The Texas Board of Education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by awmazz, May 22, 2010.

1. awmazz macrumors 65816

I don't know why I should care, but I do. I just can't stand seeing racist buttholes getting their evil and insidious way over good and decent folk anywhere in the world, especially to poison the minds of children. I just watched a TV news report about the Texas board's changes to the education curriculum (yes, it's one of those 'can you believe Nigerians still burn witches' whackjob stories that makes the TV news reports around the world) regarding their changing the name of the slave trade to the more benign Atlantic Triangular Trade or somesuch nonsense and giving Jefferson Davis's words equal weight in elementary school history books as Abe Lincoln's. As well as giving weight to post-Reagan conservtism without any counter-balance.

Avid 'conservatives' voting to demote the conservative Republican Party's founder and figurehead to be equal to the anti-USA enemy he conquered? Who'd a thunk it? Why raise post-Reagan era 'conservatism' at the same time?

Basically this confirms further my already well-confirmed belief that the far-right 'conservative' and 'Christian' movement in the USA is simply a bogus front and fake deceitful facade for neo-Confederism.

These people are Confederates and should be always referred to as such. Nothing more, nothing less, despite all the misleading self-nomencature they keep disguising their true selves under. But every now and then they reveal themselves to the whole world (on my TV set on the other side of the planet) to be exactly what they are - Confederates. Trying to rebuild and restablish the Confederate States of America.

All these years it's seemed that the key word in the derogatory 'New York Liberals' was 'liberal', where in fact it is actually 'New York' to mean 'northern' to represent non-Confederate southern ideology. Because it's never been about liberal versus conservative, it's always been southern versus northern ideology. Sarah Palin's popularity shows 'south' is no longer geographical, but an ideology now spread far and wide appealing to those who hate the United States of America and what it stands for. What it has always stood for. What they fought againt it for all that time ago and havng been fighting against ever since. Their Republican Party figurehead and founder is not and never will be Lincoln, it's Reagan.

'Conservatism' doesn't mean fiscal responsibility like it used to before Reagan brought all the Confederates swarming to the GOP after the wilderness years af being abandoned by the Democratic Party when Johnson signed the Civil Right act ("I didn't leave the Democratic Party, it left me"). It means pre-1861. They care not for the Republican Party 'conservatism' and never have. They want the pre-conservatism before the Republican Party.

The 'heartland' of America, 'mainstream' America, 'real' Americans, a 'Christian' nation, and all the rest of their dozens of codenames that people like Palin drop all the time in speeches to applauding cheers from the crowds... all mean just one thing - Confederate.

Next year is the 150th anniversary of the start of the US Civil War. You do indeed need to re-write your history books soon - 2015 will mark the 150th anniversary of the day the Confederates were not defeated.

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, this sounds like the plot for a bad straight to DVD movie.:rolleyes:

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing like allowing your own anti-intellectualism to make the kids of your state less able to compete outside of your state...

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There ain't too much in the United States more ironic than the Texas Board of Education. I mean, the willfully ignorant making decisions that affect innocent intellects.

What's next, child molesters on the board?

Or is that, in a way, the same thing?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Very few jobs will revolve around the studies that conservatives are currently trying to influence (mainly history). If they were trying to take over algebra I could see your point.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're right, there's nothing on the SAT or CBEST or anything that references history. And people don't have to take those kinds of tests if they don't want to.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its been a while since I took the ACT/SAT but from what I remember there was a math, critical reading, and a writing section. Have they changed this? I can't imagine the headache of trying to include a history section on the SAT with everyone already accusing the tests of being "white washed" or set up for whites to succeed.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I believe there is a "subject test" in History as an accessory to the SAT that some colleges use. There are also history classes one must take in college. If you're getting Bs or Cs instead of As or Bs due to your lack of grounding in history, then you are less competitive with your peers, and less likely to go on to greater heights.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The purpose of history courses in college is to teach history, so if you are getting Bs and Cs its probably because you aren't following the curriculum.

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The subject test is given to high school students who take AP History in order to skip the entry level college history classes. Texan students are now put at a disadvantage in taking those tests.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In the grand scheme of things there will be few changes to these texts that would put anyone at a disadvantage, texas is merely pushing the texts in a more conservative way and playing up the "victories" of the right so to say.

This is really about creating voters later on, nothing more, nothing less.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The purpose of college history courses is to build on your previous history knowledge. If your previous knowledge is lacking, you will have a harder time than your peers. And if you have to spend more time catching up on your history, you have less time to spend on other subjects, or you're working less and taking on more debt to compensate.

TANSTAAFL, right?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, I see you've gotten an advanced copy of one of these books?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I never took any upper level history courses, but in the ones that I did they never quizzed outside of the curriculum. I could have thought that the US was plopped down by aliens before class and would have scored fine. This isn't quite like going to a calculus class without a knowledge of basic arithmetic.

If your guys arguments were that they were trying to lean kids into conservatism I might agree, because thats what appears to be happening. I don't buy that they will be put at a major disadvantage because they learned about Reagan instead of some other Democratic hero president. (I don't like Reagan just for the record).

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Could have fooled me.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol I like how you go to make definitive statements about these courses only sentences after talking about having no experience with them.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Insulting me doesn't make your argument any better.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you were following, you would know that we were talking about someone entering college and being at a disadvantage. Freshmen usually don't start out taking 400 level history courses. In fact most upper levels have weird things called prerequisites.

So as you see, I left the possiblity of things being different in upper level courses and made no definitive statements about them, I was talking about entry level courses (gen eds) that people who aren't history majors take.

Because seriously if you graduate in history I am not sure what disadvantages you are going to find in the job market (if you can find a job).

20. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

I've lost all hope for Texas. I'm ashamed to be living in a state that celebrates racism, homophobia, sexism and slavery and is bent on forcing it on young kids. Oklahoma and the rest of the Bible Belt look like Stalinists compared to my so-called "home."

I don't understand how they can get away with this.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Despite your attempted moving of the goalposts, all I was doing was pointing out your admittance of never taking this kind of class, then insistence that you not only can compare it to other classes, but can also decide someone's chances of doing well in said class if they have gone through Texas's new unused curriculum.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A deliberately biased historical grounding is an impediment to success.

This particular biased grounding also an impediment to voting Democratic, which is obviously the intent.

I notice you haven't been back to the immigration thread to post your link about how California gives licenses to illegal immigrants. Funny that...

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wasn't talking about upper level courses when I made those statements (which is why I said "I haven't taken any upper level history courses" before I began), the large majority of kids don't major in history and only take the courses that I had to, so I made my statements on those courses.

Your state is the one harboring illegals, go ask one of them how they got their DL. I gave you the loophole, its not that hard.

24. pdham macrumors member

History is about more than passing courses in college. A solid grounding in history is key to being able to think critically about current day events. As much as we would like to think each situation (political, social, financial, etc.) we find ourselves in is unique to our time and culture, its not. By having an accurate understanding of the events that shaped our past, we can more honestly appraise our current personal, societal and political interactions.

The failing of this county's education system is a big deal, regardless the subject.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Well it has been failing long before Texas decided to "red" their history books.