this and doing lots of good for your fellow humans are mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

Come off it.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, the wrong wine and failing to season the body can really ruin a meal. :eek:

21. kastenbrust thread starter macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i was actually looking for a serious theological answer, because the Catholic church always seems to enforce its policies rigidly on the exact word of the Bible, all the way down to banning the use of condoms etc, but lets not open that can of worms, so why would they then go against this and allow idols of God and Jesus in their own Churches when even their version of the Bible clearly states as the first commandment this is wrong.

Valid point, but the commandment imply's not to make any idols, whether you worship them or not isn't important.

Well you obviously care since your reading the "Politics, Religion, Social Issues" Forum. Hypocrite

22. emt1 macrumors 65816

Yup you're right. God is pissed and they will get a really bad room in heaven, that is, if they even get there. He will probably send them to spend an eternity in hell for worshiping the wrong way. I mean, he made it really, really clear, didn't he? No?

23. kastenbrust thread starter macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It doesn't matter what will happen to them, what matters is that Christianity preaches one thing and does another, conisistently, which erodes peoples confidence in it.

Theres so many children on this forum!

24. emt1 macrumors 65816

The reason there is a lack of confidence in Christianity is because none of it is based on a shred evidence.

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Or you can go the simple Bill Hicks route NSFW link