The TSA reaching new heights of hilarity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rampant.A.I., Aug 25, 2012.

1. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Recently bought a small keychain multi-tool:

[​IMG]

Screwdriver, pliers, tiny scissors. And, unlike dangerous bladed weapons such as these:

[​IMG]

TSA compliant, meaning it's OK to take on a plane. It made me curious, though, about the current TSA regulations. What is and isn't OK to take on a plane?

[​IMG]

Tables found here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Apparently it's completely legal to carry a 7" bladed screwdriver onto a plane, as they're clearly not a stabbing implement. You can also bring your Craftsman wrench with you, as that's clearly a tool, and not something that could be used to bludgeon someone.

A pen, on the other hand, could land you in some serious trouble if it's a "tactical" pen.

Does this make absolutely no sense to anyone else?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What we need are people with high thinking capabilities running the govn't, but we can all wish. TSA is just riddled with people who failed to pass police academy or looking for a quick job.

TSA is and will always be a joke. They can never stop anything going through (Adam Savage passed a friggin saw blade for crying out loud). All the TSA does is react. We don't need an agency to react but proactively stay on top without groping and treating the passenger as a terrorist. Profiling? Big no-no.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Someone once pointed out that if you try to completely disarm everyone, then the one person who does manage to fashion a weapon is all but unstoppable. At least until someone else figures out how to turn their shoelace into a garrote.

Amtrak is good for me.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I think another question is why the TSA can violate virtually any law protecting human rights, civil rights, against discrimination, etc?...and why are there not sufficient checks and balances from within?

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I'm surprised the 2nd Amendment crusaders don't turn their attention to the TSA and put that energy to use with this parallel arguing point.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The problem with TSA is that it is reactive, not proactive. My biggest disappointment was the new scanners that before they came out, I imagined Arnold in Total Recall walking through a scanner, thinking this would be more convienent. WRONG. ;) Completely less convenient. Now every foreign object, other than clothes, has to come out of your pockets and off your person.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The TSA give the US a very bad reputation with international visitors. I was shocked at just how rude and unfriendly they were at Dulles airport the last time I was there (I'm a US citizen).

Mark my words: the next big attack won't occur in airplanes. It will happen where people are waiting in line for security.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I fly out of airports all over the United States, and Dulles by far has the rudest TSA staff.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe there is a place to complain online?

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't find it particularly funny. Especially when I see this infographic. (also attached)

I find it insulting that to travel within the country I was born and raised in I need to make the choice between unnecessary rick of radiation or the humiliation of being groped by someone on a power trip. And every experience with TSA has proved to me that they hire people that border on disturbed.

Unfortunately it won't change. Governments do not go backwards with civil liberties. If you are foolish enough to give them up without a fight, I hope you at least realize you won't get those liberties back.

tsa-waste.gif

11. AhmedFaisal Guest

I also love the millionaire/executive exemption, the trusted traveler network (Global Entry). I work in Global Marketing and thus travel A LOT. I asked my company if I they would pay for it considering my travel schedule. The answer I got was that it would only pay for VPs above a certain paygrade and up. And this program is NOT cheap. Basically the message it sends is so long as you "matter" i.e. you have green buck type of speech, you can get your civil liberties back.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I always wondered about that. Yet another reason for rioting in the streets. [I jest , I jest]

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I agree with you 100%. The TSA is not funny...and their abuse of powers is very worrisome and they have practically become their own militant group that operates outside of other governing bodies and documents. And yet no one really talks about this in the spotlight with the exception of Ron Paul.

----------

And this is even more disgusting. If you have money, then you obviously are somehow safer on a plane and so we will let you buy back human rights. :vomit:

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been body scanned 3 or 4 times now and I'm ready to abandon air travel to America. Every single time I've gone through security I've been checked, even on connecting flights.

My nearest airport will be using body scanners until November this year, and thankfully Europe has abandoned them. Guess I'll remain on this continent for now.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't like scanners, but it would not stop me from traveling somewhere I want to go.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not to discount the fact that the TSA is a ****ing joke, but Global Entry is for getting through Customs and Border Patrol when arriving in the US from an international flight and has nothing to do with the TSA.

My favorite exchange with a TSA was at PHL, during the ID check:
    TSA: [looks at my Missouri drivers license] This ID looks fake
    Me: I can assure you it's a very real Missouri drivers license
    TSA: [looks at it some more] Still looks fake to me
    Me: It's not.
    TSA: OK, here you go, have a nice flight.

This left me with 2 questions. First of all, why does he think a real Missouri DL is fake? Surely I'm not the only Missourian to fly out of PHL. At a major international airport, this guy must see IDs from all 50 states all the time. Does he give this kind of crap to every Missourian? Second question, if he truly thought it was fake, why did he take my word that it was real and let me on the plane. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he did let me through because I didn't have any other form of ID, but if he really thinks an ID presented to him is fake, then he shouldn't let that person through.

After that, I got a US Passport card. It's really only good for crossing the Mexican and Canadian borders on land and serves no purpose for air travel. But it is an accepted ID by the TSA, so now I show them that. It really throws them off because they don't see them too often. But I haven't had it denied. Yet.

Body scanners...I guess I've had good luck with avoiding them. I always manage to get in the line that doesn't have the nude-o-scopes and just has the regular metal detectors. Except once I ended up in the body scanner line. I was going to opt out but was running extremely late for my flight (and by late I mean "Will Mr. yg17 please get your ass to the gate in the next 3 seconds before we leave without you" on the PA late) and just said f it and went through the scanner.

And then I got into an argument of sorts with a TSA moron a few months ago about my "TSA Approved" laptop bag that doesn't require you to take your laptop out for scanning. Proud to say that I won that argument and kept my laptop in my bag :p

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's the problem. If you want to go to certain places you are forced into the creepy radiating scan or the humiliating grope. This presumes guilt before innocence and makes you prove it. This is the same BS employers and governments alike use to invade people's privacy. "Well, if you have nothing to hide..." that isn't the point. Civil liberties are not given back. Their preservation should always be fought for.

Probably too late now, seems we're stuck with TSA but I won't ever think of it as anything but a disgusting waste of time and money.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not flying won't stop me from going where I need to. For me it just means travelling will take a bit longer if I need to visit America.

19. AhmedFaisal Guest

It also includes TSA-PreCheck which is available already in some international airports and will be expanded to all airports that support Global Entry within the year. It basically gives you a fast pass through security and gets you around body scanners and other things.

I personally Opt Out every time I go to the airport. It's annoying and I have to be there earlier than normal to get through in time but considering how much I travel, I am not going to take the potential health risk and I feel it invades my privacy. And I like to give TSA a hard time every time.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is a mainly US/UK problem.

The airport checks in other parts of the world, are for the most part quite civilized.

I have been through US airports twice since the TSA, I myself have never had any problems, except for the time factor.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

On Friday, I'm going to be getting on a plane with 16 bags of fluids, each bag being between 1 and 1.5 liters. I'll have tubing, needles, vials and a pump with an external power source. While most of the bags will be in a gate checked cooler with frozen cold packs, we will have at least four bags in my carry-on.

I'm just waiting for the strange looks from other passengers when I break out the syringes and bags and the pump starts beeping as I prime the tubing.

TSA isn't so bad if you know what you're doing and how to work with them.

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

I have had no problems with airport security (outside of long lines) in years. I just don't care enough to get all up in arms over the scanners, and I've never been stopped or had to argue with the officers for any reason that wasn't reasonable. I hate airport security as much as everyone else, and wish I could bring a drink through, but I'm not going to add half an hour onto my time by avoiding the scanners and such.

23. AhmedFaisal Guest

Travel as much as I do and you will if you are at all concerned about your health.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

Been to over 170 cities (for a minimum of a week in each) in approximately 21 countries on four continents over the past 15 years. I think I've traveled plenty. I simply don't care that much.

25. Huntn, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, the terrorists have tied us into knots causing us to spend (waste?) huge amounts of dollars. I'd call that their victory. :(

It's a good philosophical discussion weighing individual liberties against a security threat and no doubt it's tricky. If we don't want people walking onto airplanes with explosives or biological agents, what's the best approach? I like the idea of personal interaction, something like the Israelis do. However when I go to an airport like Orlando, I see a nightmare from a delay standpoint with this method. However that is just my impression.