The Truth about Apple and Google's OS video series

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gwmacosx, May 1, 2012.

1. gwmacosx macrumors newbie

First off let me say that I own an iPhone 4S and prefer iOS. I did have an Android phone before my 4S so I am familiar with both platforms. Even though I do prefer iOS, I have to admit there is a lot I don't like or miss about Android. I have high hopes for iOS 6 and the next iPhone. I have seen enough iOS 6 wishlist threads to know I am not alone. The video below is actually a 5 or 6 part series. This is the video for part 1. It is very biased and having watched all episodes I can say that he did make a few mistakes and inflates the superiority of Android but he was "mostly" accurate at least in terms of pointing out differences. There are plenty of areas where iOS is superior as well but I really could not find a similar video on youtube comparing iOS with Android but showing the deficiencies in Android or ways that iOS is superior. There are plenty of low quality videos by teenagers, but really none quite as detailed as the series this guy produced.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think of his points. Honestly not trying to flamebait and really just want some good counterpoints to use against my best friend who is a huge fandroid and made me promise to watch these videos and debate it with him later. I posted this on AI but that forum seems dead recently and no replies so thought I would try here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw&feature=relmfu

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Are you 12?
    Who cares?
    Buy what you like. Stop worrying about what the other person has and get on with your life.

3. gwmacosx thread starter macrumors newbie

Silly me, I thought tech forums were meant for exactly these types of discussions and debates. If you don't have interest in this topic might I suggest you get on with your life and stay off this thread.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Your reasoning for starting the thread (which I highlighted) is why I commented.
    I see it as you looking for someone else to put words in your mouth to help you "win" a meaningless debate.
    If you cannot come up with your own counterpoints after watching the videos, you have no argument.

The video series itself has been discussed in another thread and turned into a fanboy troll fest. Search... you might find it if it hasn't been locked and moved into no mans land already.
    No need to rehash the same crap over and over again.

As for me getting on with my life... it's mine time. I'll waste it how I choose. ;)

5. gwmacosx, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

gwmacosx thread starter macrumors newbie

I see I found the resident curmudgeon and self-appointed hall monitor. I am not looking to win any debate. You can't win any argument based on opinion or personal preferences. I was simply asking for thoughts and opinions on the video. I already know why and how I formulated my opinion so forgive me for asking what other people thought. Obviously this topic interest you on some level or you wouldn't have bothered replying twice.

You could have simply linked the thread that already discussed these videos instead of starting off with your snide comments by asking if I was 12.

I managed to find the thread you mentioned and it seems to be an interesting discussion and just what I was looking for so the mods can lock this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1364886&highlight=the+truth+about+google

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

OP just ignore the trolls.

I only watched the first video but the guy made some very legitimate points. There's another thread about it here

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Ok... I'll play.
    Despite the disclaimer in the intro, the video series is biased from the word go. He's trying to hard to say otherwise. ;)

He's also starting from a customized phone for starters.
    Then he goes into features that everyone knows does not exist on the iPhone.
    Yes, there is legitimate feature comparison, but again. He does so with a heavy slant to Android.
    Just listen to the tone of his voice.
    So watch with a grain of salt.

And no, not the hall monitor. Just a combo of bad day and seeing the same stuff posted over and over and over again.

So you can relax. :p

8. lordofthereef, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

All points he made are pretty valid.

That said, Apps are literally the only place that iOS has the edge, for me. Games are a no brainer. If you love games, get an idevice. There are some other key apps (not referencing games here) that I use that I cannot find on Android that I prefer on iOS.

The biggest argument is always customization. There is a give and take here. If you are about customization, go Android. Even a jailbroken iPhone won't give you what stock Android does here. If you want updates through the life of your contract and you want great support and warranty, go Apple. If you are spoiled, like me, go with both.

9. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I think he makes some valid points also. I will say as a result of those videos I spend some time playing with a galaxy nexus in the Verizon store today. My next phone was going to be an iphone or a WP, but that nexus was so smooth and imo easy to use I'm probably going to get one. It was my first time using LTE and that was awesome as well. I had pretty much turned my back on android after a horrible experience with the original Motorola droid, but ice cream sandwich is a whole new ballgame.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's because it's not a debate, it's personal preference. Would you ask for advice on how to argue with a friend on how a pear is better than a peach?

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. The "points" only matter to those that they matter to. Use what works for you and stop worrying over what is or isn't "superior". It's what's superior for your particular needs/wants that matters. If one option was universally superior then everyone would use it.