The U.S. Military Academy at West Point is now a "safe space."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 9, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Thanks a lot, leftist academia. Your cloying stupidity is affecting even our most hallowed institutions.

Raised-Fist Photo by Black Women at West Point Spurs Inquiry

This photograph has the entire DoD in a tizzy. How much tax-dollars will they spend on this "investigation." I hope this doesn't affect their careers. Hell, they haven't even being commissioned yet.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Our hallowed institutions?

How fetishized the military has become in this country?

Anyway, you're upset that the military of all institutions has to investigate? I don't think you even know who you're upset with on this one.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, sure sounds like leftists were up in arms over this. :rolleyes:

4. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Pretty sure it was NOT leftists who spurred this investigation... such a common scapegoat for you it is in everything you see eh?

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Yes, I'm upset with the "safe-space" types who made every single expression of an idea or opinion a point of controversy. A backlash was inevitable. Someone who "fetishizes" West Point (which is hardly "the military") would believe this worthy of an investigation, rational people wouldn't care.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Where are the "lefty's" that you are claiming causing an issue here? It seems the people that are upset can safely be placed on the right end of the spectrum here.

I'm really trying to understand what point you are trying to make? Are you saying that now the right is talking about safe spaces (as they have been at institutional levels for years) as a result of the supposed left wing (and terribly reported) "safe space controversies"?

Do you understand when you are being played as a pawn in culture war journalism?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The "safe space" types wouldn't be concerned about BLM, your side is.

Your faux anger and rage seem to get worse by the day. I'm concerned you'll throw an aneurysm before the conventions. Take a deep breath dude.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No kidding. It goes both ways.

The left normalized the exclusion of ideas and expressions of intolerance, outrage, and victimhood on modern campuses. Once it was confined to loonies in the English departments. Over the years it's infected other parts of the academic body.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'll just post the question again:

"Do you understand when you are being played as a pawn in culture war journalism?"

10. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

"Culture war journalism?" In the New York Times? No way!

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you don't understand, got it. You'd rather just play along.

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I guess you're suggesting to ignore what I read in the New York Times and other media. That's unrealistic.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, I'm suggesting that you learn to parse media messaging.

https://medialiteracyproject.org/learn/media-literacy/ <-For a rudimentary understanding of what I'm talking about.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Right, I'll refer to a SJW site to learn how to "parse" the media.

No bias there.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Jesus Christ.

Here's the ****ing subject if your precious eyes can't bare to stare at a site that offends you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_literacy

17. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What political statement? Imitating Beyonce?

I'll just read what I want when I want with a skeptical appraisal of everything. So far in life it's done me very well.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    So this is what the world will look like when objective thought dies. Comeon, guys! Let's define everything as seen through the lenses of our loves and bugbears!

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you're already halfway there to literacy in media, what exactly is preventing you from understanding the rest?

20. Limey77 macrumors regular

You have a VERY bizarre idea of what has served you well if you are critiquing your appraisal skills.

21. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Literally the biggest point to be gleaned from the whole thing, not just this instance but the college campus conundrum all together.

22. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

No worse than any of GWB43's "free speech zones".

Wait, isn't this the same West Point where there's the occasional rape problem? Hmmm, that seems just a tad bit worse for such an esteemed, "hallowed" institution. I bet they're all commie lefties too, since righties can never do any wrong - especially those impeaching Clinton for sex outside his marriage (despite the lot of them doing the same thing while putting Clinton on trial or molesting boys or other things...)

In other words, Americans are sick of the partisan blame game because it's not so neatly pegged or scapegoated...

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It is a long-time tradition at West Point that cadets pose in ceremonial uniform in front of Nininger Hall, often imitating the lounging postures of their 19th century forebears.

[​IMG]

I'll be honest and say that when I look at that photograph, I don't see anything to do with Black Lives Matter.

What I do see is a group of determined; smart; dedicated; and patriotic, and - yes - beautiful young women. Happy and proud of their achievement. Standing strong with their classmates.

Lets also remember they are wearing grey uniforms that are all but indistinguishable from those worn by Robert E. Lee; Stonewall Jackson; and P. G. Beauregard when they were cadets at West Point. And reflect for a moment on the immense achievement of our country and her people that we have got to the point where young African American women can proudly serve their country in the same uniform.

I think they've earned the right to make a gesture indicating their strength and solidarity. And I'm reminded of a maxim from my own Anglo-Norman culture:

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Shame on whosoever would think badly of it

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Leftists, Obama... pick your progressive, it's like a crap shoot.