"The Top 10 Broken Promises Of The Obama Presidency"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 21, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

https://www.gop.com/the-top-10-broken-promises-of-the-obama-presidency/

If nothing else, they use "liberal" politifact and factcheck.org for some of their claims, so if nothing else if the GOP don't like those sites due to bias... but that's too easy.

Anyone care to dispute their list? I already see one obvious point to dispute but I'm more interested in others' takes on the article's content and claims.

The article also is wrong in using its crystal ball to predict the future as well.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Are you kidding? There's a reason he lost the house and senate. He wasn't listening.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Not at all. Convince me that Congress, or rather the right, made the effort

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I've updated my post. He made zero effort to reach across the aisle. It's why he was made a lame duck.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

You haven't convinced me that the right made any effort. In fact, we know they deliberately shut things down.

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Obama never once tried to work with the right, instead he wasted time demonizing them. He got what he deserved. He only plays well in the sandbox with people who agree with him.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I remember one of the campaign promises he made that I really liked was full digitization of the Federal budget with online access so that we could follow where every single dollar was spent. This might be lumped under "transparency" in that list.

The lobbyist promise was broken so fast my head was spinning. There were lobbyists hired almost immediately. Another big disappoint and I don't believe there was no way to find a single competent person that wasn't a lobbyist.

Republicans have famously been obstructive in Congress. However, Obama has also been at odds with Congress even within his own party. For example trying to close down GITMO. Also when he exceeded the 60-day limit for undeclared war without Congressional authorization (in Libya, one of the many new countries we now bomb under this Nobel Peace Prize winner's administration).

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I disagree

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Disagree all you want. The man doesn't listen. When people don't listen in government, things get shut down.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

3 and 9 are the only one's I agree with. The rest of the list is a crock.

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The only way someone can disagree with Obama is ... RACISM!

Liberals - can I get an AMEN!!!?

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

A lot of what's on that list is on that list because the GOP planted its feet in the ground.

Take Gitmo for instance: The Republicans have so far resisted any and all of the administration's proposals regarding ways to close Guantanamo and also periodically cast aspersions on transfer of some detainees to countries that have accepted them. GOP candidates including Cruz and Trump also both campaigned to keep it open in future as well. I don't know what people expect President Obama to do by himself about this. It's clear the GOP wants it left open since they promised lawsuits should the President try to close it by executive order... so did Obama "fail on his promise to close GITMO" or have the Republicans tried to ensure he'd fail on his promise to close GITMO? You decide, although we must all accept that fact that historians will review our decisions later...

Our government is not a monarchy or dictatorship (although oligarchy is not a bad label at present). The Republican Party in its fragmentation was not helpful in the legislative climate. It takes two branches of American government to tango, and the third as recourse to the Constitution when the law seems to require interpretation.

Look at the list again and ask if we have asked our government to help resolve those issues or if we have asked our government to do everything in its power to drag feet on resolving those issues. If you're happy about the way that list looks (leaving aside whether some of the items are crocks anyway) then you might be in the latter group.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Seems like the only item on this list that is solely up to the President (and not Congress) is the first one about transparency, which I entirely agree with as being his biggest disappointment.

On the rest, who's really to blame? The guy with the 52%+ approval rating or the Congress with theirs at 15%?

16. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

A good leader doesn't wait for people to make an effort. They find a way to bring people together through diplomacy, compromise, and effective, principled leadership.

That's not to say the republicans weren't being a bunch of jerks, but that doesn't excuse President Obama.

Also full disclosure I voted for him twice.

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Runs out of excuses, drops racism bomb.

18. PaulRustad007 macrumors 6502

PaulRustad007

In my opinion, Obama is incapable of working with people that oppose him. His skills at bringing people together is completely lacking. He is better designed for separation, divisiveness and demonizing the opposing party. His skills at speaking only lend to the further split in American politics and that is be design. I think his ultimate goal is to accomplish a one party system where the President can act like a dictator at times to get things done. And so far, his agenda is coming together quite nicely. He had racially divided the nation, he has undermined police support and he had made being a victim the premiere event for anyone that is offended by anything. He has made the environment in Washington so toxic that people are actually looking at Hillary or at Trump to solve the issues. He has had almost 8 years to get some things done and the best that he has done is wake up the People to the corruption in Washington. Everything else I will put down as below average, trending a D.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

They rejected him the day he was elected and even said so on the news.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

And yet you want trump the worst listener of them all.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL need to take off some of the infotainment filters.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In the article, were the Republicans blamed at all for their obstructionist actions for 8 years? Oh look, it's GOP propaganda. Did they end the article with... And you can thank us? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

23. Limey77 macrumors regular

I don't think I've read anything further from the truth in a very long time. Even people who don't agree with him on anything aren't this dissociated from reality.

This is precisely what the republicans plan of repeating lies until they're believed is aimed - people like you, who clearly swallow their bs without even considering its veracity.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Actually that is really 1 of 2 that are on him. To him bipartisanship means the Republicans need to agree with me 100% which isn't going to happen. He was all take and no give.

The other one on him was about keeping your plan. The other promises he didn't have full control of.