Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
Hey people considering that the 1st gen iPad has been introduced and as you have read a lot of people that wanted the magical slate are disappointed. This thread is to all hopes and speculations that the 2nd generation iPad will be more like the magical slate that everybody dreamed about for years rather than the "magical" larger iPad touch. Everybody waiting for the 2ng gen already (me included) feel free to speculate on the upcoming one and hate on the current one...:apple::D

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The thing about waiting for a v2 of the iPad as I see it is that its a very different situation from holding out for a v2 of the iPhone or a laptop.

The iPhone OS is now very mature and feature-rich, so its not like the iPad OS is a true v1 piece of software. There's been stuff online recently to suggest the next version will support multi-tasking as well.

The main criticism of those who were expecting something other than a "large iPod touch" is that the iPad isn't running Snow Leopard, so is subject to the same "restrictions" as the iPhone and Touch. That isn't going to change with a v2 either.

Not sure why people would sit out the v1 of the iPad. If they don't like it, I can't see v2 changing their mind and they should look at alternative products imo. Unless of course you really want a camera on it I guess.

Interesting to see why people would wait for a v2 though.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'm thrilled with the iPad, but my ultimate pad has 128GB storage, front & rear facing camera. And, multi-tasking... that's my cake.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
Not to mention the odd aspect ratio screen (almos 4:3). Now i understand that it is great for books but not for everything else. Webpages would be way nice on a 16:9 screen and you dont need to scroll that much on vertical orientation. Movies would look greater and true HD. The only reason that they will never change the screen aspect ratio is because of the new apps adopted or created for the current resolution. If the change the screen aspect ratio they will need to change the whole iPad store. Front facing camera would be very appreciated as well.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The 4:3 screen resolution ratio is good for everything in general. On a 9.7" slate 16:9 just won't work, in portrait you'll have too much space vertically and not enough horizontally, the reverse in landscape -- which is great for movies, but not much else.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm fairly certain people disappointed in the iPad coming on Sat will also be disappointed in next year's model if their own mind set doesn't change. The iPad is a revolution, but the hardware itself will evolve slowly. It will likely never have the majority of features the 8htrs want. Enjoy your stay in purgatory.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Bigger Sizes, for storage, but NO CAMERA. It's a waste, wouldn't use it, don't want it.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Bigger Sizes, for storage, but NO CAMERA. It's a waste, wouldn't use it, don't want it.

I wouldnt want a proper camera however think it deserves a webcam.

As a massive Skype user this thing screams for it when using webcam!!

Wouldnt suprise me if a new Skype app comes out which lets you see the other people via video even if they cant see you i.e. one way

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
A Camera would be nice but its not a deal breaker for me. And 4x3 makes sense for mostly what the Ipad will be Runnning. Plus I'm a Huge fan of Older TV Shows, so that will be great for the Ipad, plus newer 16x9 shows will zoom with no appreciable cut off. 2:35 Films would'nt be getting much play from me anyhow, and When I do the screen is plenty big to letterbox it.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I've heard on reliable information from someone high up at Apple that:

The next version of the ipad will have GPS and 3g! We can expect it later in April too! Exciting stuff - I know. :p You early adopters should have waited.

More seriously I keep seeing the rumor that in the fall there will be another iPad or is it the new Touch? - that will have a smaller screen perhaps 5 or 7 inch.

But it's not about the hardware, its the fun you can have with it. I have a first gen Touch and it still as useful as when I got it. Sure the new ones have a faster processor but not that fast and no reason to get rid of it.
The iPad will be useful for years and I can't see anything hardware related happening that will make a big difference in that.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
iPad 2nd generation:

Same size,
No camera,
No USB,
No HDMI,
bigger storage,
Longer battery life,
Faster processor,
WiFi + 3G model only(maybe),
OLED in a couple of years or more.

What you are expecting from it:

Flash,
Multitasking,
OSX look-alike.

These are part of the software not the hardware and could be update in the iPad 1st Gen.

Still, you probably will not have flash, probably third party application will adapt to the iPad and not the other way around; multitasking eventually; they may improve the GUI for the only reason that too many apps and 11 pages could be a bit of a mess, but I don't think is that bad anyway.

For USB connectivity I actually expect more use of the bluetooth for printing and other stuff, and either USB and HDMI can be manage through the Dock port "somehow".

Will probably see the 2nd Gen next year anyway :D :apple:

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
hmm.. i wonder had Steve given us all that we wanted, what could we wait for?

here's my shortlist non-the-less
  • camera
  • multitasking
  • flash
  • dashboard like feature with multiple apps running side by side
  • native Mac softwares emulator (yes, probably in the 27,409,230th generation of the device)

just random, 10 years from now, do you think we'll still keep seeing more new generations of the existing products? i just find it amusing to see a kid using an iPod Touch 15th gen or something (of course, Touch then implies some sort of holographic interactivity etc)

brooks.curly

macrumors member
May 16, 2009
Missouri
I am holding out for the second gen as well. Not because I don't like the iPad as it is now, but as a rule of thumb you should always wait for the second generation of something. I am thinking of the MacBook Air - a lot of people bought it for its "wow" factor, but when you look back, the specs were pathetic. I believe the same can be said about the iPad. It's sexy, it's new, and it's less expensive than many predicted. But I am expecting more from Apple next time around, and will be waiting until next year to purchase an iPad. I'll just use my friend's one for the time being :D

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I'm sick of you guys. Think you are better by "holding out"? Well, you'll only miss out on the most "magical" device then. As the second poster said, the iPhone OS is much more mature than version iPhone OS 1.0. App store is well established. Technology is already explored with iPhone and iPod Touch. The risk of Version 1 faults was greater with iPhone 2G then with iPad 1.0 IMHO.

So while you are waiting for something that may not happen (camera..etc), I will be enjoying my iPad. Besides who needs a camera anyways? The iPhone camera is crappy, that is why I have a real digital camera. Multitasking is rumored for iPhone 4.0, and I'm sure will be translated over into iPad as well.

Enjoy that high horse you are on! Yes there will always be better and improved versions down the road, but not worth the wait....otherwise one will always wait for a better tomorrow while forgetting to enjoy the present. iPad is here, after 10+ years after Newton. Enjoy it goddamn it!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
...The main criticism of those who were expecting something other than a "large iPod touch" is that the iPad isn't running Snow Leopard, so is subject to the same "restrictions" as the iPhone and Touch. That isn't going to change with a v2 either....

+1. Well said. That and Flash. Just not going to happen.

brooks.curly

macrumors member
May 16, 2009
Missouri
I'm sick of you guys. Think you are better by "holding out"? Well, you'll only miss out on the most "magical" device then. As the second poster said, the iPhone OS is much more mature than version iPhone OS 1.0. App store is well established. Technology is already explored with iPhone and iPod Touch. The risk of Version 1 faults was greater with iPhone 2G then with iPad 1.0 IMHO.

So while you are waiting for something that may not happen (camera..etc), I will be enjoying my iPad. Besides who needs a camera anyways? The iPhone camera is crappy, that is why I have a real digital camera. Multitasking is rumored for iPhone 4.0, and I'm sure will be translated over into iPad as well.

Enjoy that high horse you are on! Yes there will always be better and improved versions down the road, but not worth the wait....otherwise one will always wait for a better tomorrow while forgetting to enjoy the present. iPad is here, after 10+ years after Newton. Enjoy it goddamn it!

No one thinks they are "better" for waiting for a relatively new technology to further develop. That's not being on a high horse, that is being prudent with your money and waiting for a device that suits you best. I am glad you are enthralled with the iPad, but I would like to see what Apple does with all the feedback within a year or so. Pre-ordering an iPad is pretty much a shot in the dark, as only a few people have actually held the thing. I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations though. I see a lot of potential here ;)

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
. Pre-ordering an iPad is pretty much a shot in the dark, as only a few people have actually held the thing.

This seems to be an unfair desire to have your cake and eat it too.

One of the primary iPad criticisms oft stated is that it's "just a big iPod Touch." Well, if that's the case, then in no way is pre-ordering an iPad a shot in the dark. There are tens of millions of iPod Touch and iPhone users who are extremely well versed in what the general user experience will be like on the iPad.

brooks.curly

macrumors member
May 16, 2009
Missouri
This seems to be an unfair desire to have your cake and eat it too.

One of the primary iPad criticisms oft stated is that it's "just a big iPod Touch." Well, if that's the case, then in no way is pre-ordering an iPad a shot in the dark. There are tens of millions of iPod Touch and iPhone users who are extremely well versed in what the general user experience will be like on the iPad.

This is a good point. Mr. Jobs did stress that millions of people already know how to use the iPad. I would just like to see what the geniuses at Apple can come up with after hearing of people's experience with the iPad, not the iPod touch. Whether you like it or not, they are two different products with different functions. At first I thought of the iPad as a big iPhone, but now I can see its value as a truly new innovation.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Hands down the funniest post. Clearly this poster is joking, right? You're not SERIOUS are you? Because if this is a joke post - I tip my hat to you. If you're even remotely serious, wow - just WOW.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I am holding out for the second gen as well. Not because I don't like the iPad as it is now, but as a rule of thumb you should always wait for the second generation of something. I am thinking of the MacBook Air - a lot of people bought it for its "wow" factor, but when you look back, the specs were pathetic. I believe the same can be said about the iPad. It's sexy, it's new, and it's less expensive than many predicted. But I am expecting more from Apple next time around, and will be waiting until next year to purchase an iPad. I'll just use my friend's one for the time being :D

well yes but.. The iPad is based on testing done through the phone and touch and so it really is a polished device with the best features of its predecessors and with little to be improved on with the current state of technology. That's not to say that the future won't bring changes but are they worth the wait without one?
Sure in the future we are looking at batteries that last a week, wireles USB in everything, maybe OLED screens Maybe 3D ! who knows but I'm pretty sure it won't be next year. Might as well get off the fence now and join the party. :apple:

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Hands down the funniest post. Clearly this poster is joking, right? You're not SERIOUS are you? Because if this is a joke post - I tip my hat to you. If you're even remotely serious, wow - just WOW.

The post is a bit overblown but I think the argument is fair enough. At some point you've got to look at a piece of technology and decide if it's capabilities are good enough now and is having it now more valuable than the potential improvements you may see in a year. For me, the iPad currently passes this test.

Pre-ordering is a rather a separate issue in my mind and I don't think it is really a rational decision. Instead it involves more emotional factors such as the desire to have the hot, new thing as soon as possible. I'll probably end up pre-ordering myself, although being in the UK I'll have had the chance to see plenty of reports from the field.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Why wait? It will be a long wait and by that time you can sell you current iPad and move onto the next gen if available.. Or you just don't have money to spare right now that's fine.

brooks.curly

macrumors member
May 16, 2009
Missouri
Or you just don't have money to spare right now that's fine.

That's a factor as well :(
I'm a poor college student without a job. If I did have the money, I would be very tempted, and it's hard to say whether I would still feel the same way about avoiding 1st gen anything. Right now I just couldn't get one if I wanted to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.