The Touchpad On the New MacBook Pro, A Step Closer To Gaming On a Laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

We all know that a touchpad isn't the best way to play games, but I think that the touchpad on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros might bring us closer to gaming on a laptop without an external mouse. Competitive multiplayer matches would still be best with an external mouse, but it would be kind of cool to be able to play games on the coach without any problem.

One of the problems of using a touchpad with first-person shooter games is that they're too small to be able to play accurately. You aren't able to turn quick enough and shots are a lot less precise. The touchpad on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros is much bigger than on other laptops. It has also been annoying to use the touchpad buttons for shooting because you have to keep your finger on the button of the touchpad while aiming with your other finger. Since the whole touchpad is a button, you can quickly press down on it and aim your shots a lot better. Apple has also used glass to make the touchpad as precise as possible, which will definitely help.

If developers or modders can start to get multitouch in games, there's a lot of potential for using gestures to throw grenades, reload, etc. I've played with a MacBook for a while and it seems like it could work really well for gaming. I've also noticed on YouTube and other sites that people have been using the touchpad when they post videos on and it looks really smooth to play with. With the old MBP I've only seen one video of someone using the touchpad and it looked really bad to use for gaming, like most, if not all, other touchpads.

What do you guys think? Could the touchpad on the new MacBook and MacBook Pro be a step forward for playing games with a touchpad?

2. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

You haven't actually used the new touchpad or have you?

To me, this is a step backwards in the gaming on a laptop, but a step forward in ease of use. imo

3. Empyre macrumors member

Touchpad for gaming will almost always equal fail....Mouse is the only way to navigate the game the way you want to without hassling your hands beyond belief! Although I will say that if games supported a little bit of the multi touch abilities, it could be at least a bit more desirable but overall, trackpads for gaming will probably never live up to gamers standards...i know it doesnt live up to mine

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Decent games are barely available for Mac OS X, and you think this new touchpad that only a handful of overall Mac users have will change games that much? Doubtful. Take a look at the craptastic PC world and you'll see where game developers will be going. I can also tell you that most uber-gamer nerds (those who put a freon tank in their extremely huge case) will not be using a laptop.

I like your enthusiasm, but if you're looking for games with that much control intelligence, you need to get a Wii. Developers are still a little stupid with some of their games (NCAA Football 09!!!!!!), but that's where the most controller-based invention is going on. When you see PC laptops gain the Mac-style trackpad, then maybe what you're saying will happen.

By the way, does your *coach* mind you playing games on top of him?

5. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i don't think the two have anything to do with each other. Gaming on pc/mac will always require a mouse keyboard combo, thats why its better than the consoles (for fps games at least).

6. damlog89 macrumors newbie

definitely a good game to get would be Command and Conquer 3. Won't let you down if you like the series.