the total idiocy of Best Buy and a free upgrade (long)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Queen of Spades, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

This is kind of a long story, but so full of dumbassery I thought it worth sharing.

My friend K purchased one of those terrible Best Buy Black Tie plans when she bought her aluminum MacBook a year and a half ago. They sold her on the ease of getting her computer repaired or replaced should anything happen to it. They made it seem like they'd kiss her feet and repair her machine while serving her mimosas and hot towels. She bit on the $400 (!) plan and took her computer home. Unfortunately, I wasn't around to dissuade her from being ripped off. She bought the MacBook on clearance for $899, so her total was somewhere around $1300.

Fast forward to about a month ago. K's brother accidentally dropped her MacBook and dented it pretty badly to the point where it wouldn't close properly. Remembering she had the BBBTP plan, she brought her MacBook in. This is where the shenanigans began. First they told her they'd have to diagnose it and would call her with her options and an update, and that it could take up to two weeks. Of course that is ridiculous, but she had no choice but to go home and wait. Almost a MONTH passes before she finally calls them (so you can see she was being quite patient). They look up her case in the system, and see that she was granted a replacement more than a week earlier, but no one ever called her. The BB employee glossed over their lapse by being all excited that she would get a new computer.

She was a little upset by this point, mostly because she was forced to use a laptop belonging to Joan of Arc in the interim, and asked me to go with her so she wouldn't get screwed.

We arrived at Best Buy and went to the Geek Squad counter. The guy looked up her case and gave her a receipt with the information for her "junk out" on it, and explained that the computer guys would help her pick out a comparable SKU. We gave the receipt to two computer guys and told them what happened. They conferred for a moment and tell K she can get the white MacBook and that she'd be responsible for the extra cost. Precisely why these plans are a total rip. She didn't want the white/plastic MB, she wanted the 13" aluminum like she had, so we asked what our options were - if we could either get our money back, or perhaps get a pricematch from Microcenter on the 13" MBP and pay the difference. She was totally fine with putting in extra money, just not for the plastic one. I should also say at this point, we were both completely pleasant, just asking questions, etc.

One of the salesman talked to us like we were morons, telling us she could only get the white MB, she'd have to pay, and that we didn't understand "comparable SKU." He told us the pricematch "wasn't going to happen," and flat out told us he wouldn't do it. In short, he was a total jerk. Finally after we firmly explained that his refusal to pricematch made zero sense, and also didn't fit with BB's policies, he told his colleague that he could "handle the situation." He was clearly one of those salespeople hell bent on saying no, and he had a nasty attitude before we even said a word. Really fun, and great service.

The other guy was understanding, and after explaining to him that it seemed lame that she would be forced to pay extra just to get a computer again (one she didn't want), when they always promote the stupid plan as fixing or replacing your computer within the cost of the plan. He agreed to pricematch Microcenter on the 13" MBP, K agreed to pay the difference, and we proceeded with the transaction. Simple enough.

I went to check out video games while K paid, and as we're walking out, I notice the MBP box in the bag has a "open-box item" sticker on it. Yup. They charged us the price of a brand new, price-matched 13" MBP and gave us a returned, open-box item. We went back to the counter and showed the Geek Squad guy what happened. He makes a call and finds out that the original computer guy sold us an open-box version because that's all they had in the store. They were out of stock of new 13" base MBPs. Okay, but why would you neglect to tell us that fact when we're paying the price for a new one? Isn't that something anyone would like to be aware of before purchasing? Argh.

I admit I was fuming by this point, but I just wanted to get my friend her computer and get the hell out of there. We agreed to do a purchase and pick-up at another Best Buy a couple of miles away. They promised us we could just hand the In-Store pick up counter the paper, and we'd be out and on our way.

So we got in the car, jokingly wondered how Best Buy stays in business, and hit the other BB. Handed them the paper, and sure enough, they hand us a brand new 13" MBP. Finally, for god's sake!

We take the computer home, K sets it up, I help her do a Time Machine restore, and all seems well. Then I check the specs out of habit on "about this mac" and find out she got the 2.66Ghz/320GB version, not the base model. Wow, morons! So I tell her she got a free upgrade, and we're happy - until we realize we have no receipt at all for this computer. All the documentation, none of which has serial numbers (wha?), lists the 2.4/250GB/4GB model. Naturally, when registering, Apple wouldn't let us pick that day's date as the date of purchase. It said we could send in documentation proving the date of purchase - which now we didn't have. Ugh.

I told K we'd make an appointment and see if Apple could help us sort it out without forcing us to erase everything on the new computer and go back for a swap out and proper receipt. As I was about to make the appointment a little while ago, I noticed her computer is now showing it's registered at the warranty began November 10, 2010.

The downside: she loses 2 months of warranty for no reason at all except Best Buy stupidity. The upside: she gets a free upgrade, and we don't have to go back in there and deal with those morons ever again.

You know what they asked us at the first BB store after realizing they'd sold us an open-box unit without telling us? "Would you like to purchase the Black Tie plan again?"

Unbelievable. And if you got to the end of this, I applaud you. ;)

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

*takes applause for reading the entire thing*

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Buy from Amazon or Apple directly. Best Buy is the Kmart of electronics. I've seen more professional employees at my local Chik-Fil-A.

4. T34418leONE macrumors member

Those guys sound about as smart as most "Genius" Bar employees!

I think the Trade off was worth it haha

5. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

:cool: A huge round to you, sir.

Well I know that, and 90% of the users of this forum probably do - but unfortunately we all have friends or relatives that sometimes slip through the cracks.

Even I couldn't have guessed at how incompetent they actually are.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow that honestly blows....my MacBook pro was purchased from best buy and I almost got that $395 protection plan...now I feel less upset by not getting it. For the record the guy I delt with was very pleasant and he knew his ****. He was a manager though so I guess that's different.

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

I have generally passed on these warrantees, but I did purchase one once back when HDTV receivers were new and exciting. It was only $40 on a $500 box though. I can't imagine paying $400 on a $900 purchase. That's simply nuts.

Mine did pay off though, at Circuit City. The tuner died and they just gave me a CC gift card for the original purchase price plus tax. They even refunded the prorated balance of unused extra warranty.

8. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I bought my MBP from Best Buy last week just because I put the remainder on my BB card. Yes, most are idiots. They don't know their stuff and are clearly just kids there for a job.

They offered me the Black Tie Plan which I refused (and then the guy got offended when I said "No" like I'm going to use the new computer as a frisbee or something). I said "No" to all the bells and whistles, just wanted the computer and to get out.

But stores like Best Buy clearly sacrifice quality for quantity and in cases like this it shows.

Good for your friend, though, getting at least a much better MBP than her original aluminum MacBook. Losing the two months sucks, but I think she came out ahead on the whole deal.

And kudos for your patience, I'd have been calling them every day after a week asking about my computer. No way in hell I could wait a month for my first check in.

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Wow. This is typical of Best Buy. Unprofessional, ignorant, and just incompetent. The worst service ever. I am not surprised one bit by this story. They always try to sell you on the service plan, even when you know they just want your money. And, to sell an open-box machine and charge you the full price? An open-box (or returned machine) could have lost as much as $200 - $250 in value by the time it leaves the store and is opened. That is just downright unacceptable. Still, I am not surprised in one bit by all this.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

*gratefully accepts the applause*

I used to work in Computer retail back at the end of the last century and all those tricks are old skool!

The best advice is to be firm, patient and not to get fobbed off by faceless salesdrones. Sounds like it worked a treat for your friend.

11. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yeah, that works out nicely. The only way I can see these warranties working out is if you constantly drink cokes over your laptop, or your computer dies in the 4th year - even then, the headache of dealing with them and what they deem to be a comparable model is not worth it to me. It was a month of waiting and then hours of nonsense with rude, dumb employees. I'd rather save that $400 toward my next computer.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Agreed. If my machine dies, I always try to fix it myself or just buy a new one. I installed a new power supply in my PowerMac 9500 when I was 13 old. Yes, I was 13, and the power supply just died one day. Had to special order it and take it completely apart. But I got it installed and that machine lasted me 4 more years.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

BB employees are forced to push those protection plans on you (most employees of stores that sell them are in the same boat) and can get in trouble if they fail to sell x amount of protection plans in a given month.

I got my MBP from BB (price matched from Micro Center) and had no problem. In and out in about 5 minutes.

On the protection plans, there are several people that take full advantage of their plans. They take it in for repairs with the slightest problem and then break it right before the protection plan runs out so they can get a new machine for little to no cost.

14. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Best Buy sounds a lot like the UK PCWorld!!

I hate buying anything from PCworld because of service like this.

On top of that i have overheard sales assistants trying to sell apple products to customers by downright LYING about what something can do....

Recently buying the new apple tv i overheard the assistant telling the customer infront that apple tv in the uk had ALL of the on demand services built in, quoting BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITVplayer, etc as built in services as well as iTunes rentals and purchases!!! I was about to step in an tell the customer that they were VERY misinformed or were lying to get a sale when he decided against buying one anyway....!

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If BB are like my previous employer they'll make very little profit on the hardware. The extra warranties and optional extra £50 HDMI cables etc are where the profit is hence why the salesdrones are pushed into offering them (forcefully) to all the customers.

We had one customer who brought a PC in that had "accidentally" fallen down the stairs 2 days before his 3 year extended warranty ran out. Must have been a big flight of stairs - it was shaped like a banana.

I believe I may have heard of them ;)

16. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Right, I can't abide by that type of shady behavior, which is why I went with my friend. She's not techie at all, and if you start spewing out useless data and lies, she wouldn't be able to differentiate. Once BB employees forced my mother into buying a $150 surge protector when she bought her computer. They told her if she didn't buy it, her warranty would be void. I was in Sydney at the time, and when I got home, I returned it and tore them a new one. The $50 gift card they gave us was not nearly enough.

17. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

AAAhhhh I miss the 9500 and 9600s... still rocking my 8100/100 for really old stuff though :D

18. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The 9500 had 6 PCI slots and could take 1.5GB of RAM, and this was 1995 we are talking about here. Pretty damn ahead for its time. 604 processor.

It had 8 RAM slots. Yes, like current 12-core Mac Pros.

19. Kyffin macrumors 6502

*more applause over here please*

Didn't expect to make it to the end- but you told it well, bravo!

20. ender land macrumors 6502a

Heh.

I wish people would stop giving me like $10 gift cards for Best Buy...

Though to be fair, I totally abuse Best Buy's as a place to go look at speakers/computers with no intent to ever purchase one of them. So I guess it works out in the long run? ;)

$10 does get you a new pair of earbuds though ^^

21. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Lol I was planning on getting a 13" mbp after the update. Guess I'll be going straight to apple.

22. HBOC macrumors 68020

I don't know if anyone remembers when BB advertised the "service" they provide; in that they will set up either an XBOX 360 or PS3 for $149, all they did was connect it to your network (this was before the 360 had built in wireless, mind you). Anyways, Gizmodo ran a story with a headline that read something like "Way shady". I went to Giz's website and opened up that story and left every Mac they had, with that on its' screen! HAHA, love the look of the workers' when they saw that.

Anyways, they are a rip-off, and until people wizen up and learn to buy online, they will be there.

23. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I'm so glad I'm getting applecare and not the balcktie crap

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Applecare > Best Buy

Though Fry's is no better. I heard they get fired over there if they don't sell overpriced HDMI cables and warranties.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't trust warranties as much if they don't come through the manufacturer.
    Just curious, but
    1) Was BB suppose to cover accidents under their warranty?
    2) How much was the "upgrade" for the MBP?

Yeah, Bestbuy is good for getting a new computer under their terms, but I'm not sure if they would be subpar with Apple repair quality.

My mom got warranty for her Netbook through SquareTrade. Who knows how the hell that will work if its needed.
    I heard ST is pretty good though.