The thing about iPhone batteries nobody knows

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
This is very important. The #1 thing that nobody knows about the iPhone is that you can actually turn it off while charging.

Neither Apple, nor tech blog websites have noticed this, but from the moment that you buy your iPhone, the battery has been running ever since that day.

Your iPhone has not been turned off for a year.

That is why people are experiencing battery problems. If you turn off your iPhone at night and leave the iPhone plugged in, that battery would last slightly longer when you go to use it.

Last edited:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
People's phones are not having problems because they don't turn them off while they're charging. If that was the case then everyone who doesn't turn it off while charging (which is probably more than 99% of us) would be having problems, and that's not the case. If Apple wanted you to turn it off for a while each day, that would be in the instructions.

How much battery power do you think you're gaining by turning it off while you sleep? And did you measure to know for sure? Proof that it adds to battery life? Sorry, but I just don't believe it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm pretty sure that once the phone charges to 100% the battery goes offline and the phone just runs off the power cord.

I don't have a source for that, does anyone else? That's what I've always heard. If so, it negates the OP's post.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty sure that once the phone charges to 100% the battery goes offline and the phone just runs off the power cord.

I don't have a source for that, does anyone else? That's what I've always heard. If so, it negates the OP's post.
I think I saw somewhere that the phone charges to 100%, drops slightly, then charges back to 100% over and over throughout the night or something.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That's not the reason people have battery problems. I have zero battery problems, and my iPhone has never been powered down (except when I need to reboot). Also, the difference would be negligible, if at all, in your day-to-day.

Also, are you serious? The "1 thing nobody knows" is that the iphone can be turned off? Where's the down-vote button when you need it?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
That's not the reason people have battery problems. I have zero battery problems, and my iPhone has never been powered down (except when I need to reboot). Also, the difference would be negligible, if at all, in your day-to-day.

Also, are you serious? The "1 thing nobody knows" is that the iphone can be turned off? Where's the down-vote button when you need it?
So what happened to the vote down button, I noticed they took it away. Wonder why.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Well what's the up button for? I accidentally keep hitting it when I edit my post. Too lazy to undo it.

Last edited:

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
Yes, you can turn it off then charge it, but it won't make the battery last longer. It will only charge it faster, I believe.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
A lot of people say they don't have battery problems. But a lot of people have different usage stats.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
This is very important. The #1 thing that nobody knows about the iPhone is that you can actually turn it off while charging.
Everybody knows you can turn it off while charging. What do you think you're doing when you charge a completely dead iPhone?

And it makes no difference if you leave it on or off at night while charging. It'll be at 100% when you wake up and it will last exactly as long.

Last edited:

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Everybody knows you can turn it off while charging. What do you think you're doing when you charge a completely dead iPhone?

And it makes no difference if you leave it on or of at night while charging. It'll be at 100% when you wake up and it will last exacly as long.
Yes, but after you've plugged the charger into a dead iPhone, it turns on.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

Unlike any other phone I have ever owned, I assume iPhones don't have a power bypass, and run off the battery at all times. I think this is why you can't use a completely dead iPhone for the first ten minutes, despite a power cord being connected.

But I can't back that up either.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Yes, but after you've plugged the charger into a dead iPhone, it turns on.
Did you know that most cell phones are never truly turned off, unless the battery is pulled? I have had phones that started themselves up just to sound an alarm that was set.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Unlike any other phone I have ever owned, I assume iPhones don't have a power bypass, and run off the battery at all times. I think this is why you can't use a completely dead iPhone for the first ten minutes, despite a power cord being connected.

But I can't back that up either.
Adding onto that. An iPhone never goes completely dead. Even when it's dead, it still flashes empty battery. The battery is always in use.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Adding onto that. An iPhone never goes completely dead. Even when it's dead, it still flashes empty battery. The battery is always in use.
Yes, but that's true for many phones. A li-ion battery doesn't allow itself to become completely depleted because that would render it unusable. So there's always some power left.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Yes, but that's true for many phones. A li-ion battery doesn't allow itself to become completely depleted because that would render it unusable. So there's always some power left.
To a point. It can still go completely dead.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I've never seen that happen. Has anyone else...?

I didn't think so.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
A lot of people say they don't have battery problems. But a lot of people have different usage stats.
because people use their phones differently they will have different stats. its quite simple.

To a point. It can still go completely dead.
right i've seen this happen. takes a while but a Li-ion battery can be completely drained.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not on a iphone you didn't
i sure did. my old iPhone(s) all completely shut down and drained the battery. nothing would happen until plugged in. admittedly it took a long time to drain but it does happen.