The TSA will now require separate screenings for all electronics ‘larger than a cell phone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rhonindk, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sigh, time to get one of those samsung 'phablets'
    [​IMG]

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's obviously necessary because of all the hijackings and other air travel-related terrorist incidents we've seen in the past ten years or so.

4. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

At least until the TSA and HS make their minds up about phablets.
    That's actually still an open question for foreign travelers I understand.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2017 ---
    I'm not sure what they think I can cram into my iPad mini.
    Most screener's can't identify something wrong if it was labeled as such. This is supposed to help?
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/6/tsa-failed-detect-95-percent-prohibited-items-minn/

5. BigMcGuire, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I flew overseas this year and ... yeah I'm resigned to reading Kindle books on my iPhone (at least it is a 6s+). It was not worth it to go through all that hassle.

That said, I still got randomly selected for the "let's go to a separate room" full body pat down, going through my luggage, 40+ questions (most of them similar to see if I was lying), and the 5+ chemical wipes. Only advantage to this was, I got to board the plane first :).

It REALLY REALLY SUCKS when I have to carry 2 laptops (personal/work). Yes, it sure does. :p

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Security Theater. The TSA is still failing at alarming rates when it comes to tests....meaning this is all for show anyway.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

The only effective airport screening imo was Germany (Frankfurt). They put you in this small enclosed area with a camera that can do a full body scan (it moves up and down/right and left), they shine bright lights on you and tell you to take off a coat, or pat down areas like your jeans --- all the while they are several hundred feet away behind bulletproof glass. The camera they have can do a full 360 and it allows them to talk to you. Then they run your face against a database of criminals/wanted persons before letting you out of the glass/metal box/cage.

I thought that was pretty cool (scary but cool).

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's it exactly.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Almost the entirety of the rest of the world has less absurd airport screening procedures. I can't help but think the implementation of the Homeland Security department, the TSA, and many of these policies are really just part of the overall plan to get US citizens in the mindset that none of this is authoritarian, its just for your safety :rolleyes:

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The quest for "absolute security" is inevitably a one-way trip to absurdity. We probably passed that point many years ago.

From now until the end of human existence, we'll be forced to remove shoes and belts and empty our pockets. I would not be at all surprised if some bright spark at the TSA eventually dreams up a scenario that demands passengers be subject to 100% strip search, including body cavity inspection, before boarding a commercial airliner.

At which point I think most of us will just give up. I pray that my flying days will be long past by then, but given the pace at which this nation is plummeting into madness, I fear not.

11. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Just then you thought flying couldn't get any worse, thank you official religion of peace.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"You act like an anal scan is such a violation of your privacy, its just being safe!" - Americans, 2025

13. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

At least they aren't asking us to power them up too :eek:

So now we get there how many extra hours early and see just how long the lines can get ... Oh joy o_O

14. samcraig macrumors P6

But what if most of the incidents of violence is coming from the Cabin Crew (IE United Airlines). ;)

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The TSA is a religion now?

16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

No,but we all know what ideology is responsible for these polices being put into place.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I know a few people that stopped flying commercial when they started requiring state issued photo I.D.'s.

Stop being enablers.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The TSA goes one step further to create keep our skies safe... oh wait I meant create the illusion of security. :rolleyes:

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Capitalistic authoritarianism.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Nope, try again.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We all know the game you're playing, I'm not taking the bait.

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Which is what?

23. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I'll give you a hint: it was deemed to be the official religion of peace.

24. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

lol I'll admit that this took me a lot longer to get than it should have. :p

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Who was the officiator? Did they borrow your broad brush to paint this picture too?

Yeah if you didn't get where he was pointing to, you haven't spent that much time here in the PRSI... good for you!