The The New iPad AT&T LTE In Manhattan - OMFG

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boltjames, Mar 19, 2012.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

WOW.

The LTE coverage in the city is fantastic, fastest mobile speeds I've ever seen. Best part is that on my daily train commute there are 4 deadspots that have gone from, well, "dead", to LTE. It's insane how good this is.

Had Apple doubled the weight, halved the resolution, and doubled the price I'd have still bought one; the LTE speeds are ridiculous, completely changes the experience.

BJ

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Congratulations...now you can hit your data cap sooner.

3. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

The Unlimited Data Plan is my friend.

And even if it weren't, my usage habits wouldn't change because of the speed. I'd still read the same amount of news articles each day. It's just less frustrating as there's no wait for the pages to load.

BJ

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

You did not have to wait for new iPad to enjoy LTE. You could have had LTE-enabled Android device for one year now.

5. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

AT&T or Verizon?

And I'm still trying to figure out how to get my unlimited Verizon Data from my iPhone to my Verizon iPad. ARgh!

6. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

AT&T. Can't speak to Verizon since dumping them for AT&T when I purchased the iPhone 3G.

BJ

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

WTF? You claim to be the 1%? Riding a train for commoners? Fraud.

8. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

You can't, unless I'm missing something here. VZW iPhones don't have SIM cards.

9. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Android devices lack all the good apps and content that I've grown accustomed to from Apple, and I've got a very well organized media collection with 20,000+ songs and 500+ movies all nicely living in iTunes, couldn't imagine having to start all my playlists over again, get everything into another ecosystem.

BJ

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

And enjoyed using the phone for half the day because the battery died

11. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

I've got a 35 minute train from Bergen County to Hoboken, PATH takes me right into Manhattan 8 minutes later. The caliber of commuter on my line, servicing a Top 20 Wealthiest County In America member is more akin to a country club than a public beach.

Though we could afford car services, taking the very-civilized NJ Transit to/from lower Manhattan is the way to go. Stop/go traffic in the back of a Lexus is nauseating and unnecessarily expensive.

BJ

12. ripper998 macrumors regular

wait till the iphone 5 with LTE comes out later this year, you will see your LTE speeds drop as more and more people come online. Same way it was with 3G.

13. dell who? macrumors member

I LOVE how someone gave this a thumbs up. Are people still not accepting that iOS is different from Android? It's like talking about a new G37 in an Infiniti forum and then someone says "You could have bought a Corvette and been driving fast a year ago." That's not the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you lilo for being the ever (un)necessary voice of the devil's advocate in a Mac forum where people are talking about iPads. We all needed our daily reminder that other companies make other products that try, and fail, to replicate the experience of Apple products. Thank you. So much.

14. lilo777 macrumors 603

If you are willing to haul an iPad, you might as well carry extra battery (or two) for your phone. There is no magic in iPad battery life - it's just extra weight.

----------

While the OS is different, all the actual uses are the same - same songs, same movies, same Internet, Facebook, Twitter and games. And with LTE, Android devices clearly had a huge edge compared to iDevices (prior to iPad 3) at least for OP (not everybody has this type of commute).

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Or just use a Droid RAZR Maxx. 3300mAh battery, people are consistently getting 30+ hours of moderate/heavy 4G LTE use out of the phone between charges.

16. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

Might be, but for now I'm flabbergasted. I'm no math major, but that's 20x faster on the downloads, 100x faster on the uploads between Manhattan LTE and 3G.

BJ

17. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I'm excited to move out to Jersey City for this very reason. Jc is covered by AT&T's LTE network. I have lte in Boston, but speeds only get to about 16 Mbps.

Would be nice to hit 30.

18. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

The areas near the Meadowlands, Secaucus station, and Hoboken station went from complete dead spot misery to LTE madness overnight.

It's the biggest surprise yet for my The New iPad.

BJ

19. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

This only applies if you're into doing a lot of HD streaming off wifi. I'm stoked to have websites load faster than my wifi at home, out in public. One thing I disliked about the iPad 2 was 3g was so slow and left a lot to be desired.

20. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Where are you commuting from? I'm moving out to Paulus Hook in May to start work in Manhattan (once I pass the bar).

21. xfs macrumors member

iPad 3 with LTE has the highest battery on LTE for any device out there.

22. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Woot another subway rat! It's the only way to get around Manhattan. AT&T LTE is pretty decent despite the naysayers. Are you getting dead spots in manhattan or dead spots on Path? On a good day, sometimes I get signal in certain stations in Manhattan.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

sure, but it still wouldn't have been an iPad.

24. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Really, it depends on where in Manhattan you are.

I'm by Wall Street, pretty close to South Street Seaport (maybe two blocks away). I'm also on the 12th Floor of my building, so reception is kinda shaky.

I'm getting about 10 Mbps down, 7 Mbps up on Verizon LTE. Might test it again when I head downstairs for some coffee.

25. lilo777 macrumors 603

That's not correct. Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (which BTW is half the weight of iPad) both have battery time around 10 hours. And Motorola Razr MAXX gets more than 8 hours of web browsing (on LTE) in real life which is probably close to iPad (but that's a phone not a tablet)

----------

You missed my point. iPad got LTE just last week. Android devices have had it for a year now. So it could not have been an iPad back then even if you wanted to.