The U.S/China Trade Embargo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 5, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I've been trying to educate myself about world economics. Didn't the U.S have a trade embargo against China at sometime in history? I don't mean the arms embargo; I mean a total ban on Chinese imports. Wasn't there a ban sometime around when Nixon was president? Wasn't there also a ban sometime during the U.S/Korean war?
    Was there a ban sometime during World War II also? :confused:

I can't find any information from Google except about the U.S/China arms embargo.

2. Queso macrumors G4

This should help, together with the references at the bottom :)

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Some interesting stuff at the link.

Perspective: Back around 1950 when I lived in Manila, I heard the Chinese businessmen referred to as "the Jews of the Orient", for their great business acumen. The Chinese people are inherently capitalistic in their personal viewpoints, as near as I can tell. Historically, they've dominated business in all of SE Asia.

Whatever "Communism" exists now in China is lip-service. They have an authoritarian system, but it's probably more mercantile than anything else.

Since Nixon opened up relationships there, and with Mao gone and the hardliners of his sort no longer in control, China has finally leapt forward in their economy. They're the fastest growing economy in the world, running about 9% to 10% per year. They're now the world's largest market for Gucci, Rolex and Mercedes. They're using about half the world supply of steel and cement. Their oil imports exceed those of Japan.

If you've shopped at any big-box store or eomputer/electronics store in the last fifteen years, you can't help but have gone past products from China, be it clothing, car parts, computer stuff or cameras.

China holds some $1.2 trillion dollars of U.S. paper...

'Rat