The thing about iPhone batteries nobody knows

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audix, Aug 3, 2012.

1. audix, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

audix macrumors regular

This is very important. The #1 thing that nobody knows about the iPhone is that you can actually turn it off while charging.

Neither Apple, nor tech blog websites have noticed this, but from the moment that you buy your iPhone, the battery has been running ever since that day.

Your iPhone has not been turned off for a year.

That is why people are experiencing battery problems. If you turn off your iPhone at night and leave the iPhone plugged in, that battery would last slightly longer when you go to use it.

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

People's phones are not having problems because they don't turn them off while they're charging. If that was the case then everyone who doesn't turn it off while charging (which is probably more than 99% of us) would be having problems, and that's not the case. If Apple wanted you to turn it off for a while each day, that would be in the instructions.

How much battery power do you think you're gaining by turning it off while you sleep? And did you measure to know for sure? Proof that it adds to battery life? Sorry, but I just don't believe it.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm pretty sure that once the phone charges to 100% the battery goes offline and the phone just runs off the power cord.

I don't have a source for that, does anyone else? That's what I've always heard. If so, it negates the OP's post.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I think I saw somewhere that the phone charges to 100%, drops slightly, then charges back to 100% over and over throughout the night or something.

5. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

That's not the reason people have battery problems. I have zero battery problems, and my iPhone has never been powered down (except when I need to reboot). Also, the difference would be negligible, if at all, in your day-to-day.

Also, are you serious? The "1 thing nobody knows" is that the iphone can be turned off? Where's the down-vote button when you need it?

6. Fresh1 macrumors regular

Apple has surely not noticed this, because it probably isn't true.

7. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

So what happened to the vote down button, I noticed they took it away. Wonder why.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

A poster complained and started a poll over at the feedback section arguing he couldnt spot a pattern on how people voted negative and even though most didnt want it removed the mods bent to his whining.

9. audix, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

audix thread starter macrumors regular

Well what's the up button for? I accidentally keep hitting it when I edit my post. Too lazy to undo it.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Thanks for bursting my bubble... I thought my iPhone was powered by "Magic"

I had no idea there was a battery inside :D

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's a phone. For a lot of people (like me) their only phone. They don't WANT to turn it off.

12. kokhean macrumors regular

Yes, you can turn it off then charge it, but it won't make the battery last longer. It will only charge it faster, I believe.

13. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

14. audix thread starter macrumors regular

A lot of people say they don't have battery problems. But a lot of people have different usage stats.

15. chambone, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Everybody knows you can turn it off while charging. What do you think you're doing when you charge a completely dead iPhone?

And it makes no difference if you leave it on or off at night while charging. It'll be at 100% when you wake up and it will last exactly as long.

16. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but after you've plugged the charger into a dead iPhone, it turns on.

17. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Unlike any other phone I have ever owned, I assume iPhones don't have a power bypass, and run off the battery at all times. I think this is why you can't use a completely dead iPhone for the first ten minutes, despite a power cord being connected.

But I can't back that up either.

18. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Did you know that most cell phones are never truly turned off, unless the battery is pulled? I have had phones that started themselves up just to sound an alarm that was set.

19. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Adding onto that. An iPhone never goes completely dead. Even when it's dead, it still flashes empty battery. The battery is always in use.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, but that's true for many phones. A li-ion battery doesn't allow itself to become completely depleted because that would render it unusable. So there's always some power left.

21. nizmoz macrumors 65816

To a point. It can still go completely dead.

22. audix thread starter macrumors regular

I've never seen that happen. Has anyone else...?

I didn't think so.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

because people use their phones differently they will have different stats. its quite simple.

right i've seen this happen. takes a while but a Li-ion battery can be completely drained.

24. audix thread starter macrumors regular

not on a iphone you didn't

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i sure did. my old iPhone(s) all completely shut down and drained the battery. nothing would happen until plugged in. admittedly it took a long time to drain but it does happen.