"The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as VZW or Sprint"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icanhazapple, Oct 7, 2011.

1. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

trolol. this can't possibly be true from (both) a legal and technical standpoint, can it?

2. exhibit.b macrumors regular

I just read that. I don't understand that statement at all.

The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

3. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

The "world phone" statement by Apple is a marketing ploy.

If you with Verizon you can have a verizon micro sim that allows you to roam on GSM networks while overseas is my understanding of how they can legally claim to be a "world phone."

4. icanhazapple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

icanhazapple thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm more concerned with the fact that they are stating you cannot use an unlocked 4S on Sprint or Verizon's network. Why? If I bring my own hardware to a carrier, why am I unable to use it if it's the exact same physical device. (and has a clean ESN, etc.)

The purpose of this being -

1) I don't like being on contract with a carrier, even if they're providing a $400 subsidy for the device. I am the consumer, and am capable of making decisions that are in my best interest, not the carriers

2) I want to be able to travel overseas and not be forced to use Verizon's completely insane pricing on international data packages.

5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

When I just upgraded Verizon gave me the world phone option I delinced cut its possible to have a Verizon world phone

6. IcyStorm macrumors regular

Verizon and Sprint have set ESNs for their networks. They probably will not approve the ESNs of unlocked iPhone 4S devices.

7. icanhazapple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

icanhazapple thread starter macrumors 6502

bingo. and therein lies the crime. and as an aside, this is ILLEGAL with the open-access rules that were part of the 4G spectrum auction. So hopefully with the 4GS, we will not be faced with same problems, as the carriers are required by law to activate any device on their network that uses spectrum which falls under that provision.

Anyways, looks like I'll be waiting for the 4GS.

8. johnnymac1216 macrumors newbie

verizon unlocked (jail broke) 4gs 32gb can be used on Cricket

I was in a cricket store, and they told me you can use a new Verizon 4g, 4gs iPhone with crickets service. Has anyone heard any news to support that statement.???

You can't use a ATT 4g, 4gs

Please let me know your thoughts

----------

Verizon 4g4gs will work on cricket network

9. ANMA dojo, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  10. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

why did you reply to a 1 year old thread and refer to a phone called the "4gs"?

11. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

CDMA crap uses ESNs and Verizon and Sprint only allow ESNs from phones originally made for their networks on their service. There is no bring your own device to a CDMA carrier unlocked or not.