"The Tragedy Is That More Of Them Didn’t Die"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by APlotdevice, Jun 16, 2016.

1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Full Story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-them-didnt-die/?wpisrc=nl_most-draw6&wpmm=1

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

One POS religious guy doesn't bother me. The fact that people will still go to his church does.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You know what's worse? Scores of people sat there and listened.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's really unbelievable that people can be so hateful in the wake of a tragedy. Especially a "preacher". I put his title in quotes because someone like that is a hate monger, and not a legitimate man of the cloth to me.

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Anyone who sat there and listened and didn't speak up or at least walk out is no better than the terrorists.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Exactly. I really wonder who the people are who go to these churches. And if these people can make rational decisions in their lives.

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Sounds like reactionary liberals.

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You mean like Anderson Cooper getting in people's faces because they were sympathetic to the victims but said sympathy was invalid because they weren't pro-LGBT in the past? As if it was their fault a bisexual Muslim Democrat killed so many people?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2016 ---
    Absolutely! So all those "moderate" Muslims who sit in mosques while radical imams preach hate are no better than terrorists. Thanks for clearing that up.

And thus Obama sitting while reverend Wright spewed hate is a terrorist too? Who knew?

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Based on what exactly?

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

You are correct. If they are going to a mosque where a radical imam preaches hate, they are indeed no better. But, surely you're smart enough to realize that this is the exception, rather than the norm. Just like this preacher idiot.

Can you link to some of Wright's hate speech? I'd love to read some if it.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Riiiight.....because holding people accountable for their past views and questioning their sincerity now in light of those past efforts is somehow "hateful" and somehow comparable to wishing even more people had died. :rolleyes:

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes hate and wanting people to die is perfectly acceptable to conservatives. good one maxsix

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

At least 300 mosques:

Some mosques in the United States transmit extremist ideas.[4] The North American Islamic Trust (NAIT), a group with ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, "holds titles of approximately 300 properties [mosques and Islamic schools]".[21] The organization's website states: "NAIT does not administer these institutions or interfere in their daily management, but is available to support and advise them regarding their operation in conformity with the Shari'ah."[21] Other research on the Muslim Brotherhood in the United States claims NAIT influences a far larger number of Islamic institutions in the U.S.[3][5][22]​

And another three:

In an interview with Fox News published Tuesday, Imam Talal Eid said increasing radicalism at the Islamic Center of New England, where he served from 1982 through 2005, pitted him against the center’s board of directors in the late 1990s. Eid had been in charge of religious teaching at the center’s mosques, but was ultimately forced out by Dr. Abdul-badi Abousamra, once a respected endocrinologist and president of the 1,500-member center. Abousamra now resides in Doha, Qatar, and is on the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s terror watch list.

“At times, I was fearful for my safety,” said Eid, a former member of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom who now leads a Toledo, Ohio, mosque. “When I would stand up for what I believed in, and there was a clash, you see how I could be scared.” The three mosques associated with the Islamic Center of New England have all had connections to several known and suspected terrorists, including Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev–the brothers responsible for the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing–and Usaama Rahim, the 26-year-old man slain by officers earlier this year after brandishing a knife in a parking lot and allegedly plotting to behead police.​

You can find those quotes easily enough. Surely Obama's comment on the reverend he threw under the bus should be adequate:

Obama attempted to further distance himself from Wright, as he expressed outrage and shock at a press conference on April 29:

I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday... The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, ​
    I vigorously disagree with your political viewpoints, but I certainly would feel bad if you were killed because of them. How can you be so judgmental of people after claiming just yesterday that that's not the kind of person you are?

Color me extremely disappointed in you.

15. APlotdevice thread starter macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Uh yeah, that was included in the original post. And frankly it's hilarious how conservatives don't seem to give a damn when Muslims similarly condemn the extremists in their religion.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I said I don't stereotype people. That doesn't mean the bad ones aren't pointed out. And Anderson was merely doing his job and asking Pam Bondi questions, not calling for her death because of her political viewpoints, so I don't know how you can possibly even link a hateful "preacher" wishing death on people, with someone just asking questions of a politician in some weird form of false equivalency. He was doing his job as a reporter, especially since local gays were coming up to him and mentioning the discrepancy between her words and actions. Was he just supposed to ignore that...and them?

You want to talk disappointment? I'm extremely disappointed in you and your efforts to capitalize and politicize things in yet another partisan attempt to bash Obama, bash the media, and bash anyone who doesn't agree with you politically.

17. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I believe Anderson Cooper is also gay himself.

18. DUCKofD3ATH, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I quoted it because it was in your original post. Its significance appeared to have been overlooked by you.

I'm afraid your usual moral equivalence won't stand up to scrutiny:
    • According to the just-released survey of Muslims, a majority (51%) agreed that “Muslims in America should have the choice of being governed according to shariah.”
    • More than half (51%) of U.S. Muslims polled also believe either that they should have the choice of American or shariah courts, or that they should have their own tribunals to apply shariah.
    • Only 39% of those polled said that Muslims in the U.S. should be subject to American courts.
    • Even more troubling, is the fact that nearly a quarter of the Muslims polled believed that, “It is legitimate to use violence to punish those who give offense to Islam by, for example, portraying the prophet Mohammed.”
    It's not "extreme" when most of Muslims believe extreme things: it's normal. So where are the "moderate Muslims" in all this? Go ahead, show me polls saying significant numbers of American Christians think it's OK to violently punish people who give offense to Chritianity.
    He treated Bondi as if her sympathy wasn't genuine. He took advantage of the terrorist attack to pursue a hateful agenda of his own. And you don't think there's anything wrong with that. You and Cooper don't like Bondi, so you refused to accept her good wishes.

Doesn't work. You claimed yesterday that you don't stereotype or generalize in your opinions about people. And yet here you are piling on Bondi, who most likely felt bad that so many innocent people had been killed by a terrorist.

You don't know her, but you sure as heck generalized about her without sufficient info.
    He is. Does that excuse his treating Bondi's sympathy like it was so much manure on his shoes?

19. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I was just pointing out the fact.... I wasn't defending or excusing anyone.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Incorrect. I think her good wishes are great, however I do question the sincerity since she has a past which conflicts with her new found friendliness to the gay community. She also lied right to Anderson's face when she claimed her website had some sort of pro gay images when in fact it did not. So you are rushing to defend a liar here.

I'm not stereotyping. Do you even understand the meaning of the word? We are talking about one person, not an entire group.

Perhaps you have insufficient info, and are new to even knowing about this woman, but I am not. Neither are the local gay people of Orlando who know her record well. Your assumption that you know more than all these people is noted, but off base.

And the irony here is that you don't know Anderson Cooper but you sure are quick to tell us all that he hated her. :rolleyes: A wee bit hypocritical of you.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It shouldn't matter whether Bondi supports the LGBT agenda when it comes to accepting her sympathies. What Cooper did was despicable.

No. You don't know the definition of "lie":

lie: an intentionally false statement​

You have no way of knowing if she made a mistake or was making intentionally false statements, do you?

Again, you're the one who misunderstands what "stereotype" means:

stereotype: a person or thing that conforms to a stereotypical image: don't treat anyone as a stereotype.​

You were happy to side with Cooper because your prejudices and his were the same.

And there you go again, asserting that her sympathies weren't genuine because she didn't support the LGBT agenda. And yet what did you just say?:

I think her good wishes are great
    Such flip flopping is causing me to question your sincerity.

I can only go by what I saw: He tore into Bondi because she was being sympathetic toward the victims of terrorism when she hadn't supported their cause before they were gunned down. Instead of blaming a terrorist he attacked Bondi because he disagreed with her position. Stereotyping doesn't exist for such unprecedentedly unprofessional behavior. As such, what possible reason could explain what he did except hatred?
    Would you mind explaining what you think is significant about Cooper being gay?

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I would never sit through something like that. I'd leave and never return.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The man is a fraud who has corrupted the message of Jesus.

24. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Can anybody fill me in on why it always seems to be the baptist churches that have extremist views, horrible people and sermons full of hate?