The Unprecedented, Contemptible GOP Quest to Sabotage Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 25, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/07/the-unprecedented-contemptible-gop-quest-to-sabotage-obamacare/278098/

Just how bad is it, really? Read the article. For some more, read this article in the Houston Chronicle about how Republican leadership is arm-twisting major sports leagues into not participating in Obamacare outreach:

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2013/06/cornyn-mcconnell-send-letters-to-major-sports-leagues-warning-them-not-to-embrace-obamacare/

2. MegamanX macrumors regular

I say it is high time Obama and the Dems call the GOP on this crap. Shut down the government oh and make sure it happens during the election year because they know the GOP will take a vast majority of the heat.
    Force the GOP to play this card.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Why is this new news? This has been their stance since day one and I hope they succeed. The unAffordable Healthcare Act is the worst piece of legislation ever signed into law. Sure their are a few good things in it but the vast majority of it is a massive tax on the middle class and businesses that IS resulting in people losing jobs or having their hours cut back to under 30 hours.

Why do you think they just pushed back the employer mandate another year? Unless some big changes are made to unravel ObamaCare it is doomed in its current form.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The party of obstruction. Obstruct healthcare, immigration, jobs and debt ceiling to name a few with NO plans of their own. Their platform seems to be, we're against anything and everything the President wants to do. They are so far from the party I once voted for and supported. Can we also mention the crazy **** they're doing at the state level?

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Repeal Obamacare and replace it with universal healthcare.

6. MegamanX macrumors regular

oh I agree with that. Just do not allow them to be separate bills. That needs to be a single bill.

But do not expect anything like universal healthcare come from the party of no.

Obamacare is better than what we had.

----------

Get back to me when you have a better system. Saying what we had before was working is just plan stupid. Even the idiot party (GOP) has said that it was not working and needed to be fix but have yet to offer a solution.

You know why they pushed back the employer mandate right? It is not because employers where not doing it. Hell in the end it will only be a small handful of employers who will be paying the penalty. It more so the vast majority who would not be required to pay the tax any how can get the paper work all in line and get all their ducks in a row so they do not have to pay it for failing to have all the paperwork lined up.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This is why Obamacare fails. Corporations, unions and political cronies are getting a pass while the American people get screwed. I'm glad the GOP forced the mandate to get pushed back for the American people as well.

Obama's tactics recently with the ACA stinks of someone in the back pocket of corporations and special interest.

8. ugahairydawgs, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'm not so sure how well that strategy would work when you factor in the following

1.) The ACA was a highly controversial piece of legislation that required Dems holding majorities in both chambers and control of the White House just to get it passed....and they had to do it on the fast track just to make sure their own people didn't have time to really think about it.

2.) The bill was so unpopular after its passing that it cost the Dems their majority in the House, their 60 vote majority in the Senate and has largely diminished the influence of the President even after surviving a tough 2012 election cycle.

3.) To this day there's still no huge support for the program (link and link)

Democrats have been trying to sell this bill for years now to the public and people still have not yet bought in. This reality is what has continued to embolden Republicans to the point where they would actually take the rhetoric to level of talking shutdown.

9. MegamanX macrumors regular

well have you look at why most employers will not have to pay. Guess what they already provide insurance for their employees. Just need to have the paper work in line to avoid paying the penality.
    Please get back to me when GOP offers a better alternative. Repeal is not a valid alternative.

The GOP has yet to offer up any alternative. What we had is not valid and was broken.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I agree that Republicans do need come up with a viable plan of their own. That's been the one thing about this whole debate that has always been baffling to me. Its been 4 years since the ACA was rammed through and for all the work the GOP has done to try and reign in or completely repeal the ACA, they've failed miserably to offer up their own solution.

I don't know what the solution to our health care issues in this country looks like, but anything that is done has to address the constantly (and rapidly) rising cost of health care. As long as the cost of care keeps tracking up the cost of insurance is going to continue to mirror it.

11. MegamanX macrumors regular

That is very true. While ACA is not the best it is by far better than what we had.
    Also the GOP screams about wasting money. How many millions has been wasted on the show votes. After 1 or 2 that is one thing 30+ later is another story.

12. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

They already did. It's called ObamaCare. Dreamed up by the Heritage Foundation years ago...

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If this is your worst, than worst has a lot to be desired. Healthcare versus civil rights being taken away with every form of the PATRIOT Act. Really. If you think jobs are more important than your rights as a citizen of this country, You may need to put some things in better perspective.

BL.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Obama is a big fan of both.

15. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I would say the patriot act is worse in that regard. It was a complete knee jerk reaction to 9-11 that essentially raped civil rights.