The Tragedy of Development

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

or as I would call it, the Tragedy of Loudoun County. I once fantasized about living there, if I could afford it. Now I get sad when I come back to visit (family in Centreville) and no longer worry about not having the income to get a place in the country, at least in this area.

When this:
    [​IMG]

turned into this:
    [​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

Northern Virginia as a whole represents paradise lost. Once beautiful vistas and horse farms being turned into sub-divisions, strip malls, and millions of people. I'm sure this lament can be heard across the country. :( I wish we operated more like Europe, making it harder to pave paradise and turn it into a parking lot.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We had a summer place when I was a kid in Mahopac, NY, about 65 miles north of NYC. It was like being in another world only a little more than an hour away from the city.

Had the chance to pass through a year ago and I was horrified. Now a crowded commuter town that looks like every other town.

SO yeah, it happens everywhere.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Pork-legislation. It's all about that bacon.

4. Huntn, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

For years the county had developmental restrictions that limited sprawl. I'm not an expert on the issue, but my impression is that builders/developers frequently get themselves elected to city/county legislation boards pushing their agenda along with many people who believes development equates to success, money to be made and jobs to had, revenue generated where before there was minimal if any. The environment, even if it is not pristine, is a agricultural gem to be consumed.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The point of pork-legislation is for a Senator to look like they are doing "good" things like creating new highways, state parks, roads, etc., in order to hold their position and not lose an election to a challenger.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I settled in a quiet, isolated and beautiful corner of northwest California.

I never want to return to the "real" world again.

Except for maybe an occasional, short visit.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Pray the bulldozers are not just over the next hill... Granted you are probably more isolated than Centreville is to D.C., but years ago people retired here to be out in the country. The joke was on them.

8. Squadleader macrumors regular

I suppose thats what Thomas Wolfe wrote of, in. "You Can't Go Home Again." The memories you will always have !!

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Some people can, kinda. I have a friend who grew up in a village in western England. It's basically unchanged since she was a kid... Actually the town where my Mom grew up (Hambleton, West Va is unchanged or if anything is less populated than it was in the late 19th, early 20th century. Of course, it is economically depressed which is one of the reasons young people are fleeing the area.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It's not worth taking the time to explain it to you...

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What an intelligent answer.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Because I can travel from Appleton to Arlington to Albuquerque to Arcata and hardly feel like I am in a different town from the last (even if I start into the Bs). To me, that feels like an undesirable thing.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That at least is a reason. But people just saying development is bad doesn't make sense to me. New homes, new businesses, new schools, new chance for more people to have nice lives? Yeah, what a tragedy!

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's unsustainable.

New chances for people to have nice lives? How long will that last? When we run out of space, what do we do?

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It's lasted pretty long so far. Civilization keeps progressing and we haven't out of space so far. Population growth is slowing down and will level off soon enough. What's the alernative? Keep people in the same cities we have just so a few can live on acres and acres of land?

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You make it sound as though cities are undesirable? What's needed is smart, sustainable growth. There are too many highways to nowhere being built at a time when driving is flat and more people are choosing to live in a city. Which is totally understandable given smaller family sizes and fewer people choosing to get married and or have children. Governors like those in Wisconsin are ignoring demographics and the wishes of many taxpayers when they choose suburban highways instead of improving urban environments.

Not long ago, I read an article (forgot where) that said in another ten years we are going to face another real estate bubble. As the boomers begin to be unable to remain in their homes, they'll move into cities or at least multi-family housing in the 'burbs. Of course, they'll need to sell their homes but given the horrible income inequality in this country, few will be able to afford the suburban and exurban mcmansions even IF they wanted to move into them in the first place.

The smart people are buying in livable cities now. The less smart are buying 5 acre tracts of virgin countryside...

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Completely agree with so much of this. These huge homes people are building...they are tearing down starter homes left and right for McMansions. Not everyone will be able to sell them in thirty years when they retire and their kids move out. Smart cities, with buildings that have farms in them, that's the future.

19. Squadleader macrumors regular

I kinda think ya'll missed Huntn's point...The thread wasn't us vs them...It was more like goin home is never the same after ya left....

as far as room goes....You can take every family world wide, give em an acre and they wouldn't fill the state of Texas...( I dunno, I read that some place...:)

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ok so things change. Again: why is that a tragedy?

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, intelligent in light of my OP where I explained my feelings on the subject.

22. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'll bite. Because once you go from:
    [​IMG]

to:

[​IMG]

... there's no way to go back. The reason why one is better than the other, that, I cannot explain (and if I could, given your mindset, judging by your previous comments, you probably wouldn't acknowledge it anyway)

23. Huntn, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Now there is an intelligent answer. :) Thirty years ago National Geographic compared Chicago (200+ square miles at the time)) to Paris (20 square miles), both with the same populations. Basically we sprawl because we can, but a economy based on never ending growth is doomed to failure, besides, compact cities based on high rises or mufti-leval buildings is more efficient on an infrastructure level than sprawl. 'Sustainable' or 'mature' are the key words.

----------

A beautiful pastoral setting. Now put ten lanes through, shopping center, and enough people to fill it up to the brim... real beauty. ;)

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My math suggests a little over a thousand square feet per person, or about a quarter million per square mile. And some of that acreage is not very horizontal. To get an acre, a family would have to have 43 members. And, in Texas? Some parts of Texas are very bleak.

----------

For a person who spends most of the day on a PSII, natural beauty is not particularly important :rolleyes:

25. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

But that is not even the same road, right? They both look like current pics.

Michael