Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Feel free to post legitimate speculation. If you feel somebody is intentionally trolling or posting misleading information, please report the post. I'll also report the header from the previous thread.

-------------------

Please keep the following in mind:

Clearly people are itching for a new MacBook Pro. However in the past few weeks there have been numerous threads and posts posting deliberately false and misleading information.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

Please take a look at numbers 4 and 5:

4. "Trolling". Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned. Basically, don't try to pick fights. Knowingly posting false information is also prohibited.
5. Any ongoing actions that make more work for the moderators and administrators or regularly annoy other members and require moderator action. If banning you is easier than dealing with the problems you are causing, you will be banned.

Going forward, please report any such posts and they will be dealt with accordingly.

Unless you have a relevant link from a reputable site, do not make threads stating that tomorrow is Tuesday (we all have access to a calendar) or that the Apple store is up (it generally is).

lucky518

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
I think this will be the last part because acoording to the rumor we got lately i think the new mbp's will be here next tuesday!!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
My 14-day return period for my MacBook Pro ends on Thursday 25th March.

I'm really really hoping something gets released before then - I need a MBP now, and waiting any longer isn't really an option.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
just a question:

Would the gains from a new iX processor be noticable to an average user?

*Please don't yell @ me for being a new poster. I've been reading this thread for months now and after today's hint at price increases finally decided to ask a question. Thanks*
What a stupid question!

Just joking . . . I'm actually in the same boat. I won't notice a difference with Arrandale for what I do, the Arrandales will probably have some kinks to work out that I don't want to deal with while the current C2D's have been tweaked to perfection. If the price really increases, I'm certainly not interested, I just don't want to pay $1500 for a C2D today and have it drop to $1200 next week.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
price better not increase or i'm gonna go get the older model or just go for sony vaio z
agreed. in an economical time when people are saving their money, why would they increase the price? Every other manufacturer can hold their prices and upgrade their machines.

centrik

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Hopefully this will be the final thread.

Does anyone else think the price increase, if mirrored in the us prices, is representative of more "pro" components. The price discrepancy may be accounted for buy a solid gpu like the 5830 or so. We can only hope I guess.

Also, for those who hav been around for other refreshes, has the price ever gone up? If so, what upgrade(s) caused the price hike

wandrer2

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
There was a post about potential price increases in Europe on hardmac, recently:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/03/09/macs-to-be-more-expensive-in-europe-and-in-the-rest-of-the-world-beside-usa

(Note: a guy I know compared his recent Canada mac purchase with the Swedish equivalent: in Sweden he'd pay $1000 more!)

So the Aussie price increase may just be due to worse exchange rates. Then again, I'd say it's unlikely that Apple increases their prices by such a margin without updating the products. (When I worked in retail in Europe, the worst price increase I came across was about 10 euro. At one point all Sony products got this price bump simultaneously...)

CDutch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
Pardon my ignorance but is the Nvidia integrated graphics card sufficient for playing HD video? I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase a refurb of the current generation or the updated model when it's released...either way, I'm waiting until the refresh to ensure I don't overpay for a C2D.

HoT dEv1L 666

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
Singapore
Ok, this right here is Episode III - Revenge of the Sith right?

Should we then expect to see Arrandale Skywalker be transformed to Darth MacBook Pros then? :)

wandrer2

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Again, it may also be desirable to have this useful FAQ by RhymesWithSeven on the first page of these threads:

Source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...t=#post9374331

Yes, this thread DOES need a FAQ. So here's a start:

#1 - Why are you all here?

- We're waiting for an inevitable refresh / update of Apple's Mac Book Pro line of laptops (13", 15" 17")

#2 - When will they be released?

- Dude, if we knew, we wouldn't be here. No one knows. Possibly the first half of March, perhaps April, maybe even June.

#3 - What will happen with the current Core 2 Duo MBP's?

- They'll probably be moved to the refurbished section of the Apple online store, and probably have a slight discount compared to their current prices. How much lower, or by what %, we don't know.

#4 - What will be included in the MBP update / refresh?

- Again, no one knows, and many have speculated. Chances are good that it will be processors in Intel's iCore line (i5's, i7's).

A decent speculation can be found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...t=#post9372554

But again, like everything else here, we don't know for sure.

#5 - Who is this IKnowStuff, AppleMayhem people keep referring to?

- No one. Never mind. He brought bad promises and has been banished from our conscious minds.

#6 - What is Optimus technology?

- (In a nutshell) A technology (being) developed by graphics processor manufacturer Nvidia that has to do with the computer being able to automatically switch back and forth between a lower powered graphics card and a higher powered dedicated graphics card, depending on which is needed. The different cards affect computer performance versus battery life - something Apple cares deeply about.

#7 - I need a laptop - should I buy now or wait?

If you can wait, then wait. If you need one now, then buy one now. Or wait and buy a Core 2 Duo later at a lower price from the refurb section. The choice is yours.

#8 - If I buy a MBP now, can I return it if new ones come out?

Each vendor has different regulations. Some allow 14 days, some 7. Some require a x% restocking fee, some don't.

Bottom line - check with your vendor (Apple Store, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)

#9 - I don't really need a portable laptop - what's my best price/performance option?

Go with an iMac that suits your budget. Larger screen / faster processor / HD / RAM / etc. than MBPs for equal or less $$.

#10 - Why doesn't Apple like Blu-Ray?

- Many possible reasons: Need to license; continued (future) reliance on physical optical-type drives & space in machines; competes with iTunes / AppleTV as purchase/delivery option for current and future high-end content.

I'm sure there are more...

#11 - Will they have USB 3.0?

Again, we just don't know. Nothing so far has pointed to or away from the possibility.

#12 - What's with the Tuesdays?

This seems to be Apple's preferred day for hardware releases.

ShowsOn

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
So the Aussie price increase may just be due to worse exchange rates. Then again, I'd say it's unlikely that Apple increases their prices by such a margin without updating the products.
Yesterday morning the Australian Dollar reached US$0.92, That's the highest level for 2 months.

I recall that Apple cut their iPod prices by about 5% once due to the increasing exchange rate.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Greatful to now be able to spend more time of my life in my life than on this thread, got my 13" Won't look back, no regrets maybe spank me, i could wait i absolutely needed it

arjen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Originally Posted by Moel
umm....you've got your iPhone, you've got your macbook...tethering it with say a cable...would umm charge your iPhone and you wouldn't have to have bluetooth on...thus saving you battery and charging it up at the same time...or am i missing something here.
Yes Moel you are missing something namely; I don't want to drag along a cable and constantly connect my iPhone to my (new) MBP. I also don't want to drain my MBP battery more than necessary. The whole point of mobility is that you can do without the cables. So mobile broadband integrated would be great and is not new. Competitors are already putting it in their models (e.g. Sony VAIO Z (BTO option for $100)).

plaxico44

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
PA
I really hope they dont raise the prices in the middle of a recession..... If they do, I'm afraid I may have to settle for a mid priced CPU or in a worst case, the low priced CPU :( That would really suck. But anyway, does anyone have any opinions on the possibilty of a 1GB GPU?

arjen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Dear oh dear... thread number six. Starting to believe we will actually reach part i7.

Waldszenen

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Sydney
Pardon my ignorance but is Nvidia integrated graphics card sufficient for playing HD video? I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase a refurb of the current generation or the updated model when it's released...either way, I'm waiting until the refresh to ensure I don't overpay for a C2D.
Good question. Hoping someone can answer this for me too.

Also, will using a larger/more powerful graphics card drain more battery life when you're just using it for regular use? (i.e. web browsing, Office etc)

iTattoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Toronto
Greatful to now be able to spend more time of my life in my life than on this thread, got my 13" Won't look back, no regrets maybe spank me, i could wait i absolutely needed it
Same deal here - but got the white MB from the refurb store. Scrapped the plan to buy 13" high end MBP and ACD. Will just keep my iMac and run two machines. The iMac can still keep pace with what I expect the 13" MBP will do, and I'm tethered to my desk 75% of the time.

No regrets here, and $1000's saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.