The Trend to Legalize Everything

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

California recently passed a law baring sex workers under the age of 18 (no minimum) from being arrested or harassed by law enforcement.

In our race to legalize everything, are we turning into a third world country ?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We're turning into a 3rd world country because we haven't rebuilt major infrastructure at all since the 80's.

Trying to turn the tide on the hyper-criminalization and incarceration of the populace has nothing to do with that.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I don't think by legalising everything, USA would turn into a third world country. Technology superiority and strong economy are still there.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How many minors are in the sex business due to circumstance 100% of their making? I would venture to say that minors engaged in that business need help and guidance on getting out of that type of situation and not criminal records.

5. DearthnVader, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It is still illegal for a person, of age, to have sex with a minor, so I don't really see the problem of not charging the minor with a sex crime, when it is the adult that should have taught them better and/or know better.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, we do have a few too many laws on the books and there are plenty of things like weed that have NO business being illegal. Its just stupid to spend money and effort presecuting such *crimes*. Its a plant. My goodness, relax.

OTOH - minors and sexual stuff gets a little more touchy..... ya know?

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they need help to get off the streets. throwing them in jail where the pimp will just bail them out will not help them.

8. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

You obviously have never been to a third world country.

Legalize something like prostitution or pot is progression. It can cut down on the amount people incarcerated and sitting in prison.

Only in third world countries is everything outlawed.

Children under 18 should seek counseling and not in jail. They're not selling themselves because its fun many of them are abused.

Many are even trafficked.

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

We’ll be a third world country when religious superstitions are morally or legally running everything, pretty much the polar opposite of what you are talking about.

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

In what third world country is everything legal?

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Read what he posted again.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think its more realistic to say that under-age sex-workers are more likely to be victims (through trafficking, abuse, exploitation, abandonment) than perpetrators of crime.

I don't see prosecuting and jailing a 16 year old prostitute as being helpful to the individual concerned. Such a person needs counselling, medical care, and a social worker far more than a court date and a jailer.

Tha California authorities are not talking about legalizing prostitution. They are attempting to protect prostitution's most vulnerable victims from a life of crime and despair.

13. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree with you that they are victims but I think they are now much less likely to get the help they need.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nice to see you back. I had begun to worry that you'd abandoned these parts ... for good reason.

Anyway.

The law is intended to protect the minor, not to legalize prostitution with a minor. If a minor is unable to consent to sex, then it's reasoned that a minor is unable to consent to being a prostitute. The law doesn't legalize anything. If anything it decriminalizes the minor's acts as a prostitute with the intention of having him/her returned to their parents or social services in order to attempt to find his/her way out of the trade.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    The law is specifically intended to allow them to seek help rather than serve time in juvenile hall.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I don't know if everything should be legalized, but a whole lot should be decriminalized. That doesn't make it legal, it just keeps people from having criminal records for minor stuff.

17. TPadden macrumors 6502a

.....but if you just spank them you're the one who has to pay so that doesn't discourage it either.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I usually make the snarky joke responses. My point was that in many cases, they may be a victim. Teaching them to fear arrest means they can't go to anyone. You should also note that California's laws are heavily influenced by perceived big city problems.

19. TPadden, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

TPadden macrumors 6502a

At some level, particularly to a social worker, everyone's a victim, or of course they're in denial. California's laws are somewhat influenced by that perception.

Sooner or later they'll get around to legislating important things like dog poo bags.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't see where you're going with this. There are sex trafficking victims or teenage runaways that do this. The police may have an easier time shutting these things down if the minors involved do not fear jail time. Even in the case of kids that do this of their own volition, I suspect arresting the kids has a negative long term impact. As others have noted, pimps can still arrest pimps and johns. They also retain the ability to take these kids into custody. It merely removes the option of criminal charges.

Out of curiosity, what bothers you about this or these laws? They don't necessarily displace more important legislation.

21. TPadden, Jan 1, 2017

TPadden macrumors 6502a

They displace criminal justice resources, blurring them with social services. I'd rather they completely decriminalize things if they want to handle a problem as a social matter. It's absurd to make bahavior legal for underage individuals because they're victims but all of a sudden reaching adulthood makes them no longer victims so their behavior is now criminal.

As it is, California would like to legislate all behavior, declare everyone a victim, then require governmental solution to every problem.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The opposite happens with child molestation/statutory rape. Minors "all of a sudden" turn 18 and can be legally f**ked by any adult they like. I'm not sure why you're thrown by this sudden change of status, as it's been well understood for as years. Becoming an adult changes things. Why do you have a problem applying it to this situation?

23. TPadden, Jan 1, 2017

TPadden macrumors 6502a

WRONG, you have completely mixed up the criminal with the victim; in your "child molestation/statutory rape" case the minor is the victim. The criminal act isn't a crime for a victim no matter what age. Molestation/ Rape doesn't become legal at any age for the perpetrator. 18 is just the legal age of consent, which if given there is no criminal act.

The problem with Prostitution is it's a so called victimless crime where society is considered the victim, the prostitute is the criminal (so is the procurer and the John).

Not sure why you have a problem understanding this either. :rolleyes:

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay Donald. :rolleyes:

There is a consistent line of reasoning behind both this new law and existing laws protecting minors when it comes to sexual relations.

That consistent reasoning is that they are unable to knowingly consent to their acts, regardless of how willing and able they me be in engaging in them. Since it is a victimless crime and they are unable to consent to the sexual act, it's deemed a more suitable solution to handle this through their parents or the social system as opposed to treating them like criminals.

I do understand how some people will have a problem with that reasoning. I had never given it any thought until this thread was started, and have no fixed opinion about this new approach. You are welcome to disagree with the law all you like and the reasoning behind it as well.

25. TPadden, Jan 1, 2017

TPadden macrumors 6502a

Okay Hillary :D.
    Name one other law that protects a minor as the perpetrator in a criminal act. They may not be arrested, treated, or prosecuted, as adults, and have to be able to differentiate between right and wrong; but they can be arrested and prosecuted for every criminal act I can think of, including rape, sexual assault, robbery, arson, possession of a firearm or drug, DUI, even murder.

Either prostitution is a crime or it isn't. Being forced into prostitution is completely another case.