The UK small carriers (Giffgaff,Virgin,etc.) nano sim thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erpetao, Sep 14, 2012.

1. erpetao macrumors regular

I open this thread to keep track of solutions for the small carriers like Giffgaff, Virgin Mobile, etc. who don't offer nano sims for the iphone 5.

For giffgaff there's this thread stating that they won't have nano sims for months (people seem to be rushing out of gg and asking for PAC codes): http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/giffgaff-nano-SIM-update/ba-p/5953002

For Virgin Mobile for the sound of it there won't be nano sims in the near future, there are no news from the official channels: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Nano-Sim-on-Virgin-mobile/td-p/1451072

2. erpetao thread starter macrumors regular

No updates so far for virgin or giffgaff. The giffgaff thread keeps growing exponentially with more and more people threatening to leave and asking for pac codes.

3. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

They don't need to make specific nano sims (as this will not happen), they just need to make the chip smaller so that we have the option to cut the sim. I honestly believe that their sims will not work in the iPhone 5 at all.

4. erpetao thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't aware of that, who has the big size chip? Virgin or Giffgaff?

5. tiiim macrumors regular

I might be wrong, I'm sure I read the nano sim is also thinner.

6. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

I can't speak for GiffGaff as I've not been with them for years but the actual chip on their standard sims is huge. It's a shame, but i read somewhere that Virgin customers are restricted to only 1.8 MB and doing tests in and around London this is the case - can anyone confirm this too?

7. erpetao thread starter macrumors regular

No idea, the Virgin nano sim thread doesn't have a lot of movement, only 4 pages, while the giffgaff nan sim is 60+ pages.

8. erpetao thread starter macrumors regular

9. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I'm on giffgaff am cut the sim down to nano size, works fine.

This said I got my PAC code and am heading to three as O2 are completely incapable of fixing there 3G speeds here... Stuck at 0.06mb for months now and enough is enough.

10. retrostate macrumors newbie

I posted yesterday about cutting my Virgin mobile mini sim (large chip) to nano.

I cut it last year to micro - worked fine

I cut it yesterday to nano - worked fine

11. dickovski macrumors regular

dickovski

I cut an old Giff Gaff sim down using the template (actually cut it a bit too small as it almost fell through the tray) worked fine.

Then went for it on my current Virgin Sim, this time didn't cut enough off so had to sand it down to size with a paper nail file. Fits and works perfectly. :)

I too may move to 3 though but will wait and see what speeds I get on Virgin through this week.

Dickovski

12. dickovski macrumors regular

dickovski

Just to add that although it worked great without sanding the thickness down I have just taken it out and sanded it thinner (just took the printing off the back). Probably won't make any difference but didn't want to take the risk of putting too much pressure on the contacts.

13. erpetao thread starter macrumors regular

Any status updates for those who cut the sim by themselves?

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

whats a pac code?

15. dickovski macrumors regular

dickovski

Yep, Virgin Sim still working, 2 weeks on and no problems to report. :D

16. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Oh hahah okay over here we don't have to do that so I was just curious

18. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

No problems with my cut down sim (not that I expect any).

Users need to realise the size of the external metal contacts are unimportant.

The actual contacts are buried under the metal (and some of the metal contacts aren't even connected to the IC).

I disassembled a large contact sim, and it's obvious what it actually important.

[​IMG]
    Notice, only 5 actual contacts, and they are nowhere near the edges of the metal bits on top of them.

[​IMG]

As long as you don't cut into the marked area you cannot damage the actual IC or connected contacts.

19. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Theres some very good tariffs from places like orange or three now that compete on price with Giffgaff and virgin.

I Left GG as i didn't like their attitude towards the nano sims, they basically didn't care that they didn't have any and don't seem to care when they get them. It took them months to get micro sims sorted too.

Im now with orange sim only for £10.50 a month, 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb internet. Better signal too!