The Unofficial Waiting for Version 3.0 of the iPhone to Come Out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phil83, Jan 18, 2009.

1. phil83 macrumors regular

I'm surprised an thread hasn't been started for this as I know I can't be the only one.

When the first iphone came out, I really wanted it, but I decided to be smart and waited.

Then iphone 3G came out, with GPS and 3G and I said I still need at least 32GB to make this my one and only device.

So I've been waiting and waiting, while all my other friends have been buying their iphones.

But I know, good things come to those that wait... and I'll have iphone that kick's everyone else's phone butt :D

I'm putting my money (well saving it) on will have Version 3.0 of the iphone out by late August!

So who's out there like me waiting?

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Nothing prevents someone with a 3G from upgrading to a new one.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

other than that att contract.

5. phil83 thread starter macrumors regular

You guys are completely missing the point of this thread.

Yes, there are threads about what the next iphone my have, or do and such.

This is for all those waiting.

6. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

May I ask why 32 is the magic number for you?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How can we miss the point of a thread with no point?

To fit all the farting apps, naturally.

8. phil83 thread starter macrumors regular

I have 26GB of music...

Good Grief! The thread was made in my attempt to put all generic thoughts on the upcoming iphone in one place.

9. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

There is a sticky about this already

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I suggest you keep waiting because there will be a 64 GB iPhone, when that comes out wait a little longer and you can get the 128 GB iPhone.

Personally I'm holding out for the Cray Super-computer model.

11. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Don't forget, it'll have version 6.0 eventually, so he might as well wait for that

12. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Well, I'll play OP.

I've been waiting since the first iphone was released as well. Not really on purpose but because I had just renewed my T-Mobile contract shortly before the iphone was released. I didn't really expect much from the iphone and had not been following it much at all, in fact I wanted a windows mobile smartphone at the time until I saw all the hoopla and craziness going on on the G4 channel that day. People lining up for miles, the host playing with their new iphones and such was just too much! I HAD TO HAVE ONE!

Plans fell into place shortly there after. I had 3 lines on my T-Mobile account, My wife, My mother-in-law and myself. So after talking it over with my wife, ya know, about buying a $600 phone (to her its just a phone anyways), we finally agreed that when all 3 of our lines were finished on contract then we would switch over to At&t for a new family plan and as long as I had the money saved I could get my iphone. Now that would take me comitting to sack lunches and minimal spending for the next year or two which I will get to shortly.

Here I am nearly 2 years later and all 3 lines are contract free, finally! It's been a loooong wait my friends and let me tell you it's been pretty fun keeping up with all the iphone news from week to week. You can ask my wife, since iday 1.0 I have been committed to getting this thing and it's all she really hears about I almost feel sorry for her having to listen to "iphone this", "iphone that", haha but she's been really cool about it.

Currently I have $175 in Apple gift cards and next month when we get our income tax money back I'm keeping 200 bucks out of that to myself. So 375 bucks should be enough to cover any iphone coming, I would hope anyways.

But to answer your intial question.

I've waited since June of '07, I think I can handle another 5 1/2 months until sometime around WWDC to see if anything new is coming but that is definately my breaking point. :eek:

Yea, I'm waiting and I'm cool with that. :cool:

13. slapppy macrumors 65816

Disappointed

I for one am disappointed with Apple. With such a big lead to be suddenly overtaken by the Palm is a big blow to the iPhone platform. Science Channel just showed the Palm at CES and the UI was fast, fluid. Plus having all the features we asked for almost 2 years.

I don't expect 3.0 to catchup or even be close on par with Palm. Six months not enough time.

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Oh, now it makes sense. :rolleyes:

15. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I dunno if I'd say they are "taken over" but it seems like this Palm is going to be the closest thing to catching up as anyone else has got yet.

I mean the thing isn't even in consumer hands yet, let's see what happens when they start shelling them out. Although I've heard that the battery provided sucks big time, but that's what's great about it is that you can swap out the battery and probably buy one of those aftermarket larger batteries if you want.

I expect apple to answer back big in June. Should be an interesting next 5 months leading up to WWDC. I'll be here waiting on the news. :D

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Yes they need to catch up to the phone that isn't released yet. Are you out standing in line for your Pre?:confused:

Imagine a prototype looking good hmmm.

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Hopefully in more than one way. ;)

18. slapppy macrumors 65816

The argument that its not released yet is weak. The device is real, not vaporware. I wish I can, but I have the iP3G, spent way too much money on it already.

19. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

And what are you waiting for my friend? :)

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't know about him, but it's a Gainestown Mac Pro for me.

21. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Yea, I'm gonna have to agree with that. I mean, there were several more than knowledgable people playing with it at CES and have seen the thing more up close in person than any of us have and they seem to like it. Or better yet, I havn't heard much negativity about it from anyone I know that has played around with one, only "OMG, I may be ditching my iphone for this!"

22. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

As I can tell!

Just googled "Gainestown Mac Pro" and the first hit was your thread created here on MR about it! Haha. :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=635530

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, cool! That's the intent: if people know what Gainestown is and want to know more about what will be in their next Mac Pro, they'll search for that and find what they need.

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn