The Trump administration is the one looking down its nose at the heartland

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

The first quote below makes no sense to me. America’s present is the services sector where the majority of people work. But it does make me wonder if it’s really the Trump administration that’s looking down it’s nose at middle America assuming the only thing the people who live there are good for is working in a factory. They’re basically making people believe the only thing they’re good at is what their parents and grandparents did. I grew up in a small town. My dad worked at a flour mill most of his life. But he made sure all his kids were able to go to college and have their own careers. There’s more to middle America than factories and coal plants.

https://www.axios.com/why-trump-lit...utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

2. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Trump could start the ball rolling for manufacturing jobs by bringing the production of his clothing line to the U.S.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Or by raising the wages at Mar-A-Lago to a living wage, enticing permanent citizens to want to work there. That’s what those tax cuts were for, right? Let the companies keep more money, they’ll create more jobs and pay increases.

Of course, everyone knew that was B.S.

4. Rogifan, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

But why do we need more manufacturing jobs? Also isn’t unemployment at an all time low? Yet the heartland is supposedly full of people sitting around being miserable because they don’t have a manufacturing job?

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

It’s really hard to gauge the situation with so many contradicting reports. On one hand the economy is booming and unemployment is lower than ever. On the other hand, people in the heartland are still bitter and angry. Maybe the problem was never the economy...maybe the problem was always their bitter “victim” mentality. Coal is never coming back, but instead of training for new jobs they sat around on their asses waiting for some idiot presidential candidate to come around and tell them he’ll bring their coal jobs back and blame minorities and liberals for everything wrong in their lives. Obviously that could never work, but he told them what they wanted to hear. And it worked....for him anyway.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You should read: https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Hoarders-American-Leaving-Everyone/dp/081572912X

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

What the **** would Trump know about middle America having spent his entire life as a rich New Yorker?

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

He is so smart that he can figure it out all by himself!

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Regular unemployment figures don't take into account dropouts from workforce participation. It's a big number and a big percentage even though a lot of it is from retirees.

Interestingly, the percentage of people who give "retirement" as the reason for not working declined during the period 2004-2014 even though the number of retirees has increased... translation: aside from the fact that the boomers are now retiring, fewer people can afford to retire and they do have track records in the workforce. So although older workers may retire early or be forced out of their career-oriented jobs now, they may end up staying the workforce at some level for longer, until or unless they become disabled.

The percentage of those who cite disability as reason for not working is typically higher for those at the low end of the education scale, since the jobs they take are often physically more taxing and/or dangerous. The rate of disability as reason for not working is generally lower for workers who are highly educated and tend to take jobs working in offices.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/volume...in-the-labor-force-why-arent-they-working.pdf

https://www.thenation.com/article/u...nt-people-who-have-given-up-on-finding-a-job/

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right, I'll defend the Trump team a little bit on this one. If you lived through the '80s, you remember all the wailing attendant on the idea that switching to a service sector economy meant lower-paying jobs. We were even promised -- back then -- that service jobs weren't necessarily a bad thing because, after all, those included engineers and such to help design and run assembly lines. Well, the assembly lines went to Japan --> Korea --> China. And while white collar jobs did appear, they seemed to be outnumbered by jobs for cashiers and shelf-stockers. I even remember quotes from people like, "I used to make good money manufacturing phones for AT&T...now I make one-third of my old salary working at Walmart, selling the same phones I used to make."

Yes, that example is antiquated, and no, I'm not saying bringing back tons of manufacturing jobs would solve all of our problems. I'm just suggesting that they may not be entirely wrong. The problem is complicated. ("Who knew?")

All right, bring back some manufacturing jobs that pay a better wage than McDonald's. That raises costs to companies (as opposed to making things in China), which raises costs to you, which triggers inflation. Complicating everything is the fact that even if companies are manufacturing in the US and still making a healthy profit, they'd prefer to hoard it in a bank or distribute it to shareholders, rather than give workers a raise or bonus. They in turn are prodded by Wall Street prognosticators who tell a company what they expect each company's profit to be each quarter. And you know how that goes. If you make 10 million dollars and "the street" thinks you should've made 13 million, then you didn't have the good quarter you thought you did, you had a lousy quarter, because you didn't make as much as Wall Street expected.

Like I said...complicated.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair when retirement was setup the live expectancy at, say 60, was probably 70. Whereas now the life expectancy at 60 is probably 82

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Depending on which study you read, roughly 85 to 90 percent of jobs lost in the US manufacturing sector have been a result of automation, not trade.

And, yet:

“TREASURY SECRETARY Steven Mnuchin said Friday he doesn't expect to see technological innovation displacing jobs in the near future – an idea that appears to run counter to research suggesting automation has already knocked out millions of low-skill positions.

Speaking at an event Friday hosted by Axios, the treasury secretary faced a litany of questions ranging from the timing of tax reform, the comprehensiveness of regulatory adjustments and the future of U.S. trade relations with international partners.

But moderator and Axios co-founder Mike Allen dedicated part of Friday's discussion to artificial intelligence and automation's impact on the labor market.

On the former, Mnuchin said he was skeptical that any significant breakthrough was on the horizon. And on the latter, he said he's "optimistic" about technology and "not at all" worried about job displacement.

“Technology has made the American worker more productive. In terms of artificial intelligence taking American jobs, I think we’re, like, so far away from that – not even on my radar screen,” Mnuchin said. “I think it’s 50 or 100 more years.””

Link

13. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I disagree. Metallurgical coal is booming with prices having doubled since Trump took office.

One of the Hatfield McCoy ATV trails closed because they are opening the mine back up. So for now it is coming back.

Will it stay, probably not as NG is much easier to produce and use. But for now it is putting food back on a lot of miners tables.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Coal is ****ed in the medium term though. Wind and solar are cheaper. And even natural gas produces a lot less CO2.