The Ten Most Influential Internet Moments of the Decade

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

LINK

Interesting list. I'd say I can't really argue with any of them.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Interesting. I can't think of anything at the moment that they omitted.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Myspace becomes nearly non-existent ... oh wait ...

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Susan Boyle!?! Hello...:D

5. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

^ That's actually a pretty good example of how the internet could produce instant celebrity due to things like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. That wasn't possible in the 90's.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

^^Us folks in the US never even saw her on TV, she truly became a global sensation over the internet. It's amazing...

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you kidding me? That ****ing song was played over and over and over and over and over and over on every news or entertainment news program for weeks. I dare say, she probably got more American media coverage than English.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wonder what Shawn Fanning is up to these days?

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

They played it on TV well after she became a hit on the internet. Going to look for source now...

EDIT: Wikipedia info

She was all over the internet before US TV even knew who she was. Sure, TV later absolutely added to the frenzy, but she was an internet sensation globally after just that one moment on TV.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I think they pretty much got it right.

11. maestrocasa macrumors regular

How about this:

April 28, 2003 iTunes Music Store launches. Now the number one music vendor in the U.S. and by far the largest provider of (legal) digital downloads in the world.

Kinda changed the internet and music forever, wouldn't ya say?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Absolutely. You could easily argue it should be #1 on the list.

13. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Agreed the iTunes debut deserves a place on the list. However, I think Napster paved the way for online music sales by showing truly what the possibilities were for the internet being a vehicle for the distribution of music.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Susan Boyle wasn't the only one propelled to instant stardom thanks to YouTube. Anyone know of Justin Bieber? (If you don't, ask your preteen daughter...!) He's got CDs in music stores everywhere and recently sang live for President Obama. All because he had a modest channel on YouTube featuring him singing a few songs...

I'm not much into teeny-bop music, but I do appreciate acapella, and another band which is recently becoming more popular in the mainstream is Straight No Chaser -- again, nobody knew who they were until their YouTube video went viral.

Meanwhile, people all over the world sign up with YouTube's "partner" program, giving them a share of ad revenue from their video channel exposure. People are making literally thousands of dollars a month just for posting videos. The only one I can think of off-hand is that annoying "Fred" channel (which also got that guy into TV show guest spots and commercial deals), but I know there are plenty more.

Any prolific news event, blooper, outtake, whatever -- it's instantly on YouTube for all the world to see. Balloon Boy, Kanye, Star Wars Kid, Numa Numa, David after Dentist, the clips from "fail blog"... it happens somewhere, and the world knows about it right away. It's crazy how connected we are now!

It's incredible how much the internet landscape is changing. I was blown away to read in the article that YouTube only became popular in 2006. I could swear it was around a lot longer.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, can't believe that I missed that as well.:eek:

16. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

Wait wait wait....

What about Bing being launched on June 3, 2009?

Oh boy, here it comes.......

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What about "Don't tase me bro!"

The involvement of the public in reporting the news is not a single 'moment', I suppose, but surely there was a particular incident where the power of the general public to instantly report the news, with video, was first made light of on a grand scale?

18. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

im pretty sure sean kingston got famous off of youtube also.

19. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I was just introduced to Straight No Chaser over the Christmas holiday when my in-laws shared their song and video for the 12 days of Christmas. Very funny and clever.

20. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this:

Internet forum poster exposes CBS News story on President Bush as a fake(2004)
    Just before midnight Eastern time on September 8, 2004, a poster named "Buckhead" made a post on the Free Republic conservative discussion web site questioning authenticity the documents showing supposed questionable performance by President Bush when he was with the Texas Air National Guard, especially in the type of fonts the documents used. The result set off two days of very careful forensic investigation showing all kinds of major problems with the authenticity of the documents, and the final straw was when a poster on a conservative weblog overlaid a new version of the document done in the Windows version of Microsoft Word and showed it was a perfect match against the original shown by CBS News, demonstratingng it really was a forgery. The fallout from this debacle has lasted even to this day.