Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
There are so many different active threads about the release of new hardware, so I'd like start a new one, collecting as much information as possible from other threads.

We know that the entire computer line (except for the Xserves, of course) are due to be updated in the weeks to come.

1. PowerMacs
The March 23 was incorrect. But there were other rumours pointing at a release at the end of March. Because of the end of Apple's fiscal year on March 27 and the memory promotion ending on the same day, many people thought (and still think) that March 30 has to be the day. Other people think that we won't see new PMs until WWDC in late June. The important question is whether Apple plans to release one or two revisions of PMs in 2004. If they plan to release only one revision this year, WWDC seems to be the date. Steve Jobs could introduce the 3GHz PM in front of a large audience. On the other hand, should Apple intend to produce two different revisions for 2004, we'll definitely see Rev. Bs anytime soon. My guess is Single 2.0, dual 2.2 and dual 2.4 on March 30 (or April 6)

2. PowerBooks
The question here is if the next revision will have G4s or G5s. If they release another G4 revision, they will do it soon and quietly. The specs might look like this:

12"
1.25 GHz G4
256 MB RAM
60 GB HD
64 MB MB ATi Radeon 9600
Airport Extreme ready
Combo or Superdrive

15"
1.25 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
60 GB HD
64 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme ready
Combo
Backlit keyboard optional

15"
1.33 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme built-in
Superdrive
Backlit keyboard

17" 1.42 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme built-in
Superdrive
Backlit keyboard

Release: probably second half of April.

If the next revision has G5s, we won't see them until at least WWDC or more likely Mac World Paris. My guess, though, is G5 PBs at MWSF 05.

3. iBook
The iBook's fate depends on what's going to happen to the PB and to the 12" PB in particular. If PBs are speed bumped in April, iBooks might get their speed bump in May. The specs would be the same except for processor speed: 12" 933 MHz, 14" 1 GHz, 14" 1.25 GHz.

4. iMac
Here again the question: G4 or G5? Some people pointed out that as long as Apple hadn't moved their pro line (PBs) to G5, there was no way they would release a G5 iMac. If my assumption is correct (no G5 PBs in 2004), I don't think they would wait until March 2005 for a G5 iMac. My guess is we'll see a 1.6 GHz iMac (17" and 20") after the relase of Rev. B PMs, probably in May (May 11?).

5. eMac
The eMac needs a redesign because its specs (no USB 2.0, SDRAM, ATi 7500) is clearly outdated for a 2004 model, even for the education market. USB 2.0 and DDR SDRAM should be standard on all models. My guess is they will release two new 1GHz eMacs with Combo or Superdrive (or less likely, 1.25 GHz +Superdrive) and USB 2.0, DDR SDRAM memory and a new graphics chip (ATi 9200?) in April or in May at the very latest.

JamesDPS

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
Irvine, CA
Sweet -- another hardware release thread!

j/k.... but I'm just glued to the PM ones -- my money has been on March 30 for quite a while now (don't believe me? Go check the powermac rumor threads!)

New Powerbooks will come soon, I think, but G5s are hard to imagine.

Yay! I posted another chunk of speculation! (18% rumor, 82% common sense - approximately - and a dash of optimistic hopefulness!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.