Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This is really far-fetched...

Maybe Steve Jobs is trying to convey a subliminal message by saying "Jag-Wire". We know that a Jaguar is a very fast car, and there are connections to Macs and Jaguar's in the newest Austin Powers movie... Well, Maybe "Jag-Wire" is the codename for Fire Wire 2.0 (Yes, I know this is very ridiculous, but bear with me ;) ) Since Jaguar's are fast, "Jag-Wire" must mean something fast that goes through wires...

I've really gotta lay off the mac bong and the crack pipe :D :cool:

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
The reason why he calls Jaguar "Jag-Wire" is because that's the way some us pronounce it. I say "Jag-Wire" just as well as everyone else in my family does. I doubt there's any secret meaning.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by al256
The reason why he calls Jaguar "Jag-Wire" is because that's the way some us pronounce it. I say "Jag-Wire" just as well as everyone else in my family does. I doubt there's any secret meaning.

Phooey, this is Apple. There has to be a conspiracy behind it...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just ask the British what the proper pronunciation of Jaguar is, or open a dictionary.

Don't worry, jag•wire is a perfectly acceptable form if you're using the Mircrosoft Dictionary.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Don't worry, jag•wire is a perfectly acceptable form if you're using the Mircrosoft Dictionary.

That really hurts man. I'm sure there's other people like us out there, somewhere.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by G4scott

Phooey, this is Apple. There has to be a conspiracy behind it...

Whether is Jag-wire or Jag-wahr or Jag-u-r, it's fast, like the cat.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Re: The truth behind "Jag-Wire"

Originally posted by G4scott
This is really far-fetched...

Maybe Steve Jobs is trying to convey a subliminal message by saying "Jag-Wire". We know that a Jaguar is a very fast car, and there are connections to Macs and Jaguar's in the newest Austin Powers movie... Well, Maybe "Jag-Wire" is the codename for Fire Wire 2.0 (Yes, I know this is very ridiculous, but bear with me ;) ) Since Jaguar's are fast, "Jag-Wire" must mean something fast that goes through wires...

:D I like this theory.

I've really gotta lay off the mac bong and the crack pipe :D :cool:

Just not yet man, I look forward to more of these theories. :D

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I tested some friends on it the other day at school, wrote done Jaguar on a piece of paper and asked them to read it out for me, a lot of them said Jag-wire which was not very surprising.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
i asked the same question of a friend, and he told me that there is a peice of server software called Jaguar, maybe Uncle Steve was trying to keep clear of a lawsuit, so he pronounced it "jag-wire"

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Maybe it means that aliens are taking over the earth, but they are doing it with wires that are jagged, and they have mind controlled steve jobs because they know that mac fanatics will do whatever he says, so he will use SJ as a pawn, who will in turn use us as pawns to take over the world and turn us into slaves. All of this was hinted at throgh the 1, kinda 2, words - Jag-wire.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by scem0
Maybe it means that aliens are taking over the earth, but they are doing it with wires that are jagged, and they have mind controlled steve jobs because they know that mac fanatics will do whatever he says, so he will use SJ as a pawn, who will in turn use us as pawns to take over the world and turn us into slaves. All of this was hinted at throgh the 1, kinda 2, words - Jag-wire.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

You know, thats exactly what i was thinking.:D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by scem0

So that must mean that charging for .Mac and $129 for Jaguar was a test to see how many of us are truly loyal to the Cult of the Almighty God-Like Jobs... :eek: :cool:

or Apple's just trying to make money :p :D :cool:

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: Not British

Originally posted by skunk
It's an American beast, so you lot can pronounce it how you will. The British pronunciation is "Jag"...

They're not native to the States, so we yanks really have no more standing than you brits. :) I have heard brits talking about the cars and saying "jag-you-ar," which seems to be the preferred pronunciation if you're not abbreviating.

On the subject of the cars, the best car review I ever read was about a Jaguar and read, in part, "CONS: Glovebox is too small to hold parts which fall off during normal operation."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.